AQA A-level Geography 7037 - Paper 1 - 22nd May 2019 Watch

Poll: How did your AQA A-level Geography Paper 1 go?
Loved the paper - Feeling positive (67)
7.24%
The paper was reasonable (266)
28.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (342)
36.97%
It was TERRIBLE (250)
27.03%
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
AQA A-level Geography 7037 - Paper 1 - 22nd May

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... It's all here :gthumb: Feel free to add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others :smartass:

This thread covers the following papers:
  • 7037 Physical geography 2h 30m 22 May 2019 pm
:rave:

The official specification: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...37-SP-2016.PDF
Spoiler:
Show
Component 1: Physical geography
What's assessed
-Section A: Water and carbon cycles
-Section B: either Hot desert systems and landscapes or Coastal -systems and landscapes or Glacial systems and landscapes
-Section C: either Hazards or Ecosystems under stress

Specimen and past papers:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/geog...ment-resources
:goodluck:

Last edited by 8472; 3 months ago
shawoltina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Helo, what is your exam technique for 20 markers? Outside an exam hall, I am able to score 17-18 marks but when in exam, I can only score up to 14-15. I tend to do a lot of knowledge booming, but how can I make sure that I will have secured high marks in my 20 markers?
idk01
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I feel the exact same: I have quite good knowledge of the course however I find it very difficult to tailor my answer to the mark scheme and therefore I've never got higher than 18/20. I think the important thing to remember is that there's AO1 (geographical knowledge & theory) and AO2 (explaining this within the context of the question) and they both each make up 50% of the question.

Then have a few sentences defining any key words as an introduction and perhaps say to what extent you agree (if it's a 'to what extent' question). My teachers have stressed how important the conclusion is as you need to do an evaluation and explicitly answer the question, (some of my 20 marker answers have had good content but I haven't scored above 12 on them because I wasn't linking back to the question).

Then for your main argument, use PEEL (point, explain, evidence, link back to question). You can also do an evaluation (how strong your points are) at the end, but I prefer to do them after each point I make.
E.g. if the question was a statement saying - 'coastal management is an effective way of halting natural processes', to what extent do you agree? - one of your points could be:

Point- There are many coastal engineering strategies used along UK coastlines in order to stop erosional processes, such as corrasion, in particular, hard engineering such as sea walls.
Explain- Sea walls are extremely affective in that they absorb most of the energy from waves, preventing it from eroding the natural coastline, a natural process that would normally occur.
Evidence - A sea wall has been implemented at Swanage beach and has proved very successful in preventing erosional processes that the beach is vulnerable to.
Link back to question - Therefore, there are many methods of coastal management, such as sea walls & groynes, which can almost entirely halt natural processes occurring on the coast, in an effective manner.
Evaluation - However, sea walls are very expensive and extremely ugly. There huge cost may disincentivise the local council from installing one, especially if integrated coastal zone management is occurring and the entire coastline is being dealt with holistically and other areas of coast are deemed more at risk or more valuable than this particular shoreline. Furthermore, its unpleasant appearance may reduce local tourism, an exogenous factor which is key for small towns to generate money, further exacerbating the economic issue.

(Original post by shawoltina)
Helo, what is your exam technique for 20 markers? Outside an exam hall, I am able to score 17-18 marks but when in exam, I can only score up to 14-15. I tend to do a lot of knowledge booming, but how can I make sure that I will have secured high marks in my 20 markers?
shawoltina
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you so much for your reply and the small example you have given. I've got one qs to ask if thats okay, whats an indicator to show that you have written enough to answer, would it be one example hard engineering, one example of soft engineering?
(Original post by Fhutton17)
I feel the exact same: I have quite good knowledge of the course however I find it very difficult to tailor my answer to the mark scheme and therefore I've never got higher than 18/20. I think the important thing to remember is that there's AO1 (geographical knowledge & theory) and AO2 (explaining this within the context of the question) and they both each make up 50% of the question.

Then have a few sentences defining any key words as an introduction and perhaps say to what extent you agree (if it's a 'to what extent' question). My teachers have stressed how important the conclusion is as you need to do an evaluation and explicitly answer the question, (some of my 20 marker answers have had good content but I haven't scored above 12 on them because I wasn't linking back to the question).

