Over 2 months till A level exams: HEEELLLLP!!

Watch
anon39393
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A level Subjects: English Literature A (AQA), History (AQA - Russia/Tudors), Religious Studies (OCR)

Achieved an A* in History, A in English Literature and a B in Religious Studies last year in my mocks without much revision. In my mocks this year (January), had a really bad day in my tudors paper and my English paper but managed to get B,B,B in all my subjects. I crammed my revision for the mocks all the nights before the exams and was couple marks off from the A grade boundaries in each subject. I feel i know all my content which my teachers have said, but I need to master my essay technique. My teachers predicted me A*, A*, A last year and after mocks still think I'm highly capable of achieving that. So far I got an A* in my English Lit coursework, still need to finish my History one.

With over two months till my exams, is it capable for me to achieve my desired grades or should I wise up? Any tips that would help me achieve those grades or get close to those grades? Any experiences people had similar to mine or just in general about revision and exam period? What exam techniques are people trying in my subjects or similar to mine(doesn't matter what exam board) and finally how do you guys think you'll do if you're taking exams this year as well please feel free to add anything else.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
daniellepotter_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
sounds like you could do really well! I'm also doing AQA History (Russia & Religious Conflict in Tudor England), how are you finding the coursework? Have you been given any advice to push it to the top levels? I think in history, once you know your content essay technique is quick to master - just make sure all factors are being outlined in the introduction and your line of argument is interwoven throughout all your analysis to ensure a substantiated judgement is achieved.
anon39393
Rep:
?
lol finally someone replied :') Coursework I'm doing 100 years before WW1 and what was the main cause. TBH I'm not finding it that difficult. I've finished my drafts so I'm just going over everything and making sure it's tight and that there is no waffling in any areas (i'm very prone to doing that) My teacher says I'm on the right track and says i should be fine but she says can't tell me too much meaning i dont know what grade I'm at, so that's annoying. How are you finding it? Only advice I've been given is to improve my essay technique, they say my knowledge and understanding of the content is perfect, I just have a tendency to write in waffley and at times convoluted way which lowers me down. In English it happened at the start of the year but I got it on lock and now that's not an issue but in History it's just came out of nowhere which is ridiculous I feel i Can definitely get an A in Religious Studies, an A/A* in English but History i dunno where it's gone wrong. It's supposed to be my best subject. I always master the source question in mocks (always get higher than a 25) but my essay scores have recently fluctuated. Got like Above 20/25 at the start of the year, in mocks I got around 14-16 on each one. A recent essay i just handed in a got 20/25. It's just annoying.
(Original post by daniellepotter_)
sounds like you could do really well! I'm also doing AQA History (Russia & Religious Conflict in Tudor England), how are you finding the coursework? Have you been given any advice to push it to the top levels? I think in history, once you know your content essay technique is quick to master - just make sure all factors are being outlined in the introduction and your line of argument is interwoven throughout all your analysis to ensure a substantiated judgement is achieved.
daniellepotter_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in such a similar situation with essays haha, often get told my English style is good but can be waffley so my point doesn't come across as I intend it to. feel like it's quite hit and miss with how well I do. Got a B at AS level but hoping for higher this year. Doing my coursework on the causes of the English witch-craze, it's kinda interesting but I want to get it done now at a good grade, my teacher is the same, she says she can't give us much feedback so I don't really know how to maximise my marks which is annoying

(Original post by anon39393)
lol finally someone replied :') Coursework I'm doing 100 years before WW1 and what was the main cause. TBH I'm not finding it that difficult. I've finished my drafts so I'm just going over everything and making sure it's tight and that there is no waffling in any areas (i'm very prone to doing that) My teacher says I'm on the right track and says i should be fine but she says can't tell me too much meaning i dont know what grade I'm at, so that's annoying. How are you finding it? Only advice I've been given is to improve my essay technique, they say my knowledge and understanding of the content is perfect, I just have a tendency to write in waffley and at times convoluted way which lowers me down. In English it happened at the start of the year but I got it on lock and now that's not an issue but in History it's just came out of nowhere which is ridiculous I feel i Can definitely get an A in Religious Studies, an A/A* in English but History i dunno where it's gone wrong. It's supposed to be my best subject. I always master the source question in mocks (always get higher than a 25) but my essay scores have recently fluctuated. Got like Above 20/25 at the start of the year, in mocks I got around 14-16 on each one. A recent essay i just handed in a got 20/25. It's just annoying.
anon39393
Rep:
?
History coursework is tragic, but it's doable. Much harder than English coursework

(Original post by daniellepotter_)
I'm in such a similar situation with essays haha, often get told my English style is good but can be waffley so my point doesn't come across as I intend it to. feel like it's quite hit and miss with how well I do. Got a B at AS level but hoping for higher this year. Doing my coursework on the causes of the English witch-craze, it's kinda interesting but I want to get it done now at a good grade, my teacher is the same, she says she can't give us much feedback so I don't really know how to maximise my marks which is annoying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (180)
44.33%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (45)
11.08%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
7.88%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (86)
21.18%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (40)
9.85%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (23)
5.67%

Watched Threads