Is it possible to get no black box insurance cheap at 18? Watch

TheParrot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all,

I'm hitting one year since my insurance started on the 28th of March. Naturally, this means I have the option to move away from More Than Smartwheels and further, away from black boxes. I'm running a 17 Fiesta ST-Line black edition 1.0 140ps. Black-box insurance for my first year wasn't too bad at all at £1500, and Morethan has offered insurance for £951.99 for my second year. Even while I don't want a box, the second cheapest quote I have is at £1500 from Insure The Box, with Go Girl being the cheapest no box insurer at £2400.

I'm desperate to lose this box, I'm already one-speed warning away from losing my insurance and from what I've read, that affects you for life. You could talk to me all day about how I just shouldn't speed, but in most of the cases where I was caught, it was safer to speed than to drop back (e.g. I overtake someone and they speed up, which happens all too frequently). I'll admit I bought the wrong car for a black box and so it's all too easy to go over the limit without even noticing.

Does anyone know where I can get a no black box insurance for a reasonable premium? I really cannot justify paying almost three times the cheapest rate for no box.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheParrot)
Hi all,

I'm hitting one year since my insurance started on the 28th of March. Naturally, this means I have the option to move away from More Than Smartwheels and further, away from black boxes. I'm running a 17 Fiesta ST-Line black edition 1.0 140ps. Black-box insurance for my first year wasn't too bad at all at £1500, and Morethan has offered insurance for £951.99 for my second year. Even while I don't want a box, the second cheapest quote I have is at £1500 from Insure The Box, with Go Girl being the cheapest no box insurer at £2400.

I'm desperate to lose this box, I'm already one-speed warning away from losing my insurance and from what I've read, that affects you for life. You could talk to me all day about how I just shouldn't speed, but in most of the cases where I was caught, it was safer to speed than to drop back (e.g. I overtake someone and they speed up, which happens all too frequently). I'll admit I bought the wrong car for a black box and so it's all too easy to go over the limit without even noticing.

Does anyone know where I can get a no black box insurance for a reasonable premium? I really cannot justify paying almost three times the cheapest rate for no box.
Yes, but clearly not on this car. Sell up or pay the premiums.
xDron3
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's possible with this car with a year NCB but you'll have to take your time running quotes from different websites and messing around with certain factors within the law (go low mileage and top up later, use the job title adjuster tool)

Also, call insurers up and brokers up and try to get the best deal. Adrian Flux is a name that's tossed around a lot.
SB8999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes it's possible, insurance for me at 18 with 1 year ncb on a 1.6 turbo corsa sri will be 950 but i'm changing to a vxr for 1400 instead
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is it possible? Sure. Is it possible with a Fiesta ST? Unlikely. The Fiesta as it is, is seen as a high-risk car. Never mind it's higher performance variants.

My advice? Suck up the box premiums or pay up. As infuriating as it is being sat behind drivers who've lost their gas pedal (and magically find it once you try to overtake), it isn't worth a brawl with your insurance. Honestly, just avoid overtaking unless it's absolutely necessary like following a slow tractor or a cyclist. When you can afford quotes without a box, you get that extra breathing room to deal with scum who decide to endanger you, themselves and anyone else on the road by accelerating while you're overtaking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads