Asking for help, I'm desperateeee!!! Watch

elenaselc
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, I have a little problem and I hoped you may be able to help or give some advice. I accepted my uni offer at Queen Margaret Universiry for Film and Media but I am very confused now and regret this choice. I always had a big passion for geology and also especially archaeology and didn't apply to that last year because of the entry requirements and also I thought Film and Media would be a great second choice. But I quickly realised that geology and archaeology is what I actually want to do and knowing that I'm not doing what I'm more passionate about makes me feel quite bad. So I thought of at least trying to sve this problem. I wanted to apply for geology or archaeology at the Univeristy of Edinburgh but they ask (since I'm Italian) for the overall score of the Diploma di stato minimum 90 and I have 87. I did very well in my exam but since I lived in another city and had to take the train to go to school everyday I couldn't work during school nor do school activities and also I was a bit ill so I didn't get extra credit points for: 1) almost never missing a school day 2) work during education 3) School's activities, which in total are more than 5 points I didn't get (The final score consists also of the 25 credit points). This puts me a bit down because I actually did very well in my exam and all my scores in all the subjects are mostly A's (9/10, 10/10) and just some B's (8/10). I also have a good score in my IELTS test which is 7. I would like to ask, is there such thing as a foundation year at the university of Edinburgh (with maybe biology or geology or archaeology) starting this year or next year since I don't meet the entry requirements? Is there anything else I can do? I aplogise for all tbis confusion and I might seem crazy but I quite desperate and feel bad about the wrong path I've chosen. I'm just and I also am since I was a child really passionate about archaeology and geology and everything related to it. Also, I got to know people studying these subjects at the university of Edinburgh and I totally fell in love with the programme and all the tasks and essays they have to write. I'm really determined to get to study and pursue those studies as I'm really dying to get to know more about all this. So I'll put all my effort to get to do it and work hard for whatever it is I have to do to meet the entry requirements. I'll move to Edinburgh in August anyway so if there's something like a foundation year or a course or whatever thing I can do, I hope you can help me with the best choice.
elenaselc
Rep:
?
UPDATES: I've basically emailed everyone (uni of Edinburgh, UCAS, etc. etc) and no one was able to help me. So I really don't know what to do.
(Original post by elenaselc)
Hello, I have a little problem and I hoped you may be able to help or give some advice. I accepted my uni offer at Queen Margaret Universiry for Film and Media but I am very confused now and regret this choice. I always had a big passion for geology and also especially archaeology and didn't apply to that last year because of the entry requirements and also I thought Film and Media would be a great second choice. But I quickly realised that geology and archaeology is what I actually want to do and knowing that I'm not doing what I'm more passionate about makes me feel quite bad. So I thought of at least trying to sve this problem. I wanted to apply for geology or archaeology at the Univeristy of Edinburgh but they ask (since I'm Italian) for the overall score of the Diploma di stato minimum 90 and I have 87. I did very well in my exam but since I lived in another city and had to take the train to go to school everyday I couldn't work during school nor do school activities and also I was a bit ill so I didn't get extra credit points for: 1) almost never missing a school day 2) work during education 3) School's activities, which in total are more than 5 points I didn't get (The final score consists also of the 25 credit points). This puts me a bit down because I actually did very well in my exam and all my scores in all the subjects are mostly A's (9/10, 10/10) and just some B's (8/10). I also have a good score in my IELTS test which is 7. I would like to ask, is there such thing as a foundation year at the university of Edinburgh (with maybe biology or geology or archaeology) starting this year or next year since I don't meet the entry requirements? Is there anything else I can do? I aplogise for all tbis confusion and I might seem crazy but I quite desperate and feel bad about the wrong path I've chosen. I'm just and I also am since I was a child really passionate about archaeology and geology and everything related to it. Also, I got to know people studying these subjects at the university of Edinburgh and I totally fell in love with the programme and all the tasks and essays they have to write. I'm really determined to get to study and pursue those studies as I'm really dying to get to know more about all this. So I'll put all my effort to get to do it and work hard for whatever it is I have to do to meet the entry requirements. I'll move to Edinburgh in August anyway so if there's something like a foundation year or a course or whatever thing I can do, I hope you can help me with the best choice.
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
UPDATES: I've basically emailed everyone (uni of Edinburgh, UCAS, etc. etc) and no one was able to help me. So I really don't know what to do.
If uni of Edinburgh has said no, you need to try other unis
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
One of the problems you might come across is Scottish universities have strict quotas for EC students as they pay no fees. You often have to greatly exceed their MINIMUM offers to get in. An alternative would be to try English universities but you would have to pay the same fees as English students. Cardiff, Durham, Exeter, Manchester, Nottingham and Southampton are all showing courses.
elenaselc
Rep:
?
I know that if the uni says no then it's no. I just wanted to know if there's a path I can take or a programme which will lead me to eventually meeting the entry requirements or if anyone has suggestions.
And I prefer this to be in Edinburgh since I'll be moving there in August.
Human_bean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know that if the uni says no then it's no. I just wanted to know if there's a path I can take or a programme which will lead me to eventually meeting the entry requirements or if anyone has suggestions.
Hm well maybe a foundation programme then? But you would be best asking the university directly. We can give you anything better than general advice.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Human_bean; 2 weeks ago
LanaiLaw
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Try a joint degree many universities offer them and the entry requirements are usually a little less than other subjects.
Exeter offers a flexible combined honours degree have a look at that
elenaselc
Rep:
?
I haven't thought about that! Thank you very much, I'll definitely consider that option!
(Original post by LanaiLaw)
Try a joint degree many universities offer them and the entry requirements are usually a little less than other subjects.
Exeter offers a flexible combined honours degree have a look at that
elenaselc
Rep:
?
I actually really don't know what else I could do at this point. Because if I stick to Film and Media it will take me to a complete other path and I feel like it's wasted time if I alredy know that I won't like it and that my passions lie somehwere else. I feel like I should use this time to work towards the entry requirements and then eventually study what I want.
elenaselc
Rep:
?
Do you think that would be quite helpful? I don't think it would be wasted time but I'm quite scared they won't consider my application if they see about the foundation year as everything is really competitive.
(Original post by Human_bean)
Hm well maybe a foundation programme then? But you would be best asking the university directly. We can give you anything better than general advice.
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
you are probably going to need to go somewhere other than Edinburgh and get into the course for the subject you require. Most UK students go to university away from where they live and have to pay fees.
I actually really don't know what else I could do at this point. Because if I stick to Film and Media it will take me to a complete other path and I feel like it's wasted time if I alredy know that I won't like it and that my passions lie somehwere else. I feel like I should use this time to work towards the entry requirements and then eventually study what I want.
LuigiMario
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So on the positive side you do have an offer from QMU, which is in a beautiful city called Edinburgh, just the suburb of Musselburgh - not however the central big University. Musselburgh is about ten minutes by train from the capital city of Scotland. The course, Film & Media is maybe one that you now are unsure about, however, the British UCAS have a system called Adjustment/Clearing which this year takes place on Ferragosto, completely by coincidence. UK does not celebrate August 15th.

