The Student Room Group

I'm a gay right-wing Indian AMA

I'm a gay right-wing Indian AMA.

n.b. I'll reply to the posts eventually but I'm not on here 24/7 I have a life :tongue:
Original post by oxscow
I'm a gay right-wing Indian AMA.

n.b. I'll reply to the posts eventually but I'm not on here 24/7 I have a life :tongue:

In what sense are you right wing (i.e. what policies do you believe in)?
Reply 2
Original post by kazzykat95
In what sense are you right wing (i.e. what policies do you believe in)?

I'm economically centrist and/or right. I tend to believe that trickle-down economics are a sure method for reducing poverty. I also generally reject that the Tory policy on welfare, NHS and infrastructure has been destructive - in fact I think they've achieved moderate results in fear of a vicious opposition. (I would love to expand on this).

I am against most forms of immigration. In both ways, it tends to have a negative impact on India (stealing the brightest) and on the UK (with the culture clashes, wage drain and other issues). I also consider that there are more suitable methods to fill vacant jobs including outsourcing. I personally think that asylum seekers to Europe (from South Asia) tend to come from privileged backgrounds - especially within LGBT - and hence these people are benefiting from a label whilst actually being quite removed from the harsh homophobia affecting the everyday LGBT person who are unable to be strong/brave enough to reach Europe. I am against most forms of immigration from Muslim countries and detest the social issues and race conflicts that have developed.

Consequently, I'm on the Tory side of the fence when it comes to the racism debate hitting Corbyn. Labour's currently policy appears to be to smear the Tories as being extreme and vocally opposing whatever they say, which I don't think actually helps government move forward. (FYI I have quite a few gay Tory friends so I guess that influences me too).
(edited 5 years ago)
are you a Cherokee ?

:holmes:
What is your favourite pizza topping?
(edited 5 years ago)
What's your view on Brexit?
Do you like Chicken Tikka Masala? :holmes:
Oxymoron much.
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
are you a Cherokee ?

:holmes:

Lol. Technically the term "Indian" can be used to refer to South-East Asians (as per Dutch), Middle Easterners (as per the British a while back) and Americans (as per Spanish). India was historically also a term to refer to everything east of the Middle East (Asia) during classical times I think. Indian itself is a stupid term as it's not geographically accurate anyway,
Reply 9
Original post by Obolinda
What is your favourite pizza topping?

Jalepenos. I'm vegetarian and technically anything akin to a vegetable pizza is good. Though pizza is basically a by-word for obesity in my brain and I'll rarely choose that as an option if I'm in charge. :tongue:
n-508653049-628x314.jpg
Reply 11
I obviously dislike all homophobes. Thankfully I grew up in an environment where the only homophobes I'd come across were some odd people at school and dubious comments online on places like Youtube - for me homophobia should be fought as hard as possible.

BUT I do not consider some things to be homophobia. Opposing gay marriage, which lets face it is mostly cultural topic, isn't homophobic in my opinion. Ditto saying that a child ideally needs its loving mother and father growing up, though I can understand that a homosexual parent adopting a orphan child might be a best option of last resort.
Reply 12
Original post by Other_Owl
What's your view on Brexit?

On the fence. I grew up being a strong Europeanist and I am still a globalist. I support strong relations with the Anglosphere and India, alongside Europe. I've been travelling all around Europe since my puberty and I generally enjoy the culture of Europe too. I am mostly supportive of the neoliberal lean of the EU. I do believe that European countries are less racist than the US. I think that the EU has a stronger moral lean and that there's a stronger chance of a far-right party gaining movement at the EU parliament than at Westminister.

I am opposed to the EU's handling of the Migrants Crisis, and I worry about how to deal with the strong Muslim demographics of Europe and the political shitfight that will follow. I don't see why the EU will care about Indians more than its Muslim community. I also don't think that the economic/cultural impacts of leaving the EU will be that bad in the long term.I would actually like to see a more confederal structure to the UK, with Scotland and Wales being independent entities in a soft union with England, with the entire island joining the EU, but I'm not quite sure how realistic this is; the EU would be the perfect platform to allow small countries like Scotland to thrive in a globalised world. I don't think the Eurozone is that bad either, though again I don't see why the UK shouldn't explore closer links with the Anglosaxon world.
Reply 13
Original post by RichPiana
Do you like Chicken Tikka Masala? :holmes:

Most Indians don't eat meat and that's a meat dish. It's either not native to India or it's from the Muslim community. For example, vindaloo is actually a Portuguese dish brought to India then taken back to Europe by the British.
Reply 14
Original post by liquidconfidence
Oxymoron much.

This is something I get really annoyed at. At least 1/3 of youth voted for the Tories until the Collation Government took away tuition fees, and then it was only Brexit that gave Labour the huge support. Many of those Lib Dems were socially liberal right-wing voters actually. India has a strong conservative LGBT community for example.

Quick Reply

Latest