The Student Room Group

Revision

Who is good at computer science

Scroll to see replies

I haven't taken it as a subject yet, but I am considering doing so next year so I'll be reading replies here as well. goodluck!
Reply 2
Hey there. I'm not great but I do CS for GCSE. I'll try my best if you need help with anything.
I once hacked the my teachers phone an what I found got them fired
Reply 4
What is bits in cs? we learnt it but I didn't fully understand.
Reply 5
Original post by Thy Boundless
I haven't taken it as a subject yet, but I am considering doing so next year so I'll be reading replies here as well. goodluck!

thanx. ill need it
Reply 6
A bit is literally the smallest unit of data in computing. It's represented by a 1 in binary. Bits can be grouped to make them easier to work with. A group of 8 bits is known as a byte.
Original post by ImanL
What is bits in cs? we learnt it but I didn't fully understand.
Reply 7
Original post by AgentSG
A bit is literally the smallest unit of data in computing. It's represented by a 1 in binary. Bits can be grouped to make them easier to work with. A group of 8 bits is known as a byte.

thnks, I kinda get it now
Reply 8
No worries. Glad I could help.
Original post by ImanL
thnks, I kinda get it now
There's a neat game for learning about bits and binary here: https://studio.code.org/projects/applab/iukLbcDnzqgoxuu810unLw
Reply 10
Original post by AgentSG

why is a bit represented by 1 in binary and not a 0
A bit can either be a 1 or a 0 (kind of like an on/off switch). Those are its binary values.
Like, a bit can either have a binary value of 1, or a binary value of 0.
Original post by ImanL
Original post by ImanL

It can be either, a bit is a "BInary digiT" (Binary being the base-2 numeric representation). 1 and 0 are possible values for a binary digit.

It's analogous to a Decimal Digit (base-10), where a digit can take all values from 0 upto 9.
Also analogous to an Octal Digit (base-8), where a digit can take all values from 0 upto 7.
Also analogous to a Hexadecimal Digit (base-16), where a digit can take all values from 0 upto F.
etc.
Reply 13
do u have a gcse in cs or are u doing a gcse in cs
Original post by AgentSG
Reply 14
wat? I did not understand that. I don't think I have learnt that.
Original post by winterscoming
It can be either, a bit is a "BInary digiT" (Binary being the base-2 numeric representation). 1 and 0 are possible values for a binary digit.

It's analogous to a Decimal Digit (base-10), where a digit can take all values from 0 upto 9.
Also analogous to an Octal Digit (base-8), where a digit can take all values from 0 upto 7.
Also analogous to a Hexadecimal Digit (base-16), where a digit can take all values from 0 upto F.
etc.
Reply 15
I went on the game. How do u play? I do not get the game at all?
Original post by ImanL
wat? I did not understand that. I don't think I have learnt that.

Have a look at this: https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/z26rcdm/revision/1
Reply 17
Original post by ImanL
I went on the game. How do u play? I do not get the game at all?

The game is about converting from base-2 into base-10 then converting from base-10 to base-2. each row is a separate calculation to solve

Look at the numbers along the bottom, it's like going back to primary school addition. if the column contains a 1 then you include the number, if it's a zero, you don't include it

Binary numbers are powers of 2. (right-hand side is the smallest, and left-hand-side is the largest. e.g. 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1

so..
1 0 1 1 = 8 + 0 + 2 + 1 = 11
1 1 0 0 = 8 + 4 + 0 + 0 = 12
0 0 1 1 = 0 + 0 + 2 + 1 = 3
etc.
Reply 19
thanks, that was useful
Original post by winterscoming
The game is about converting from base-2 into base-10 then converting from base-10 to base-2. each row is a separate calculation to solve

Look at the numbers along the bottom, it's like going back to primary school addition. if the column contains a 1 then you include the number, if it's a zero, you don't include it

Binary numbers are powers of 2. (right-hand side is the smallest, and left-hand-side is the largest. e.g. 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1

so..
1 0 1 1 = 8 + 0 + 2 + 1 = 11
1 1 0 0 = 8 + 4 + 0 + 0 = 12
0 0 1 1 = 0 + 0 + 2 + 1 = 3
etc.

Quick Reply

Latest