You can continue to firm F&M at QMU, if that is your best option from your five UCAS choices, and on your day of arrival at QMU, primo settembre, immediately ask to change to one of the other courses. https://www.qmu.ac.uk/study-here/course-a-z/

QMU unfortunately, being a small but great university, does not have that many courses - they were originally a medical/nursing college (?)

Edinburgh University itself is VERY hard to get an offer from, especially with your EU status.

SO I think you have two simple options, A) continue with QMU & change course on day of arrival ( I think it is permitted as surely a few percent of students will be like you and be having second thoughts, you might need to write your feelings on a sheet of A4 as a justification )

Option B) is to have a computer or two and several telephones available for calling universities during Adjustment/Clearing.
It is something inbetween a mercatino delle pulci and a mercatino dell'usato online whilst universities settle their books and students trade places.

It works very well, but a lot of information needs to be consulted and acted upon within a short period, and you need to be still in the UCAS system (hence firming QMU? or somewhere as a backup)

If you already have your results 87%, Congratulazioni! hai vinto!, you can anticipate the actual Ferragosto date by a few weeks and check all the (Scottish?) universities and Archeology/Geology courses and their online Adjustment/Clearing pages from usually the beginning of July 2019, calling individual colleges, negotiating entry conditions, accomodation (critical at a late entry), and balancing offers - then choose quickly, before the 2019 'A'-Level results are released. For example University of Stirling mention that Clearing opens for them on 5 luglio 2019
https://www.stir.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/clearing/

Edinburgh & St. Andrews sometimes do NOT participate in clearing, being overwhelmed with applications - but Tieni gli occhi sul....e buona fortuna a te
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (152)
18.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (80)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.46%

Watched Threads