The Student Room Group

Cambridge Adjustment 2019 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I got this email today! I'm applying for architecture, so the chances of any spare places will probably be very slim. Anyone else for architecture?
Reply 61
Original post by andrew11234
I got this email today! I'm applying for architecture, so the chances of any spare places will probably be very slim. Anyone else for architecture?

Congrats! We simply have no idea about the numbers involved. My *guess* is your chances are better than the typical acceptance rate for your course otherwise I doubt Cambridge would be going through this process (and putting you all through it too).
Reply 62
Just when I find closure towards rejection, Cambridge come back and dangle the tiniest prospect of admission before me in my email inbox 😂

Looking at the summer pool stats though it does seem highly unlikely that Economics will be going into adjustment and even if it does I'd guess that the number of spare places would very limited, can I get any thoughts on this?
(edited 5 years ago)
I wonder what the chances are for law... one can only hope at this point
Reply 64
Original post by KDai
Just when I find closure towards rejection, Cambridge come back and dangle the tiniest prospect of admission before me in my email inbox :s-smilie:

Looking at the summer pool stats though it does seem highly unlikely that Economics will be going into adjustment and even if it does I'd guess that the number of spare places would very limited, can I get any thoughts on this?

It's about 1 per year for Economics in the summer pool.
Original post by Assembly
I wonder what the chances are for law... one can only hope at this point

I posted the summer pool data for Law earlier :smile: (about 5 per year).

To repeat my health warning... I have NO IDEA if the summer pool is a good or bad proxy for Adjustment. :wink:
Reply 65
Hot off the press:
Cambridge University offers disadvantaged students second chance to apply
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/06/cambridge-university-offers-disadvantaged-students-second-chance-to-apply

Up to 100 places to be available under scheme as part of efforts to improve diversity

(Thanks for spotting it @Paralove :wink: )
(edited 5 years ago)
I got this email aswell saying in eligible. Any idea how common these emails are? Like how many people got them
Reply 67
Original post by Owenkearney
I got this email aswell saying in eligible. Any idea how common these emails are? Like how many people got them

According to a press release it's "up to 100 places to be available under the scheme as part of efforts to improve diversity". In other words, not many.

Congratulations. :smile:
Original post by Doones
According to a press release it's "up to 100 places to be available under the scheme as part of efforts to improve diversity". In other words, not many.

Congratulations. :smile:

Thanks, I guess it’s a good thing but you kinda get thrown since you kinda moved on from it. I wonder how many people actually qualify for it
Reply 69
Original post by Owenkearney
Thanks, I guess it’s a good thing but you kinda get thrown since you kinda moved on from it. I wonder how many people actually qualify for it

Yup I can understand that entirely. It's a tricky thing and yes you've already been rejected once and come to terms with that. It's particularly aimed at "disadvantaged" applicants and my gut feel is it's a good thing to give you a second chance. I *think* the chances will be reasonably good if you meet the Adjustment criteria and also meet the course's typical entry requirements.

Also I'm sure some won't take it up, and others simply won't quite make the requirements.

Which course did you apply for?
Original post by Doones
Yup I can understand that entirely. It's a tricky thing and yes you've already been rejected once and come to terms with that. It's particularly aimed at "disadvantaged" applicants and my gut feel is it's a good thing to give you a second chance. I *think* the chances will be reasonably good if you meet the Adjustment criteria and also meet the course's typical entry requirements.

Also I'm sure some won't take it up, and others simply won't quite make the requirements.

Which course did you apply for?

I applied for HSPS!
Just a thought..

We’ve been looking at summer pool stats for a rough indication as to how many spots free up as a result of missed offers. These don’t include students that miss their offer but have their offers relaxed by their college without them being entered into the summer pool though, right?

I wonder how the approach of the colleges will change knowing they have a chance to take a better qualified (academically speaking) student from the adjustment pool(?), and how much weight will be placed on previous interview/AA performance... Any ask an AT threads coming up? :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m assuming that a handful of applicants were selected, if so does that mean they would have had to satisfy the widening participation criteria as well as performing well at interview to have marginally missed the offer? I think my friend fit the criteria but didn’t get the email - does this mean his overall application/interview was not strong enough?
Original post by Doones
Hot off the press:
Cambridge University offers disadvantaged students second chance to apply
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/06/cambridge-university-offers-disadvantaged-students-second-chance-to-apply

Up to 100 places to be available under scheme as part of efforts to improve diversity

(Thanks for spotting it @Paralove :wink: )

You really ought to put 'up to' in red bold letters. Though perhaps Cambridge intends to offer the lion's share of adjustment places in England.
Hello everyone, I'm happy to answer questions on this new initiative if people have them. Reading through the thread, I think that a key point to make is that, while we can't say at this stage which courses will have places, it is likely that most will.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Hello everyone, I'm happy to answer questions on this new initiative if people have them. Reading through the thread, I think that a key point to make is that, while we can't say at this stage which courses will have places, it is likely that most will.

Have admissions tutors reduced the number of offers this year, in anticipation of this change? If not, where has the slack come from?
No, we haven't reduced the number of offers. Every year the collegiate university ends up with some empty spaces and this will help to rectify that. It may also change behaviour in the Summer Pool and with missed offers but it's too early to say how that behaviour might manifest itself.
@Murray Edwards Admissions
Is everyone who meets the requirements (3+ flags, rejected post interview etc) automatically sent the email about the adjustment or is the strength of the application also taken into consideration before emailing?
Thanks for the help!
Original post by Dudeguy1301
Is everyone who meets the requirements (3+ flags, rejected post interview etc) automatically sent the email about the adjustment or is the strength of the application also taken into consideration before emailing?
Thanks for the help!

Everyone who may be eligible has been sent the email - at this point we haven't taken into account the strength of the application, though that will, of course, be a factor when deciding on whether to make an adjustment offer in August.
One more question, will we get an email with more information about the actual process of going through adjustment since right now it all seems a bit confusing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending