V1466 – Representation of the People (Automatic By-elections) Bill 2019 Watch

Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of the opinion, aye (11)
23.4%
Of the contrary, no (28)
59.57%
Abstain (8)
17.02%
This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
V1466 – Representation of the People (Automatic By-elections) Bill 2019, DayneD89 MP, cranbrook_aspie MP

Representation of the People (Automatic By-elections) Bill 2019

An Act to ensure that by-elections are held when an MP changes party.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Automatic By-elections
(1) When a member of parliament resigns from the political party they were elected under at the last parliamentary election in that constituency, they are automatically appointed to the post of Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds; unless
iiii(a) the next general election is due within the next 6 months.

2: Commencement, Short Title and Extent
(1) This Act may be cited as the Representation of the People (Automatic By-elections) Act 2019; and
(2) This bill shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force on royal assent.

NotesMr Speaker, when we ask our constituents to elect us to represent them in this place we do so in the knowledge that some will vote based on who they think will make the best representative for their constituency, but many will vote for the party they feel will represent them best in parliament, and will have little to no knowledge on their local MP.

This Bill would rectify the situation by forcing a by-election that the sitting MP would be eligible to stand in if they change parties after being elected under that party at the last general election.

Note that someone elected as an independent MP would be able to join and leave parties without triggering a by-election as they would not be resigning from the party they were elected under. Note also that the Steward of the Chiltern Hundreds is one the offices MPs are assigned to if they wish to retire (MPs cannot technically resign) as this triggers a by-election in which they are able to stand if they desire.
Last edited by Saracen's Fez; 8 months ago
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It is a nay from me, as I indicated in the initial debate.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Abstain - horrific SPaG remains.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Abstain - horrific SPaG remains.
Tbf I'd fixed it in the version I sent to Fez.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
(Original post by DayneD89)
Tbf I'd fixed it in the version I sent to Fez.
Unfortunately you failed to mention that you'd made SPAG changes so I just copied over the version I had.

I've updated the OP now.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It's pretty simple: the individual is elected, it is the seat of the individual, if the constituents do not agree with the individual they can get rid of them come the next election.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
We elect individuals not parties. So nay.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
i agree that many if or most vote for parties and not people. you could put in a monkey and some people would still vote for 'their' party (see the last US election).

but the principle that we vote for people and not parties is too important, so i vote nay. if this bill passes, we might as well white-out all personal names on the ballot.
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
Unfortunately you failed to mention that you'd made SPAG changes so I just copied over the version I had.

I've updated the OP now.
Dw, not having a moan ^.^

Cheers for making the changes though
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Joleee)
i agree that many if or most vote for parties and not people. you could put in a monkey and some people would still vote for 'their' party (see the last US election).

but the principle that we vote for people and not parties is too important, so i vote nay. if this bill passes, we might as well white-out all personal names on the ballot.
No, because both can be important. If people like a person they will vote for them over their party alignment, which is why this allows them to stand in the by-election. If the names are not known, as is the case with most constituents as I showed in the debate, then people will vote based on the party.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by DayneD89)
No, because both can be important. If people like a person they will vote for them over their party alignment, which is why this allows them to stand in the by-election. If the names are not known, as is the case with most constituents as I showed in the debate, then people will vote based on the party.
both are important - but what this bill is doing is endorsing identity politics. it's telling the British public that at the end of the day who your local MP is doesn't really matter - so long as there's bums in seats. it equally reduces MPs to voting machines, not persons who actually care about their local constituency and the promotion of good ideas.

i realise that identity politics is part of the political game but an Act of Parliament should not be endorsing it.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
One Aye has been removed due to an ineligible vote by CrazyPantha27.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
The Ayes to the right: 11
The Noes to the left: 28
Abstentions: 8

The Noes have it! The Noes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 94%
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (15)
68.18%
No (7)
31.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise