University is stressing me out. Watch

Annnymous
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My life has been a sad and lonely mess since I’ve started University. I feel like I just need to vent off and rant.

I’m struggling with Uni at the moment, I feel like I’m drowned with work and I’m stuck with flatmates that dislike me. I also think that one of my course mates dislikes me too now. I don’t know why, because Friday were completely fine then on Monday she completely changed. Maybe I’m just overthinking it, I feel like it would be awkward if I asked her if she’s got an issue with me.

Tbh, I don’t understand my Uni work. Luckily, I have passed the first half of the semester but the second half is so much more difficult. Idk what to do anymore, I feel so thick and useless.

I feel lonely most of the time as well, I miss my secondary/college friends. Although they all live in my home town, and I come back every weekend I feel like I distance myself from them. It’s weird, I miss them but distance myself purposely? Which I don’t understand why I do this.

I understand that my problems aren’t as bad as others but I just feel so stressed and mentally exhausted. And all I want to do is sleep and skip lectures. Nothing interests me but I can’t drop out of Uni. My parents would be furious, now I feel like someone would say ‘but it’s your life’ but my family is very traditional and I’m going to live with them again next year lol.
nvm787
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Life and uni is full of ups and downs. Experiencing the downs will make you more mature and confident. Its a competitive world. Many people are stressed. Try to have that self belief to pick yourself up and have that edge in the competition.There are many people do well with uni even if the subject wasnt their "passion". Its more discipline than anything.
Charlotte's Web
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Annnymous)
My life has been a sad and lonely mess since I’ve started University. I feel like I just need to vent off and rant.

I’m struggling with Uni at the moment, I feel like I’m drowned with work and I’m stuck with flatmates that dislike me. I also think that one of my course mates dislikes me too now. I don’t know why, because Friday were completely fine then on Monday she completely changed. Maybe I’m just overthinking it, I feel like it would be awkward if I asked her if she’s got an issue with me.

Tbh, I don’t understand my Uni work. Luckily, I have passed the first half of the semester but the second half is so much more difficult. Idk what to do anymore, I feel so thick and useless.

I feel lonely most of the time as well, I miss my secondary/college friends. Although they all live in my home town, and I come back every weekend I feel like I distance myself from them. It’s weird, I miss them but distance myself purposely? Which I don’t understand why I do this.

I understand that my problems aren’t as bad as others but I just feel so stressed and mentally exhausted. And all I want to do is sleep and skip lectures. Nothing interests me but I can’t drop out of Uni. My parents would be furious, now I feel like someone would say ‘but it’s your life’ but my family is very traditional and I’m going to live with them again next year lol.
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you are feeling like your life since you started uni has been a sad and lonely mess. That sounds really difficult.

You spoke about struggling with your uni workload, but that you don't want to disappoint your parents by dropping out. Do you have a tutor you could speak to about your concerns, or a lecture you get on with that you could speak to? It may also be worth looking into your university's support services to see if they could give you some extra help.

You also mentioned that you are having difficult with friendships at uni. University is often a difficult time, and it's quite normal to feel a bit conflicted especially if you're going back home regularly. Are you part of any clubs or societies at university?

If you find your feelings of loneliness are getting severe, it may be worth thinking about speaking to a family member or your GP about how you are feeling, as it may be that these issues are really due to an underlying issue. There are lots of people that can help you and we're always happy to chat here if you need to talk about how you're feeling.

I really hope things improve for you
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Annnymous)

In terms of your course mate's behaviour changing, I think it's important to keep in mind that uni can be a struggle for many people, in many different ways; it's possible that the way she's acting is completely unrelated to you, and that she's instead stressed out the course, or there is some other explanation for it.

I think that what you said about missing your friends but also distancing yourself is natural too - it's easy to get into the worry, even subconsciously, that things will be different with your college now that you are at uni, and it's even easier to start to distance yourself to try to stop finding out if that's happened. I think that if you're missing them and finding things hard, you need to make a conscious effort to stop creating that distance, however, as that will only make it more difficult for you in the long term.

Do you think living with your family again next year will help, if you've not been getting on with your flatmates? It might ease some of the pressure on the living conditions, at least. I want to note too, that struggling with uni work certainly does not mean you're thick, uni is a massive adjustment for most people. Talk to your tutor or your lecturers about this as soon as possible, as the earlier you start to get a handle on how to change things, the easier it will be for you to do so.
Annnymous
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am living with my family next year and I’ll just commute to Universtiy. I feel like that would be the best decision to be closer to my friends and family.
(Original post by shadowdweller)
In terms of your course mate's behaviour changing, I think it's important to keep in mind that uni can be a struggle for many people, in many different ways; it's possible that the way she's acting is completely unrelated to you, and that she's instead stressed out the course, or there is some other explanation for it.

I think that what you said about missing your friends but also distancing yourself is natural too - it's easy to get into the worry, even subconsciously, that things will be different with your college now that you are at uni, and it's even easier to start to distance yourself to try to stop finding out if that's happened. I think that if you're missing them and finding things hard, you need to make a conscious effort to stop creating that distance, however, as that will only make it more difficult for you in the long term.

Do you think living with your family again next year will help, if you've not been getting on with your flatmates? It might ease some of the pressure on the living conditions, at least. I want to note too, that struggling with uni work certainly does not mean you're thick, uni is a massive adjustment for most people. Talk to your tutor or your lecturers about this as soon as possible, as the earlier you start to get a handle on how to change things, the easier it will be for you to do so.
Annnymous
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you for your response and no I’m not part of any clubs or societies. I don’t really have any fun interests. I think I need to talk to someone about my mental health but I’m scared too.
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you are feeling like your life since you started uni has been a sad and lonely mess. That sounds really difficult.

You spoke about struggling with your uni workload, but that you don't want to disappoint your parents by dropping out. Do you have a tutor you could speak to about your concerns, or a lecture you get on with that you could speak to? It may also be worth looking into your university's support services to see if they could give you some extra help.

You also mentioned that you are having difficult with friendships at uni. University is often a difficult time, and it's quite normal to feel a bit conflicted especially if you're going back home regularly. Are you part of any clubs or societies at university?

If you find your feelings of loneliness are getting severe, it may be worth thinking about speaking to a family member or your GP about how you are feeling, as it may be that these issues are really due to an underlying issue. There are lots of people that can help you and we're always happy to chat here if you need to talk about how you're feeling.

I really hope things improve for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (111)
17.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.73%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.35%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.51%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.94%
How can I be the best version of myself? (190)
29.97%

Watched Threads