AQA A-level Philosphy 7172 - P1 Epistemology and moral philosophy - 05th June 2019 Watch

• Volunteer Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
AQA A-level Philosphy 7172 - Paper 1: Epistemology and moral philosophy - 05th June

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... It's all here :gthumb: Feel free to add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others :smartass:

This thread covers the following papers:
  • 7172 Paper 1: Epistemology and moral philosophy (new) 3h 05 June 2019 am
:rave:

The official specification: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...72-SP-2017.PDF
Spoiler:
Show
Paper 1: Epistemology and moral philosophy
What's assessed
Sections 1 and 2

1. Epistemology
2. Moral philosophy

Specimen and past papers:
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/phil...ment-resources
:goodluck:

blurryyface
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Making my revision guide by writing up answers to past papers/ possible questions, instead of notes.
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I hate Epistemology
cgj300399
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Doing similar to you - have to be aware tho that limits of knowledge was not involved in past spec!
(Original post by blurryyface)
Making my revision guide by writing up answers to past papers/ possible questions, instead of notes.
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make up your own exam questions for each subtopic so that you cover everything. How much revision have you done so far?
blurryyface
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh yeah, that's right! As long as we're confident with scepticism and the three doubts, it should hopefully not be too much of a problem!
blurryyface
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Doing that by looking at the spec, thank you so much! I've done bits and pieces here and there but I'm quite behind on Rationalism in Epistemology and Meta-Ethics. How about you?
(Original post by *Alisha*)
Make up your own exam questions for each subtopic so that you cover everything. How much revision have you done so far?
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Doing that by looking at the spec, thank you so much! I've done bits and pieces here and there but I'm quite behind on Rationalism in Epistemology and Meta-Ethics. How about you?
Yes same still got meta ethics to do. Do you think that could come up as a 25 marker?:/ I hate that topic so much and Ive got half of mind to do. I should be done with mind this week. Basically planning to do all topics before the school Term starts. I've got Direct, indirect and idealism left. For metaethics? could they ask us to outline an argument for say Emotivism? it doesn't say any specific arguments in the spec. But I'm still not sure
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Joe312
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes same still got meta ethics to do. Do you think that could come up as a 25 marker?:/ I hate that topic so much and Ive got half of mind to do. I should be done with mind this week. Basically planning to do all topics before the school Term starts. I've got Direct, indirect and idealism left. For metaethics? could they ask us to outline an argument for say Emotivism? it doesn't say any specific arguments in the spec. But I'm still not sure
For a meta-ethics 25 mark question they could ask you to assess/evaluate any of the 5 meta-ethical theories.

They could also ask you to assess cognitivism, non-cognitivism, realism or anti-realism.

They could also ask something like 'is the term 'good' meaningful?'
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Joe312)
For a meta-ethics 25 mark question they could ask you to assess/evaluate any of the 5 meta-ethical theories.

They could also ask you to assess cognitivism, non-cognitivism, realism or anti-realism.

They could also ask something like 'is the term 'good' meaningful?'
Wow I hope it doesn't come up. My teacher said it's highly unlikely. What would you write for that question if it came up? ("is the term good' meaningful?)
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is a great website for philosophy
https://philosophyalevel.com/aqa-phi...evision-notes/
Does anyone know any other websites?
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can someone explain the problems with Cognitivism and Anti realist theories?
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow I hope it doesn't come up. My teacher said it's highly unlikely. What would you write for that question if it came up? ("is the term good' meaningful?)
It's only Ayer who argues that the term good is meaningless so it would focus around whether his emotivism is correct.

I don't know how your teacher claims it's 'unlikely' to come up, except for the fact that technically anything is unlikely to come up! You have to prepare for it.

Also, any of the 3, 5 or 12 mark questions might be on meta-ethics, including any of the issues with the theories which you'll need to know for the 25 mark questions anyway so you have to learn it.

Here's my website: https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/
Last edited by Joe312; 1 week ago
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's only Ayer who argues that the term good is meaningless so it would focus around whether his emotivism is correct.

I don't know how your teacher claims it's 'unlikely' to come up, except for the fact that technically anything is unlikely to come up! You have to prepare for it.

Also, any of the 3, 5 or 12 mark questions might be on meta-ethics, including any of the issues with the theories which you'll need to know for the 25 mark questions anyway so you have to learn it.

Here's my website: https://alevelphilosophyandreligion.com/
Oh OK I'll make sure I plan a question on it in advance. Are you an examiner?
TheNeonCoffin
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
just saw this thread, I'm in Year 11. I'm thinking about choosing Philosophy as an A Level (along with Sociology and Psychology).

How has everyone here found studying Philosophy? Is there anything I should be aware of beforehand?

I've heard that there is a lot of content and stuff to learn. Would this be a problem?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Joe312
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh OK I'll make sure I plan a question on it in advance. Are you an examiner?
For some exam boards yes but not AQA.
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheNeonCoffin)
just saw this thread, I'm in Year 11. I'm thinking about choosing Philosophy as an A Level (along with Sociology and Psychology).

How has everyone here found studying Philosophy? Is there anything I should be aware of beforehand?

I've heard that there is a lot of content and stuff to learn. Would this be a problem?
Hey I do all three subjects that you're choosing. Philosophy isn't very content heavy compared to psychology and sociology as as long as you understand everything, it's much easier to recall in the exam. It's actually a difficult a level ngl but I've had really bad teachers so I've been getting Ds in the past, but now that I have a better teacher he taught me an essay structure to use which I consistently use and get As now. So it's possible to do really well. With philosophy as long as you've got a clear essay structure, you can do really well.

Goodluck for your GCSEs!
Last edited by username2427341; 1 week ago
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For some exam boards yes but not AQA.
Oh ok, I guess I know why. Could you do any predictions for us though? That would really help
username2427341
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know that there's not enough members in this thread. But I saw a psychology thread where you had to ask an exam question for the person above to answer. I think this would really help? I will start
Explain how a Utilitarian may attempt to justify killing in simulated games: (12 marks)
ZP731
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How does everyone structure their 25 markers, my teacher keeps telling us to criticise and refute every single point we make but her marking is not particularly reliable so I just want to check how everyone else has been told. Also how strong is your 'argument' in the 25 markers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads