The Student Room Group

Bio question

What is the difference between coronary sulcus and coronary sinus?

Please help

# macpatgh-Sheldon

and anyone else please :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Kalabamboo
What is the difference between coronary sulcus and coronary sinus?

Please help

# macpatgh-Sheldon

and anyone else please :smile:

The coronary sulcus is the groove between the atria and ventricles. The coronary sinus is the vein that all the cardiac veins drain into. The coronary sinus then drains into the right atrium.
Reply 2
Original post by Jpw1097
The coronary sulcus is the groove between the atria and ventricles. The coronary sinus is the vein that all the cardiac veins drain into. The coronary sinus then drains into the right atrium.

Thanks a lot! was wondering how does the coronary sinus drain into the right atrium? Does it connect do the inferior/superior vena cava or something else? I know that deoxygenated blood enters the right atrium through the superior vena cava and inferior vena cava and so am trying to link it to the coronary sinus.
Hi @Kalabamboo

I notice you tried to tag me here, but you typed # instead of @, so I never saw it!

I have answered the Q on your other post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=82169852&highlight=

but I suppose I was looking at the tinier aspect of things, and actually I was thinking of the left posterior (right coronary) and anterior (left coronary) AORTIC sinuses NOT the coronary sinus, and missing the big picture, as well as forgetting my cardiac anatomy after a mere 10 years!
Please pay more heed to this post WITH @Jpw1097 's answer, which is the correct one for coronary sinus. (Sorry if I confused you!)

M
Reply 4
Original post by Kalabamboo
Thanks a lot! was wondering how does the coronary sinus drain into the right atrium? Does it connect do the inferior/superior vena cava or something else? I know that deoxygenated blood enters the right atrium through the superior vena cava and inferior vena cava and so am trying to link it to the coronary sinus.

No, the coronary sinus drains directly into the right atrium.

You're right, the superior vena cava (SVC) drains blood from the head, neck and upper limbs while the inferior vena cava (IVC) receives blood from the rest of the body. The cardiac veins (small, middle and great cardiac veins) join the coronary sinus, which in turn drains directly into the right atrium. These cardiac veins contain deoxygenated blood from the heart - remember, the heart has its own blood supply (coronary arteries) and drainage.
Reply 5
Original post by Jpw1097
No, the coronary sinus drains directly into the right atrium.

You're right, the superior vena cava (SVC) drains blood from the head, neck and upper limbs while the inferior vena cava (IVC) receives blood from the rest of the body. The cardiac veins (small, middle and great cardiac veins) join the coronary sinus, which in turn drains directly into the right atrium. These cardiac veins contain deoxygenated blood from the heart - remember, the heart has its own blood supply (coronary arteries) and drainage.

Ah thank you so so much for clarifying - this has helped so much !!:smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending