Nourhan Wael
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I have to submit my choice for A Levels in 2 days and I would please like some help. I wanted to do Physiotherapy but also wanted to keep my choices opened for other science things, engineering, something to do with business etc... Was wondering should I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Business? or Biology, PE, maths, and business? * I enjoy PE so much more and much easier than Chemistry! However I feel like chemistry allows me to stay more broad with more choices later on. * Thanks in advance!
kurro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Maybe you can do chemistry, math, PE and biology/business.

Math will be sufficient enough for most engineering courses (except maybe aerospace as that would require physics too)

Then chem will also help with most medical fields. You won't technically need bio unless u have chem and maths or physics.

So chose 4 in AS then you should drop 1 in A2 as you don't need 4 at the end.
Ibby_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Nourhan Wael)
Hi, I have to submit my choice for A Levels in 2 days and I would please like some help. I wanted to do Physiotherapy but also wanted to keep my choices opened for other science things, engineering, something to do with business etc... Was wondering should I take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Business? or Biology, PE, maths, and business? * I enjoy PE so much more and much easier than Chemistry! However I feel like chemistry allows me to stay more broad with more choices later on. * Thanks in advance!
Do PE (especially if you enjoy it), I have applied for 2019 entry physiotherapy with PE, psychology and English Literature and Language. Most the people I have met do biology/PE or the two combined! Whatever your choice, deffo do biology as more universities accept it as a science opposed to PE (although high ranking uni's will take PE alone).

Biology and PE overlap into each other so that will help. To keep options open I'd suggest doing maths then choose between them and business (if interested in medicine you need them though).
Last edited by Ibby_; 9 months ago
Nourhan Wael
Rep:
?
Thanks! Do you think Physiotherapy, in general, has good opportunities for work? Because my parents are telling me this isn't a very good career (even though I enjoy it a lot!)
(Original post by Ibby_)
Do PE (especially if you enjoy it), I have applied for 2019 entry physiotherapy with PE, psychology and English Literature and Language. Most the people I have met do biology/PE or the two combined! Whatever your choice, deffo do biology as more universities accept it as a science opposed to PE (although high ranking uni's will take PE alone).

Biology and PE overlap into each other so that will help. To keep options open I'd suggest doing maths then choose between them and business (if interested in medicine you need them though).
JIMBO789
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The former is more useful, but harder. Really depends on whether you want to put in the work to get top grades
Nourhan Wael
Rep:
?
Thanks! But from the research I have done, for medical fields, I need both Biology and Chemistry... Do you know more about this area? Thanks
(Original post by kurro)
Maybe you can do chemistry, math, PE and biology/business.

Math will be sufficient enough for most engineering courses (except maybe aerospace as that would require physics too)

Then chem will also help with most medical fields. You won't technically need bio unless u have chem and maths or physics.

So chose 4 in AS then you should drop 1 in A2 as you don't need 4 at the end.
Ibby_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks! Do you think Physiotherapy, in general, has good opportunities for work? Because my parents are telling me this isn't a very good career (even though I enjoy it a lot!)
You are basically guaranteed a job at the end of your course. The NHS are desperate for more medical staff. My dad is a doctor and he agrees, he said that the NHS hope that in the future physio's and other non doctor healthcare staff (like nurses) can do the work of GP's to take some strain off the NHS.
The website unistats shows the data for jobs and money and stuff; as well as comparison between uni courses. Have a look there as it may help with your decision.
Last edited by Ibby_; 9 months ago
Nourhan Wael
Rep:
?
Thank you so much!
(Original post by Ibby_)
You are basically guaranteed a job at the end of your course. The NHS are desperate for more medical staff. My dad is a doctor and he agrees, he said that the NHS hope that in the future physio's and other non doctor healthcare staff (like nurses) can do the work of GP's to take some strain off the NHS.
The website unistats shows the data for jobs and money and stuff; as well as comparison between uni courses. Have a look there as it may help with your decision.
kurro
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thanks! But from the research I have done, for medical fields, I need both Biology and Chemistry... Do you know more about this area? Thanks
Not necessarily, it depends on the university.

I researched bristol uni as that was on my mind for some reason. (good Russell group uni tho)
So the requirements for Bristol for medicine are: 'AAA including AA in Chemistry and either Biology, Physics or Mathematics' So you don't need both biology and chemistry for medicine. You can have chemistry and maths if you want.

Biochemistry at Bristol: 'AAA including Chemistry and another core science/mathematics subject or A*AB including A in Chemistry and B in another core science/mathematics subject' Again biology not needed.

Pharmacology at Bristol: 'AAB including Chemistry and one of the following subjects: Biology or Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics'

You might not know what university you want to go right now. So you can check all the requirements for the top unis for medical related courses. Or any of the other courses you might want to go to. (There are probably more medical related courses, but those are the only ones I know sorry haha)

So right now you should pick maths as you already suggested it and it will open a lot of doors like engineering and these medical fields like above as they accept chemistry and maths.
And you also like PE, which is good as you want to chose subjects that you enjoy at a level.
So now you have 2 and 2 to go.
I don't think you really need business for anything. As my friend wanted to do accounting so he chose business as one of his choices. It turns out he didn't need any specific subject for accounting. What course did you have in mind to go with business?

The last 2 should be ones that you enjoy too, but make sure they can also widen your future path. E.g if a medical related course is at the top of priority list then you need chemistry.

Sorry if any of that doesn't make sense, I'm doing this with 3 hours of sleep
Last edited by kurro; 9 months ago
Nourhan Wael
Rep:
?
(Original post by kurro)
Not necessarily, it depends on the university.

I researched bristol uni as that was on my mind for some reason. (good Russell group uni tho)
So the requirements for Bristol for medicine are: 'AAA including AA in Chemistry and either Biology, Physics or Mathematics' So you don't need both biology and chemistry for medicine. You can have chemistry and maths if you want.

Biochemistry at Bristol: 'AAA including Chemistry and another core science/mathematics subject or A*AB including A in Chemistry and B in another core science/mathematics subject' Again biology not needed.

Pharmacology at Bristol: 'AAB including Chemistry and one of the following subjects: Biology or Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics or Further Mathematics'

You might not know what university you want to go right now. So you can check all the requirements for the top unis for medical related courses. Or any of the other courses you might want to go to. (There are probably more medical related courses, but those are the only ones I know sorry haha)

So right now you should pick maths as you already suggested it and it will open a lot of doors like engineering and these medical fields like above as they accept chemistry and maths.
And you also like PE, which is good as you want to chose subjects that you enjoy at a level.
So now you have 2 and 2 to go.
I don't think you really need business for anything. As my friend wanted to do accounting so he chose business as one of his choices. It turns out he didn't need any specific subject for accounting. What course did you have in mind to go with business?

The last 2 should be ones that you enjoy too, but make sure they can also widen your future path. E.g if a medical related course is at the top of priority list then you need chemistry.

Sorry if any of that doesn't make sense, I'm doing this with 3 hours of sleep
Thank you so much, that's really helpful! However, the problem is that I think I wanna do Biology instead of Chemistry... Do you think that's okay? Because what I mainly had in mind is physiotherapy which means I kind of really need Bio. Do you think I can still get into some medical fields using Biology and not chemistry? THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ABOVE RESPONSE (really appreciated)!
kurro
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Oh, I see if physiotherapy is one of your top medical courses, then you don't need chemistry it's totally fine. Just biology and any other two subjects will do at A2. (I checked a few of the top uni's in the UK for requirements).

But you have to be okay not going into medicine, pharmacy, and courses like that as there is a high possibility of chemistry being a requirement. There could be others that you could go with just bio, but again I have no idea about other courses sorry ahahah
If you have more courses in mind I can check them for you for requirements. Or you can look for requirements for uni's that you might want to go to on the websites.

So now you have maths, P.E, and biology. Now, you need to chose1 more for AS.
Most people chose 4 in AS then drop their weaker subject after they get AS results, uni's only need 3 subjects. But it is totally okay for choosing 3 subjects too from the start as many students do that as well.

It's all Gucci
I got nothing else to do lmao (although maybe I should be revising :/ )
----_----
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Dont stress about it. If you change your mind at any point before results day, drop the school an email. You can also change your options on results day and enrolment day as well as at any time in the first few weeks/ half term
Nourhan Wael
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Ok Thanks!
(Original post by ----_----)
Dont stress about it. If you change your mind at any point before results day, drop the school an email. You can also change your options on results day and enrolment day as well as at any time in the first few weeks/ half term
Nourhan Wael
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Thank you!!!

(Original post by kurro)
Oh, I see if physiotherapy is one of your top medical courses, then you don't need chemistry it's totally fine. Just biology and any other two subjects will do at A2. (I checked a few of the top uni's in the UK for requirements).

But you have to be okay not going into medicine, pharmacy, and courses like that as there is a high possibility of chemistry being a requirement. There could be others that you could go with just bio, but again I have no idea about other courses sorry ahahah
If you have more courses in mind I can check them for you for requirements. Or you can look for requirements for uni's that you might want to go to on the websites.

So now you have maths, P.E, and biology. Now, you need to chose1 more for AS.
Most people chose 4 in AS then drop their weaker subject after they get AS results, uni's only need 3 subjects. But it is totally okay for choosing 3 subjects too from the start as many students do that as well.

It's all Gucci
I got nothing else to do lmao (although maybe I should be revising :/ )
12sarah34
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ibby_)
yeah I definitely agree with this, i graduated in july started work 2 weeks after, there a lot of jobs both in NHS and private

follow Sarahs_truths for more advice and tips
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (408)
43.73%
No (97)
10.4%
I'm not old enough (428)
45.87%

Watched Threads