AQA- Black Ink?!?!?!?!?!?! Watch

Wilsonator
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I've just done my AQA Maths B Module 5 paper.

At the start of it, we were told that we had to use black ink.

Does anybody know if this is going to be the case in all other AQA exams?

Thanks In Advance
Nayberay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Wilsonator)
I've just done my AQA Maths B Module 5 paper.

At the start of it, we were told that we had to use black ink.

Does anybody know if this is going to be the case in all other AQA exams?

Thanks In Advance
Yup we were told the same..I use black anyways but I'm presuming its going to be the same for the rest of their exams..
Meeegan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yup it's gonna be the same for the rest of your exams!
Remember to take a couple in with you.
Joanna_Marie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, it's the same I think
AnonyMatt
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
From what I understand, it's not necessary to use black, but it helps.

The papers get scanned (notice the bar codes) and are e-mailed to examiners.

Black ink happens to be the one that scans more clearly - if you were to use blue and your pen faded a little (like it was starting to run out) then you could lose a mark if it didn't show up. Oh noes!
sight101
Report 11 years ago
thats a bit stupid, what if you like blue pens?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The regulations for all of the the boards (there is one common set of rules) now say that invigilators should tell candidates that they must use black ink unless the actual paper says anything different.
Emmalouise1990
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As of 2008, AQA want all exams to be written in black ink. lol. Our teachers have been going on about all week.
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Every board seems to want black ink now. No problem, seeing as I've always used black anyway.
ArchedEdge
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not just AQA either?

OCR I was told to use black ink as well, not sure about Edexcel
definite_maybe
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've always written in blue, so find this quite annoying. I'm sure dark blue scans as well as black.
stranger101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
The regulations for all of the the boards (there is one common set of rules) now say that invigilators should tell candidates that they must use black ink unless the actual paper says anything different.
That's not right. Even if the paper says you can use blue or black ball-point, you MUST use black ink with all exam boards. Pencils may be used for diagrams. This is because black ink is more clear when they scan the papers through.
Wilsonator
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Emmalouise1990)
As of 2008, AQA want all exams to be written in black ink. lol. Our teachers have been going on about all week.
It would have been nice is our teachers had been.

The amount of hands that went up when they asked who needed a black pen lol.
x Kelly x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You HAVE to use black ink in all exams, because of their new marking system. Papers are going to be scanned into the computer and marked like that, blue ink doesnt show up which is why you now have to use black. Make sure you stock up on them lol.
tom_tom_tom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i used blue for my last exam :teeth: my black pen ran out
The Dark Side
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You must write in black ink or ball-point pen, unless the instructions on the front of the question paper say otherwise.
Source
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by stranger101)
That's not right. Even if the paper says you can use blue or black ball-point, you MUST use black ink with all exam boards. Pencils may be used for diagrams. This is because black ink is more clear when they scan the papers through.
Perhaps you would like to read this: http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu.../JCQ%20ICE.pdf

Then you can confirm it says, on page 15, "Invigilators must also give candidates the following information before the examination.

• You must write in black ink or ballpoint pen, unless the instructions on the front of the question paper say otherwise
."

Having instructed candidates to follow the instructions at the top of the paper (and many still say use blue or black ink) the board can hardly argue that black is compulsory.
tom_tom_tom
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Our examinations officer told us they will accept blue ink this examination series only from then on it will be black!
x Kelly x
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
by that i think they mean for diagrams you can use pencil. When we got our exam briefing pack it says on that instructions from exam board "Use only BLACK ink, diagrams to be done in only PENCIL" Thats for AS Level but Im sure its the same for GCSE, the only difference between them is the level of knowledge, theyre still marked the same way

Ok, this seems to be turning into a debate... lol

Just use black ink and you'll be perfectly fine
stranger101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
Perhaps you would like to read this: http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/pu.../JCQ%20ICE.pdf

Then you can confirm it says, on page 15, "Invigilators must also give candidates the following information before the examination.

• You must write in black ink or ballpoint pen, unless the instructions on the front of the question paper say otherwise
."

Having instructed candidates to follow the instructions at the top of the paper (and many still say use blue or black ink) the board can hardly argue that black is compulsory.
I just said what I was told. The invigilators said that they do not want to see anyone writing in blue pen, and in fact the General Studies exam started late because they had to go and find around 20 people some black pens to write in because they only had blue - even though it said on the front you could write in black or blue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads