GCSEs required for becoming a solicitor? Watch

xmohinix
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I'm half way through year 10 and want to go into law however I was unaware that apparently you should take History as a GCSE as opposed to Geography. So I'm currently studying geography but I don't know if I should switch to History. Is it necessary?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by xmohinix)
So I'm half way through year 10 and want to go into law however I was unaware that apparently you should take History as a GCSE as opposed to Geography. So I'm currently studying geography but I don't know if I should switch to History. Is it necessary?
History is a useful subject for Law but it's not absolutely necessary. It's too late to switch and you are better off sticking with Geography now. The main thing for Law is to work hard as it is a very academic subject and top Unis will require top grades - especially at A level
doggo.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
History at GCSE is not required, however History at A-level would be highly recommended. The only problem is that most sixth form colleges or schools require you to do History at GCSE in order to do the A-level, however, some don't. For a law degree few Universities actually require any particular subjects, but if you can't take History then you need a different essay subject such as English Literature.

Hope that helps
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It does not really matter at GCSE level. Geography is absolutely fine.

Law firms will want to see mostly "traditional" academic subjects at A-level, but any subjects are fine. Maths, Sciences, Geography, History, Languages and so on are all fine.

History is a well regarded GCSE and A-level. But not essential - lots of great alternatives if you are not into history!
Last edited by jacketpotato; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.45%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (90)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.65%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (129)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.56%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.71%

Watched Threads