The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haz
Cambridge colleges seem on the whole to view themselves as all part of the big picture; organising joint events, students are often taught in groups from all over the uni... However, I've been told that Oxford colleges are really insular. I was reading the Student guide and Wadham College Oxford claims to be 'an island of normality in a sea of intellectual and class snobbery'! Why do Oxford colleges bicker? Surely it has a detrimental effect on the uni - 'united we stand...'

competition is hardly detrimental. PS physics is taught on a cross-college basis
Reply 2
elpaw
competition is hardly detrimental. PS physics is taught on a cross-college basis

Yes, Cambridge also indulges in a little healthy competition but that's very different from referring to the rest of the uni as 'intellectual and class snobs'. Yay for physics. :rolleyes:
Reply 3
I applied to Oriel College Oxford (didn't get in but that's another story). During the 3 days of interviews, they told me a few of the local legends. Apparently Oriel has a bitter rivalry with Pembrooke (often referred to as Pem-broke 'cos they ain't got much money). I think it began centuries ago in a dispute over land.

They had a 'war' a while back. It's all documented on the web if you care to search. It involved such things as kidnapping Pembrooke's cat, and leaving them a note saying it left because they were too poor to feed it.

Amorya
Reply 4
Haz
Yes, Cambridge also indulges in a little healthy competition but that's very different from referring to the rest of the uni as 'intellectual and class snobs'. Yay for physics. :rolleyes:

why the rolled eyes?
elpaw
why the rolled eyes?

Um haz...hate to break it to you, but there often are some quite hefty rivalries...
And incidents with cats have also occured...
AHEM
J
Reply 6
foolfarian
Um haz...hate to break it to you, but there often are some quite hefty rivalries...
And incidents with cats have also occured...
AHEM
J

Oh dear... So which Cambridge colleges hate each other then?
Reply 7
Haz
Oh dear... So which Cambridge colleges hate each other then?

I thought Trinity and St John's did.
Reply 8
Squishy

"I'd rather go to Oxford than Johns"
Reply 9
shiny
"I'd rather go to Oxford than Johns"

I have yet to hear that actually sung. :smile:
Reply 10
Squishy
I have yet to hear that actually sung. :smile:

I have! At Lent bumps, when the LMBC boat went past, all their supporters were cheering for it, and there was a fairly healthy chorus from the others of the above mentioned "song."
Reply 11
How does it go again ...

"I'd rather be at Oxford than at Johns
Ohh - I'd rather be at Oxford than at Johns
I'd rather be at Oxford
Rather be at Oxford
I'd rather be at Oxford than at Johns ..."
Reply 12
I think Alaric was saying some morons from another college threw Clare's cat in the river :frown:
Reply 13
fishpaste
I think Alaric was saying some morons from another college threw Clare's cat in the river :frown:

Don't know about throwing it in the river, but apparently someone stole the college cat last year. Rumour had it that Tit Hall were behind it, but I don't think it was ever resolved.
Reply 14
There's a definite rivalry between Balliol and Trinity!

It's all friendly rivalry though!

If it wasn't then there wouldn't be joint balls, joint sports teams etc.....
Reply 15
Helenia
Don't know about throwing it in the river, but apparently someone stole the college cat last year. Rumour had it that Tit Hall were behind it, but I don't think it was ever resolved.

Poor cat. Apparently now it lives in the countryside?
Reply 16
Fluffy

It's all friendly rivalry though!

No rivalry is ever friendly :smile:
Reply 17
Squishy

There's a story about a John's student killing a Trinity student during a boat race. Seems extreme.
Reply 18
d750
There's a story about a John's student killing a Trinity student during a boat race. Seems extreme.

Apparently it was an accident during bumps a long time ago and supposedly that's why John's row as Lady Margaret Boat Club rather than St. John's.

Fishpaste - I have never seen this cat, so can only wonder...
Helenia
Apparently it was an accident during bumps a long time ago and supposedly that's why John's row as Lady Margaret Boat Club rather than St. John's.

I was told that it was a John's student who got killed by the Trinity boat as he got um, stabbed by spikes or summat? :confused:

Something like that anyway and that's why they hate each other so much. My source was a fairly unbiased Queens' student.

Latest

Trending

Trending