The Student Room Group

Health psychology as a career

Hi,

I'm currently in my 2nd year of university (studying cognitive neuroscience and psychology - BPS accredited) and I am interested in health psychology as a career, but have a few questions I would like to ask first!

1. Is experience necessary for the masters (if so, what sorts of experience would you suggest getting?)
2. Is the course competitive?
3. After completion of a doctorate, are there many jobs available within health psychology? - I've tried to find jobs online, but so far have only managed to find 2 or 3, so I'm just wondering if it's really worth doing all the hard work to just be unemployed at the end of it?

Thanks! :smile:
Hello :h:

I'm afraid I can't give any really helpful advice as I'm in a similar position! So I am interested in what others have to say. I'm going to do my MSc in Health Psychology in September.

As far as becoming a chartered Health Psychologist goes, you need to have the BPS Stage 1 and 2 qualifications, Stage 1 being an accredited Masters and Stage 2 being either a PhD and/or NHS training course (the stage 2 I am less sure about...). I suppose it depends on what you are wanting to do specifically.

If it helps, my MSc course was not competitive or hard to get onto. As long as you have got at least a good 2:1 and your application is good enough, you should be fine. Experience wasn't required to get onto Masters, although it can always look good on your CV if you have the time. Life after the masters is still a mystery to me, lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey!

Thanks for the heads up and well done on getting onto your masters in September. Whereabouts are you going to study for your masters?

I think that's the problem... It's just a big mystery and I like to know what's going on :'). I'm sure it'll work out. :smile:

Original post by catherineclyro
Hello :h:

I'm afraid I can't give any really helpful advice as I'm in a similar position! So I am interested in what others have to say. I'm going to do my MSc in Health Psychology in September.

As far as becoming a chartered Health Psychologist goes, you need to have the BPS Stage 1 and 2 qualifications, Stage 1 being an accredited Masters and Stage 2 being either a PhD and/or NHS training course (the stage 2 I am less sure about...). I suppose it depends on what you are wanting to do specifically.

If it helps, my MSc course was not competitive or hard to get onto. As long as you have got at least a good 2:1 and your application is good enough, you should be fine. Experience wasn't required to get onto Masters, although it can always look good on your CV if you have the time. Life after the masters is still a mystery to me, lol.
I am going to be studying at the University of Aberdeen :smile: and I am the same! My plan is to speak to the careers people when I get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending