The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 - 20 May 2019 [Exam discussion]

This poll is closed

How did your AQA Physics A-level paper 1 go?

Great 19%
Alright 40%
Meh 22%
Ugh 12%
I'm going to make a "Hitler reacts" video7%
Total votes: 1374
Hey everyone. This is a discussion thread for the physics paper 1 for AQA A-level

This paper is on the 20th of May. Probably the first one for a lot of us.

Just to clarify for those not quite sure, paper 1 covers all the AS topics, + further mechanics, + a little bit on practical skills.

Good revision resource if you didn't know already:
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/physics-revision/a-level-aqa/ for questions split by topic
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/past-papers/a-level-physics/ for past papers

Links to other exam threads:
Paper 2
Paper 3

Link to unofficial markscheme
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Is the workload really that large for a level physics as everyone says it is? For a straight 9 student. Would you recommend it as I'm considering it even though I'm not looking to go into a stem subject, but I quite enjoy GCSE
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanjames
Is the workload really that large for a level physics as everyone says it is? For a straight 9 student. Would you recommend it as I'm considering it even though I'm not looking to go into a stem subject, but I quite enjoy GCSE

Workload is big for any subject, provided you want to get the top grades. Physics is less reliant on raw memorisation than biology or chemistry.
I think it is complemented well by A-level maths, but on its own there's not that much point. A-level is not a great way of getting interested in the subject.
Yo...

capacitors is the biggest pain in the ass. Thermal physics too...they both do my head in
Don't let anyone force you into taking A level Maths just to do A level Physics. Those who do A level Maths don't have that much of an advantage, it's pretty logical maths that you can learn specific to your Physics course rather than having to take on the workload of another A level. I'm not bashing anyone who takes/ wants to take A level Maths though.
Original post by Pelumi Ajayi
Don't let anyone force you into taking A level Maths just to do A level Physics. Those who do A level Maths don't have that much of an advantage, it's pretty logical maths that you can learn specific to your Physics course rather than having to take on the workload of another A level. I'm not bashing anyone who takes/ wants to take A level Maths though.

No ones saying if you don't do maths you'll fail.

You'll just have a much harder time and would likely need extra time in and out of lessons to grasp pretty routine stuff to others e.g Nuclear decay, half life and capacitors.

You wouldn't want to run a race with your shoe laces tied together would you? Its not impossible but you'll have a much harder time than others, same thing applies to physics and maths. Physics is literally applied observational mathematics
What does everyone think about the difficulty of the exams? Our college thinks the exams (Paper 2&3 more so) are unreasonably challenging but what do other colleges think? Do we just have a weak department?
I appreciate physics is “hard” but in terms of relative difficulty compared to old spec & looking at the lower grade boundaries on new spec etc ..
Does anyone have or know how I could get to see the examiners reports of the 2018 exam papers? I've looked on the aqa website and can only find up until the 2017 exams?
Reply 9
Original post by ZoharCollins
Does anyone have or know how I could get to see the examiners reports of the 2018 exam papers? I've looked on the aqa website and can only find up until the 2017 exams?

You could ask teachers at school - the 2018 papers should be up kind of soon, along with the examiner reports, but I wouldn't know when.
Reply 10
Anyone else been finding old spec papers near useless due to how much easier the questions are? Especially mechanics I find
right?? they give me false confidence and then I realise how different the new spec is.....
Original post by TMK01
Anyone else been finding old spec papers near useless due to how much easier the questions are? Especially mechanics I find
Reply 12
Yeah it's ridiculous. I do average to decent on the old spec mechanics questions, did the 2017 paper and got 2/9 and 4/10 on the mechanics questions
Original post by amartyasen
right?? they give me false confidence and then I realise how different the new spec is.....
Not doing it through my old school so dont know how would get it now
Original post by Sinnoh
You could ask teachers at school - the 2018 papers should be up kind of soon, along with the examiner reports, but I wouldn't know when.
please all you guys do **** so you can make grade boundaries go down.
it's just an exam. we all try our best anyways. Might be a hard paper, but that doesn't matter. whatever anyone gets is what they deserve no matter what. I'm aiming for an A, if i don't get the result, there are other ways that lead to rome.

Besides, that,
i am confused on particle exchange, with electron capture - why is it a W- boson? why not W+ which is for proton electron collision, i think
any tips
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Batman2k1
it's just an exam. we all try our best anyways. Might be a hard paper, but that doesn't matter. whatever anyone gets is what they deserve no matter what. I'm aiming for an A, if i don't get the result, there are other ways that lead to rome.

Besides, that,
i am confused on particle exchange, with electron capture - why is it a W- boson? why not W+ which is for proton electron collision, i think
any tips

It is a W+ boson not a W- boson
yep, proton to neutron so the plus charge of the W+ conserves that and it goes right
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
It is a W+ boson not a W- boson
The 2018 papers and reports were realized this week x
Original post by ZoharCollins
was doing a paper 2 nuclear question with this :
The 56 - 26 iron isotope Fe has a very high binding energy per nucleon.
Calculate its value in MeV.

I attempted it and got it wrong but the mark scheme still confused me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending