Feeling more depressed on antidepressants? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi,

I have had depression for years and i have tried both sertraline and fluoxetine. I took sertraline first in late 2017 but that made me have extreme panic attacks and suicidal thoughts to start with, and months after even though those side effects weren't as bad, there was no positive effect from sertraline whatsoever. I then went onto fluxoxetine which i think maybe did work for a while idk, but i feel back into a depressive episode in November 2018 and so i increased my fluoxetine intake again, to 40mg from 20mg. Ever since i have continued to feel depressed, and i feel like it has got gradually worse. I feel worse now than i did last month for example. I had discussed this with my doctor and i am now taking 20mg daily again for the next couple of weeks to slowly come off this, and she mentioned i could next try venlafaxine.

Basically, i am feeling very discouraged that both popular antidepressants i have tried have actually both made me feel worse, and on the second one it was ok for a while but then it just stopped working. I just feel quite hopeless really, and i don't really understand why i have still fell into depression again? Why has this happened and is it likely i will actually find a treatment that lasts?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Charlotte's Web
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I have had depression for years and i have tried both sertraline and fluoxetine. I took sertraline first in late 2017 but that made me have extreme panic attacks and suicidal thoughts to start with, and months after even though those side effects weren't as bad, there was no positive effect from sertraline whatsoever. I then went onto fluxoxetine which i think maybe did work for a while idk, but i feel back into a depressive episode in November 2018 and so i increased my fluoxetine intake again, to 40mg from 20mg. Ever since i have continued to feel depressed, and i feel like it has got gradually worse. I feel worse now than i did last month for example. I had discussed this with my doctor and i am now taking 20mg daily again for the next couple of weeks to slowly come off this, and she mentioned i could next try venlafaxine.

Basically, i am feeling very discouraged that both popular antidepressants i have tried have actually both made me feel worse, and on the second one it was ok for a while but then it just stopped working. I just feel quite hopeless really, and i don't really understand why i have still fell into depression again? Why has this happened and is it likely i will actually find a treatment that lasts?
Hi there!

I'm really sorry you're still not having any luck with your antidepressants. It sounds like it must be really frustrating to keep trying things with no lasting effects. Unfortunately often with anti-depressants it's a case of trial and error, and it can take quite a while to find the right one for you. The good thing is that there are lots of different options, so while it might take a while, there hopefully will be one out there that helps.

Have you been offered any counselling or CBT from your GP? There is lots of research that suggests people get a better effect from antidepressants when it is used in conjunction with some sort of therapy.

I hope things improve for you soon!
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

Antidepressants affect people differently, and unfortunately it's not as simple as one or two working for everyone. The upside to that, however, is that the fact you have tried two popular antidepressants and found they don't suit you doesn't mean that other ones won't - there are plenty of them out there which could well work for you! This also addresses the why it's happened for you really, in many ways - it's simply that the antidepressants you've tried so far haven't suited you, but again, this may not be the case for others you try in future.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi,

Really sorry to hear this.

One thing I want to say is don't give up. Medication affect everyone differently.

I was on paroxetine for 2 years and although at first it helped, my symptoms got worse and worse. I was then put on fluoxetine which made me feel horrible and suicidal. I'm now on venlafaxine which is making me feel much better.

Try different medication and see how they affect you. Also, make sure to try things like CBT as well. Don't give up. It'll get better - it'll just take some trial and error.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads