getting help/talking about mental health Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
so my mental health hasn’t been great over the past few years, and i’d really like to be able to talk about it. i’ve debated talking to someone about it several times but i’m terrified that people will think i’m being overdramatic and that there’s nothing wrong. realistically there’s quite a lot of things that have happened in my life that i’d love to be able to talk about as i think they could’ve contribute to why i feel the way i do. does anyone have any experience opening up about their own mental health, who did you speak to, what did you say etc?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
#love2learn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
so my mental health hasn’t been great over the past few years, and i’d really like to be able to talk about it. i’ve debated talking to someone about it several times but i’m terrified that people will think i’m being overdramatic and that there’s nothing wrong. realistically there’s quite a lot of things that have happened in my life that i’d love to be able to talk about as i think they could’ve contribute to why i feel the way i do. does anyone have any experience opening up about their own mental health, who did you speak to, what did you say etc?
I know what u're going through. I am also going through the same thing u r going through. I have managed to talk to one of my teacher (kind of) i still need to tell him about other things. The best thing is to go to the person u trust the most and just tell them everything. I know that it will be difficult but u got to do it. It took me a while to open up. I haven't told my teacher everything but I need to.
Just tell the person everything. They won't think u're being over dramatic, just tell them.
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you're talking to a GP, or to someone close that you trust, they shouldn't think you are being overdramatic, or that nothing is wrong; you know your own feelings better than anyone else. If they do react in that way, then they are the ones at fault, and as hard as it is in that situation I'd recommend you try opening up to someone else who is more understanding.

If you're too worried of the reaction of friends/family, I'd recommend going to your GP first, or trying talking to Samaritans/Nightline as a first step. Personally I talked to my partner and my family first and then sought support from my GP, in terms of my own journey with opening up.
PAPYRUS-UK
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

I just wanted to say, it sounds as though you are in the perfect place to access support- feeling ready to talk is really important.
Have a think about who you see as a supportive person in your life- would you talk to them?
Have a think about professional support- would you be willing to access counselling or talking therapy?
Have a think about what you would like to say- writing your feelings down can help practically and feel therapeutic at the same time.
You're not alone in feeling scared about the reactions of others- but if you seek support from the right sources- they should take your mental health seriously. Our website has some information here about where to get help- that can be applied to general mental health support.

Well done for reaching out and good luck with getting some support in place,

Daisy :rose:
Suicide Prevention Advisor
HOPELINEUK
PAPYRUS Prevention of Young Suicide
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (111)
17.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.84%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (194)
29.98%

Watched Threads