AQA A-level Physics Paper 2 - 24 May 2019 [Exam discussion] Watch

Poll: AQA A-level Physics Paper 2 - How did it go for you?
Great (127)
25.87%
Alright (205)
41.75%
No idea (73)
14.87%
Poorly (61)
12.42%
I'm going to send a strongly-worded letter (25)
5.09%
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi. This is the general discussion thread for Physics paper 2. This one's on the 24th of May.

This is the one with gravitational fields, electric fields, magnetic fields, electromagnetism, thermal physics and nuclear physics.

Links to other exam threads:
Paper 1
Paper 3
Last edited by Sinnoh; 2 months ago
amartyasen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don't think I ever will understand magnetic fields.... especially Lenz' law. does my head in.
Levi23317
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by amartyasen)
don't think I ever will understand magnetic fields.... especially Lenz' law. does my head in.
Pfff theyre easy. Just gotta watch rick and morty a couple of times.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
TMK01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Any ideas which topics may come up? Hoping a fair bit of thermal and nuclear physics
Taran4u
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Both thermal and nuclear are on paper 2, with all 3 types of fields. Paper 1 is mostly AS and A2 mechanics. So you'll get the same number of marks per topics overall I think. Apart from your paper 3 option.
(Original post by TMK01)
Any ideas which topics may come up? Hoping a fair bit of thermal and nuclear physics
j.1.2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lets do this
Agzamkrut
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think there will be no gravitational fields, to make the paper harder and annoying. More focused on nuclear and electrical fields. It tells me also that big markers about capacitors are expected. Also, I think that they will not include specific heat capacity and latent. Only a little from thermal physics in my opinion.
j.1.2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Agzamkrut)
I think there will be no gravitational fields, to make the paper harder and annoying. More focused on nuclear and electrical fields. It tells me also that big markers about capacitors are expected. Also, I think that they will not include specific heat capacity and latent. Only a little from thermal physics in my opinion.
i think they'll put some hard crap on magnetic fields
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
i.rai
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I feel like paper 2 will drag me down😭
Trapmoneybenny
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by j.1.2)
i think they'll put some hard crap on magnetic fields
cue the ensuing headache during the exam then..... i hope they max out the nuclear physics stuff. I want a phat 5 or 6 marker on nuclear reactors
xipo7101
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We both know that will never happen xDD, I bet they will ask some weird 6 mark question involving magnetic fields but in a weird real life application scenario.
(Original post by Trapmoneybenny)
cue the ensuing headache during the exam then..... i hope they max out the nuclear physics stuff. I want a phat 5 or 6 marker on nuclear reactors
GeorgeWakley00
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I love paper 2 compared to paper one fields are very logical to work through and you can tell if your answer is usually right or wrong! It is also much easier to predict: I reckon 10-12 marks electric fields - lots on using LH and RH rules, 7-8 marks gravitational fields - including a derivative, 10 marks nuclear, 10-12 marks thermal, 7-9 marks on capacitors and longer answer question on EM induction, multiple choice centered around proportionality in field equations and simple thermal calculations.
xipo7101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
True, I agree paper 2 is less 'random', I got a feeling that they also might ask detailed national grid question, i'm doing one right now and examiner's report said many failed to explain it.
And the guy from science short youtube channel predicted that it might come up (video is deleted now).
(Original post by GeorgeWakley00)
I love paper 2 compared to paper one fields are very logical to work through and you can tell if your answer is usually right or wrong! It is also much easier to predict: I reckon 10-12 marks electric fields - lots on using LH and RH rules, 7-8 marks gravitational fields - including a derivative, 10 marks nuclear, 10-12 marks thermal, 7-9 marks on capacitors and longer answer question on EM induction, multiple choice centered around proportionality in field equations and simple thermal calculations.
xipo7101
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also just out of interest, because physics was very early do you think this can bring grade boundaries down? Or they will be same/higher because people just went all in and revised only physics for like 2 weeks straight cramming everything.
Like when my physics paper 3 finishes my other 2 a-levels will only just start.
(Original post by GeorgeWakley00)
seansheepshagery
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i personally believe chelsea will bottle the europa league, however the religious studies exam was quite easy and straight forward. for physics i am revising cell structures and how dog ones differ from elephants. paper 2 english lit will be a blast; me and my pals are ready for a question about young siward and hoping it will be about his love life. if anyone has any tips on how to revise for dance let me know via my MySpace seanthesheeplover

kind regards
seansheepshagery xox
seansheepshagery
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
oops wrong chat sorry everyone

yours sincerely
seansheeplover
(Original post by seansheepshagery)
i personally believe chelsea will bottle the europa league, however the religious studies exam was quite easy and straight forward. for physics i am revising cell structures and how dog ones differ from elephants. paper 2 english lit will be a blast; me and my pals are ready for a question about young siward and hoping it will be about his love life. if anyone has any tips on how to revise for dance let me know via my MySpace seanthesheeplover

kind regards
seansheepshagery xox
j.1.2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
can someone explain to me why the energy across a capacitor increases when the dielectric material is removed?
Taran4u
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by j.1.2)
can someone explain to me why the energy across a capacitor increases when the dielectric material is removed?
When the dielectric is in the capacitor, the polar molecules have been rotated such that the negative end of the molecules are attracted towards the positive plate and vice versa. Since this force of attraction is present, work needs to be done to separate the dielectric from between the plates. Therefore, energy is supplied and hence, the energy stored in the capacitor increases.
DanG2711
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm fairly sure they will only ask this question in terms of when the charge on the capacitor remains constant. When the dielectric material is removed from the two plates the capacitance decreases and the voltage increases (the dielectric material cancels out the positive and negative charges on each plate due to the alignment of molecules, reducing the voltage) and as E=Q^2/2C the energy is increased. Or you could think the energy is increased due to the work done needed to remove the polar dielectric material from between the plates of the capacitor.
(Original post by j.1.2)
Agzamkrut
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Guys, is it better to do multiple choice first to kill all of them and go on with the long questions. Or firstly do the written questions and then the multiple choice. What do you think?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads