The Student Room Group

Is it okay to give my 7 and 10 year old siblings daily political briefings?

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for your input. Me and my siblings have a three year age gap. I did this with them since they started secondary. Yeah I also helped them with their English homework because that’s the subject that I’m currently studying at a levels.
Let's ask them about Brexit and the Tories!
Original post by Coffee567
Thank you for your input. Me and my siblings have a three year age gap. I did this with them since they started secondary. Yeah I also helped them with their English homework because that’s the subject that I’m currently studying at a levels.

That’s nice. You guys have a good age gap.
I try to help them all round but I have my favourites 😌
Original post by Other_Owl
Let's ask them about Brexit and the Tories!

..I think they would come up with more intelligent opinions than those we are currently paying to do the job! 😂
I think it's great that ur telling them about this stuff. im 13 and ever since I was little I've listened to the news read newspapers etc about politics, it's very interesting and I thoroughly enjoy it 😄
When I was about 7 my dad made my learn all the leaders and deputy of the party's and their name. For the 10 year old in school when I was that age we did a mini parliament, had a pm, voted, different party's and different roles. I love politics and Modern Studies now.I think both learn some but expand more with the 10 year old
Original post by csh19120522
I think it's great that ur telling them about this stuff. im 13 and ever since I was little I've listened to the news read newspapers etc about politics, it's very interesting and I thoroughly enjoy it 😄

Same here!
I think it’s good topic area to be well informed with as it really does affect everyone’s day to day life, no matter who you are or what you do
Original post by Lilyeve1
When I was about 7 my dad made my learn all the leaders and deputy of the party's and their name. For the 10 year old in school when I was that age we did a mini parliament, had a pm, voted, different party's and different roles. I love politics and Modern Studies now.I think both learn some but expand more with the 10 year old

That’s really lovely to hear! Thanks for sharing.
And yes I agree with you
Original post by Human_bean
I want them to grow up knowing what is happening in this world. And yes, keeping up with political and economic developments is a passion of mine.

I was thinking of giving them daily briefings before bed where we could discuss the important events of the day? Is that too much? And has anyone ever tried doing it with their siblings?

I have previously used them as ‘revision bots’ 😂 sounds crazy but it just means I asked them to read a few keywords and test me on whether I got the definitions right.

Edit: I don’t aim to force any kind of views on them (I don’t even know where I stand when it comes to politics tbf!)
I just hope to provide basic knowledge and ultimately provoke an interest in healthy debate and criticisms (I fully appreciate that the latter would probably come into play a lot later..). For now, I would just discuss the most interesting topic of the day and ask their opinions.

Maybe not before bed, because it's quite deep stuff at times tbh.
But it's fundamentally a good idea, because knowing what's going on around you is important. You probably will have to dumb it down appropriately for the 7 year old, and the 10yo too, but it helps to remember what u were like at that age, and to remember what u would have understood at that age. Obviously they are still young, and so you don't want to 'rip them of their innocence' but yeh. I have a 8yo sibling , and he watches the news and kinda knows what's going on, so it's not too unusual. also, it's cute that you are interested in ur siblings and want to spend valuable time with them :smile:
I want them to grow up knowing what is happening in this world. And yes, keeping up with political and economic developments is a passion of mine.

I was thinking of giving them daily briefings before bed where we could discuss the important events of the day? Is that too much? And has anyone ever tried doing it with their siblings?

I have previously used them as ‘revision bots’ 😂 sounds crazy but it just means I asked them to read a few keywords and test me on whether I got the definitions right.

Edit: I don’t aim to force any kind of views on them (I don’t even know where I stand when it comes to politics tbf!)
I just hope to provide basic knowledge and ultimately provoke an interest in healthy debate and criticisms (I fully appreciate that the latter would probably come into play a lot later..). For now, I would just discuss the most interesting topic of the day and ask their opinions.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday is the combo.
That’s nice. You guys have a good age gap.
I try to help them all round but I have my favourites 😌

At least your helping them learn about the world around them. That in itself shows determination and ambition btw do you study polictics at a level?

Quick Reply

Latest