Then for your main argument, use PEEL (point, explain, evidence, link back to question). You can also do an evaluation (how strong your points are) at the end, but I prefer to do them after each point I make.
E.g. if the question was a statement saying - 'coastal management is an effective way of halting natural processes', to what extent do you agree? - one of your points could be:

Point- There are many coastal engineering strategies used along UK coastlines in order to stop erosional processes, such as corrasion, in particular, hard engineering such as sea walls.
Explain- Sea walls are extremely affective in that they absorb most of the energy from waves, preventing it from eroding the natural coastline, a natural process that would normally occur.
Evidence - A sea wall has been implemented at Swanage beach and has proved very successful in preventing erosional processes that the beach is vulnerable to.
Link back to question - Therefore, there are many methods of coastal management, such as sea walls & groynes, which can almost entirely halt natural processes occurring on the coast, in an effective manner.
Evaluation - However, sea walls are very expensive and extremely ugly. There huge cost may disincentivise the local council from installing one, especially if integrated coastal zone management is occurring and the entire coastline is being dealt with holistically and other areas of coast are deemed more at risk or more valuable than this particular shoreline. Furthermore, its unpleasant appearance may reduce local tourism, an exogenous factor which is key for small towns to generate money, further exacerbating the economic issue.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Man I can't wait to get this paper over with.. I hate geography so much lol. I just gonna bang out for an A hopefully and never look at it again
idk01
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This is the problem, AQA don't explicitly say how much to write, I don't think anybody really knows. There are many approaches you can take e.g. you could do 4 points each of them being on approaches to coastal management (i.e. hold the line, advance the line, retreat the line, do nothing) and talk about how different methods are used (e.g. advance the line with groynes, or hold the line with beach nourishment (soft engineering)). You should be spending about 20-25 mins on each one so as long as you follow that structure then I reckon 4, maybe 5 points will be plenty.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the conclusion is a perfect opportunity to talk about the issue on a temporal scale (you MUST mention temporal/spatial scales in order to score well), perhaps mention that with climate change there will be more high energy coastlines making it harder to halt natural processes. Also in the intro I'd advise (in this context) to define both hard and soft engineering if you're planning to use both in the answer i.e. hard engineering acts against nature, soft engineering works alongside nature.
(Original post by shawoltina)
Thank you so much for your reply and the small example you have given. I've got one qs to ask if thats okay, whats an indicator to show that you have written enough to answer, would it be one example hard engineering, one example of soft engineering?
shawoltina
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Honestly thank you so so much you have helped me incredibly, I will now put this technique into practice. I hope we can all achieve the highest grades
(Original post by Fhutton17)
This is the problem, AQA don't explicitly say how much to write, I don't think anybody really knows. There are many approaches you can take e.g. you could do 4 points each of them being on approaches to coastal management (i.e. hold the line, advance the line, retreat the line, do nothing) and talk about how different methods are used (e.g. advance the line with groynes, or hold the line with beach nourishment (soft engineering)). You should be spending about 20-25 mins on each one so as long as you follow that structure then I reckon 4, maybe 5 points will be plenty.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the conclusion is a perfect opportunity to talk about the issue on a temporal scale (you MUST mention temporal/spatial scales in order to score well), perhaps mention that with climate change there will be more high energy coastlines making it harder to halt natural processes. Also in the intro I'd advise (in this context) to define both hard and soft engineering if you're planning to use both in the answer i.e. hard engineering acts against nature, soft engineering works alongside nature.
Yw88
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
amazing! thank you so much, I've been looking for this for sooooo long!!
(Original post by idk01)

idk01
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You're welcome
(Original post by Yw88)
amazing! thank you so much, I've been looking for this for sooooo long!!
oreo_cupcake
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries would be like? For the exam and course work.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Yw88
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi idk, could you please show one of your full answers?
(Original post by idk01)

Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by oreo_cupcake)
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries would be like? For the exam and course work.
It'll probably be a few marks higher than last year. I'll see after Easter when I get my NEA back
oreo_cupcake
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m still doing my coursework :/
janellelamptey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
anyone have any practice questions burnt though all on the website
Mk5455
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
does anyone have prediction for alevel geography edexcel
paper 1
tectonic
coastal landscapes
carbon cycle and energy security
water cycle and water insecurity
paper 2
globalisation
superpowers
helath, human rights and intervention
regeneration
idk01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is AQA, go away
(Original post by Mk5455)
does anyone have prediction for alevel geography edexcel
paper 1
tectonic
coastal landscapes
carbon cycle and energy security
water cycle and water insecurity
paper 2
globalisation
superpowers
helath, human rights and intervention
regeneration
CuriousCat567
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Does anyone do coasts, water and carbon and hazards? Wanting a study buddy to exchange ideas, etc. I'm predicted an A...
janellelamptey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i do them , for sure pm!!
idk01
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm predicted an A* and do all of those topics, send me a message
(Original post by CuriousCat567)
Does anyone do coasts, water and carbon and hazards? Wanting a study buddy to exchange ideas, etc. I'm predicted an A...
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
who's absolutely screwed?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (304)
15.17%
The paper was reasonable (1108)
55.29%
Not feeling great about that exam... (435)
21.71%
It was TERRIBLE (157)
7.83%

Watched Threads