The Student Room Group

Need help structuring a lab report for Molecular Biology

Hello. I know that your conventional lab report consists of a title, an abstract, an introduction, a method, a results discussion and a conclusion, but the lab report I have to write is slightly different. For one thing, it has to be around 6000 words. But the first hurdle I'm tripping on is that I need a one page introduction about Molecular Biology. I think I can talk about that but not without mentioning the various techniques that I have used or will use, such as PCR and Gel Electrophoresis. A problem here is that I don't think I'm supposed to go into detail about these techniques until later on in the essay. Would someone please give me advice on how they would structure this?
Original post by Archurus23
Hello. I know that your conventional lab report consists of a title, an abstract, an introduction, a method, a results discussion and a conclusion, but the lab report I have to write is slightly different. For one thing, it has to be around 6000 words. But the first hurdle I'm tripping on is that I need a one page introduction about Molecular Biology. I think I can talk about that but not without mentioning the various techniques that I have used or will use, such as PCR and Gel Electrophoresis. A problem here is that I don't think I'm supposed to go into detail about these techniques until later on in the essay. Would someone please give me advice on how they would structure this?

Abstract is what you want to investigate, briefly what you did and the result.

The introduction is the background on your molecular biology investigation, ideas and concepts and what you want to explore further as part of your experiment/ hypothesis investigation and why. You can briefly mention the practical techniques that you will use in the introduction but do not go into detail.

Materials and method.
The detail of your PCR and Gel Electrophoresis should be mentioned in the Materials and Methods section. Usually you mention the materials and their sources before describing the method and what you did. So you want a materials sub heading then method subheading. You should also describe the Statistical Analysis chosen in the method usually the Student T test at 0.05 is popular for biological sciences.

Results
Here you show your data and any pictures for instance of your electrophoresis etc.

Discussion
Here you discuss the results and how they relate to your introduction. You discuss the evidence and statistical analysis results to prove what you have discovered.

Conclusion
This concludes what happened and whether or not it followed your hypothesis.
Reply 2
Original post by Ambitious1999
Abstract is what you want to investigate, briefly what you did and the result.

The introduction is the background on your molecular biology investigation, ideas and concepts and what you want to explore further as part of your experiment/ hypothesis investigation and why. You can briefly mention the practical techniques that you will use in the introduction but do not go into detail.

Materials and method.
The detail of your PCR and Gel Electrophoresis should be mentioned in the Materials and Methods section. Usually you mention the materials and their sources before describing the method and what you did. So you want a materials sub heading then method subheading. You should also describe the Statistical Analysis chosen in the method usually the Student T test at 0.05 is popular for biological sciences.

Results
Here you show your data and any pictures for instance of your electrophoresis etc.

Discussion
Here you discuss the results and how they relate to your introduction. You discuss the evidence and statistical analysis results to prove what you have discovered.

Conclusion
This concludes what happened and whether or not it followed your hypothesis.

Thank

Quick Reply

Latest