The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics 7136 - P3 (Economic principles and issues) - 04th June 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Csnkuo
am I the only one who said how government spending increases Ad and the benefits of that

I did this too
Original post by CALLUM2412
And Q30.
Was index value 107?

That’s what I did
Reply 202
It’s 13 marks if u don’t do conclusion
Original post by TAEuler
10 marker:
Can show increase in affordability but limitiations:
1. Doesn't show whole of 2007
2. Doesn't show banks' willingness to lend mortgages
3. Real GDP per capita issues
4. Only showing the incomes of house purchasers is stupid because they actually have enough money to buy houses, what about people who can't?
Overall, data needs to be improved to come to a better conclusion, maybe nominal wage rise for the bottom 40% of incomes?
15 marker:
Diagrams I drew: Economic cycle, shift right in AD
Economic cycle: initially in bust, people not willing to make a significant investment on houses and banks unwilling to lend.
AD: From recovery, small POG or NOG leads to increase in willingness to lend and invest in buying a house. So shift right, drives up prices and quantity bought and sold. BUT: further shift right due to speculation and a increase in inelasticity due to rise in price of rent, a substitute.
25 marker: Had to rush!
Diagram: subsidy
Should intervene: Subsidy, reduce COP of producers, can use to buy better technology, allows for greater dynamic efficiency so maybe LRAS rises. But, what if subsidy used to pay wages or shareholders, where's the subsidy coming from. Is it healthcare or education? And since the primary governmental objective in economics is to maximise economic utility, this doesn't do it, especially if they can't afford houses.
Had to rush second point: deregulation in planning laws, could allow for costs reduce as less spent to ensure laws being met. But what if health and safety laws? Maybe injury or death could occur? Not good!
Didn't have enough time for a judgement, on a 25 marker is 20 the max you can get with no judgement?
II think the grade boundaries will be lower than last year
Those multiple choice questions were soul destroying.
Debt to equity was 0.2:1 as £200k was outstanding and the additional £300k was raised capital (not debt)
Yeah that's what I wrote about. I wrote about the inelastic supply of housing makes increases in demand cause high increases in price, and also about how the low bank rate over the time period allowed for asset prices to rise via the monetary transmission mechanism. I forgot what I wrote about for my third point, memory of a goldfish
Original post by Aimankappaya
I thought for the 15 marker price of houses were increasing
What was the 15 marker asking again?
That's not true if you do evaluation throughout the essay. I think to get into the top band you need a judgement though, so max 20 marks.
Original post by Armend
It’s 13 marks if u don’t do conclusion
For the 25 marker I put that the government should intervene through the help to buy because that makes housing more affordable. Housing is a durable good and an asset so it would reduce the inequality in the distribution of income and wealth. This is also a macro objective. Drew a Lorenz curve but I think I labelled wrong. Did anyone do this?

I also said they should intervene and instead use rent controls such as maximum pricing but this could lead to black markets and unregulated housing etc.
Increasing affordability means more people have money to spend on imports and that would have negative impact of the current account balance of payments.
Overall gov should spend to help subsidise to increase house for long run benefit on the market whilst help to buy to help affordability??

Am I completely off?
Theres a black market for housing????
Original post by Indyyyy
For the 25 marker I put that the government should intervene through the help to buy because that makes housing more affordable. Housing is a durable good and an asset so it would reduce the inequality in the distribution of income and wealth. This is also a macro objective. Drew a Lorenz curve but I think I labelled wrong. Did anyone do this?

I also said they should intervene and instead use rent controls such as maximum pricing but this could lead to black markets and unregulated housing etc.
Increasing affordability means more people have money to spend on imports and that would have negative impact of the current account balance of payments.
Overall gov should spend to help subsidise to increase house for long run benefit on the market whilst help to buy to help affordability??

Am I completely off?
Reply 211
Wasn’t the 25 mark question on government spending in the housing market rather than government intervention
government spending i.e subsidies is a form of government intervention.
Original post by Havba
Wasn’t the 25 mark question on government spending in the housing market rather than government intervention
Who says it would've been done via subsidies? The government can directly give out contracts for companies to build houses and pay for them. The extracts made no mention of subsidies, just spending on helping first time buyers and such.
Original post by smhedfkuwj
government spending i.e subsidies is a form of government intervention.
I said subsidies is an example of government spending, I didn't say it's the example that had to be used in the exam. And by the way, schemes such as a universal credit is a subsidy, which was mentioned in Extract E.
Original post by goatiee
Who says it would've been done via subsidies? The government can directly give out contracts for companies to build houses and pay for them. The extracts made no mention of subsidies, just spending on helping first time buyers and such.
Yh I said about subsidies as a form of GOV spending to resolve the clear housing market failure
Original post by smhedfkuwj
I said subsidies is an example of government spending, I didn't say it's the example that had to be used in the exam. And by the way, schemes such as a universal credit is a subsidy, which was mentioned in Extract E.
Did u also talk about why prices had fallen
Original post by goatiee
Yeah that's what I wrote about. I wrote about the inelastic supply of housing makes increases in demand cause high increases in price, and also about how the low bank rate over the time period allowed for asset prices to rise via the monetary transmission mechanism. I forgot what I wrote about for my third point, memory of a goldfish
Reply 217
Omg noooo I talked about the impacts of government spending on macro economics performance 😭😭😭
Original post by Cheeselord4
Yh I said about subsidies as a form of GOV spending to resolve the clear housing market failure
That’s still relevant tho. U can answer 25markers from all different angles
Original post by Havba
Omg noooo I talked about the impacts of government spending on macro economics performance 😭😭😭
Yes, in London you'll find a lot of unregulated provision of housing like in makeshift bedrooms rented out to people on the cheap and garages that don't comply with legislation.

The point on rentcontrols was more theory because they government doesn't do it but the extract e suggested they may do
Original post by DOGGYKUTHA
Theres a black market for housing????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending