The Student Room Group

Ucas Firm choice and Insurance

Im in a bit of a pickle. Does anyone know if unis know if you have placed them your first choice or insurance choice and do they know what university u applied for? and does it matter if your firm choice grades are lower than your insuarance, for instance they said that they will offer me lowered grades if i choose them as my firm.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Batsman009
Im in a bit of a pickle. Does anyone know if unis know if you have placed them your first choice or insurance choice and do they know what university u applied for? and does it matter if your firm choice grades are lower than your insuarance, for instance they said that they will offer me lowered grades if i choose them as my firm.

Once you reply to your offers then invisibility on your choices stops. That means that all 5 choices can see the other universities you applied to, what courses you applied for there, whether you got an offer or not (and the conditions of the offer) and which is your firm and which is your insurance.

If your firm choice conditions are lower than your insurance then it's very unlikely you'll end up with your insurance choice.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Once you reply to your offers then invisibility on your choices stops. That means that all 5 choices can see the other universities you applied to, what courses you applied for there, whether you got an offer or not (and the conditions of the offer) and which is your firm and which is your insurance.

If your firm choice conditions are lower than your insurance then it's very unlikely you'll end up with your insurance choice.

Ok thankyou so much and say if if i choose my 2 unis for firm and insurance they should get accepted as they had already given me an offer
Ok thankyou so much and say if if i choose my 2 unis for firm and insurance they should get accepted as they had already given me an offer

What do you mean? Universities have made offers - you make replies (firm, insurance or decline). If you meet your firm offer conditions (or miss and they decide to take you with lower grades) then that's the university you're going to.
Reply 4
as in i reply to them e.g accepting it and then the next process is getting the grades in summer? sorry for annoying you im new to this thing and wasnt explained at school
as in i reply to them e.g accepting it and then the next process is getting the grades in summer? sorry for annoying you im new to this thing and wasnt explained at school

That's right. You accept an offer as your firm choice. If you then meet the conditions of that offer (or if you miss the conditions but the university is still happy to take you) then your place will be "confirmed" in the summer.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
That's right. You accept an offer as your firm choice. If you then meet the conditions of that offer (or if you miss the conditions but the university is still happy to take you) then your place will be "confirmed" in the summer.

Well, that's true, unless you decide to go to 'Adjustment'. When you select an offer as your 'Firm', then normally your reserve offer would be lower, just in ase you don't achieve the grades for your 'Firm', but if you overachieve and your results are better than required by your 'Firm' you may decide to try for a different course, requiring a higher entry level, through 'Adjustment', whilst still holding your original 'Firm' offer.
Reply 7

thankyou
Original post by GI GI
Well, that's true, unless you decide to go to 'Adjustment'. When you select an offer as your 'Firm', then normally your reserve offer would be lower, just in ase you don't achieve the grades for your 'Firm', but if you overachieve and your results are better than required by your 'Firm' you may decide to try for a different course, requiring a higher entry level, through 'Adjustment', whilst still holding your original 'Firm' offer.
Original post by GI GI

Adjustment is only available AFTER your firm offer is confirmed :smile:
Reply 9
...and that's why I said 'whilst still holding your original 'Firm' offer'!!
Original post by PQ
Adjustment is only available AFTER your firm offer is confirmed :smile:
Original post by GI GI
...and that's why I said 'whilst still holding your original 'Firm' offer'!!

Re-read the post you replied to and your response. There's no "unless" about adjustment. It comes AFTER confirmation of a firm choice.
Original post by PQ

Original post by GI GI
Well, that's true, unless you decide to go to 'Adjustment'.
Reply 11
Without getting into a 'who can be the more pedantic' competition, the 'unless' referred to the 'your place will be "confirmed" in the summer'! Normally it would, and you would take up that place - 'unless' you decided to 'adjust' because your grades were better than expected!
Original post by PQ
Re-read the post you replied to and your response. There's no "unless" about adjustment. It comes AFTER confirmation of a firm choice.
Original post by GI GI
Without getting into a 'who can be the more pedantic' competition, the 'unless' referred to the 'your place will be "confirmed" in the summer'! Normally it would, and you would take up that place - 'unless' you decided to 'adjust' because your grades were better than expected!

Right - except that that isn't how adjustment or confirmation works. You can only click the button to enter yourself for adjustment AFTER your firm offer is confirmed. Without your firm place getting confirmed there's no way to enter adjustment.

You're confusing having a conditional offer "confirmed" (made unconditional on track after meeting the conditions or being accepted with lower grades) with taking up the place/enrolling on a course.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
Right - except that that isn't how adjustment or confirmation works. You can only click the button to enter yourself for adjustment AFTER your firm offer is confirmed. Without your firm place getting confirmed there's no way to enter adjustment.

You're confusing having a conditional offer "confirmed" (made unconditional on track after meeting the conditions or being accepted with lower grades) with taking up the place/enrolling on a course.

Thanks for pointing out what I'm getting 'confused' about! However, in an earlier post you said - 'If you meet your firm offer conditions (or miss and they decide to take you with lower grades) then that's the university you're going to' - and that isn't necessarily so, and is therefore misleading! I said, this is the case, 'unless' you go to adjustment - which is a true statement! You then took the conversation on to the mechanics of entering the 'Adjustment' process and I thereforre think, with respect, you may be the one who's confused!
Original post by GI GI
Thanks for pointing out what I'm getting 'confused' about! However, in an earlier post you said - 'If you meet your firm offer conditions (or miss and they decide to take you with lower grades) then that's the university you're going to' - and that isn't necessarily so, and is therefore misleading! I said, this is the case, 'unless' you go to adjustment - which is a true statement! You then took the conversation on to the mechanics of entering the 'Adjustment' process and I thereforre think, with respect, you may be the one who's confused!

If I'm confused it's because you quoted one post with a reply trying to contradict the content of an earlier post :rolleyes:.
Reply 15

Have you applied and received all your offers or decisions? You can't confirm your Firm and Insurance choices until you get your 5 decisions (assuming you applied to 5).
Reply 16
I get the impression this conversation isn't going anywhere, so I'm just going to leave it there!

Original post by PQ
If I'm confused it's because you quoted one post with a reply trying to contradict the content of an earlier post :rolleyes:.
Reply 17
yes i have got all 5 offers back and they have offered me places
Original post by Doones
Have you applied and received all your offers or decisions? You can't confirm your Firm and Insurance choices until you get your 5 decisions (assuming you applied to 5).
Reply 18
yes i have got all 5 offers back and they have offered me places

Ok, then you can decide on your firm and insurance. You have until May to take this decision. There's no rush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
how about i firm my choice which is unconditional offer and ended up decided not to go uni which means i might study in another country, do i need to pay or sth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending