AQA- Black Ink?!?!?!?!?!?! Watch

lil_miss_rapunzel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it's all exam boards, as even for Edexcel, which doesn't specify which type of pen you use on the front, the invigilator asked if everyone had a black pen.
butterflyyyy
Report 11 years ago
i had an english exam on friday in which i was told to use a black pen, but the only black pen i had was really hard on my hand, considering you have to write alot for english, so i switched to blue half way through. I hope they just think my pen ran out.
this can't have serious consequences, it's ALWAYS been black or blue
laurenlodge
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Since most people have had a few exams now and a lot of the papers say on it, people must be running out of excuses I suppose!
Kameo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my black ink is kinda grey, is that ok?
BethanW
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My invigilators are such a bunch of numptys, I tell you.

In AQA English on Thursday, a boy in front of me put his hand up to say he didn't have a black pen. The invigilator looked at him stupid, so he pointed at the bit on the cover that tells you what colour to use. Her response?

'Oh well, I've never seen that before. Just ignore it, it's not important.'
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I reckon the only reason for this is because some people use really pale light blue pens. Normal blue scans absolutely perfectly unless they have some really crumby scanners.

On the front of my AQA Geography paper it didn't even mention being able to use pencil, so I had to do my diagram in pencil then go over it in pen, which then smudged.

Only OCR bother to mark papers properly any more. If I was an examiner I would hate to have to mark on the computer, especially for essay subjects!
RoadWarrior
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
I reckon the only reason for this is because some people use really pale light blue pens. Normal blue scans absolutely perfectly unless they have some really crumby scanners.

On the front of my AQA Geography paper it didn't even mention being able to use pencil, so I had to do my diagram in pencil then go over it in pen, which then smudged.

Only OCR bother to mark papers properly any more. If I was an examiner I would hate to have to mark on the computer, especially for essay subjects!
Yeah, drawing in pen is really annoying! It keeps on smudging and you can't rub it out this scanning thing is really annoying in general.
Mr Nonsense
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
How do they read all of those hundreds of essays on a computer screen? either they go blind or they don't read them properly .... (the latter is more probable).....

Edit:woo. 300 posts....
username195819
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never knew they scanned papers until yesterday! I was never told. My head invigilator always says "You must use either blue or black ink or ball-point pen". On the day of the first exam she said that regardless of the fact it says use black only, we can use blue. Obviously then, I've used blue in a few of my papers! Oh well, it seems to me it won't have serious consequences - just the examiners being picky!
marshallj
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I reckon only the english aqa papers state black pen because they had to be reprinted due to them changing it and the other papers haven't stated because they were printed before they changed the rules
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rach.)
I never knew they scanned papers until yesterday! I was never told. My head invigilator always says "You must use either blue or black ink or ball-point pen". On the day of the first exam she said that regardless of the fact it says use black only, we can use blue. Obviously then, I've used blue in a few of my papers! Oh well, it seems to me it won't have serious consequences - just the examiners being picky!
My head invigilator says the same, I'm wondering if she's reading from last years rules sheet. And I know lots of people use blue. I even complained to my head of year about it & she's done nothing.
abigail_92
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeah black pen for all as some get scanned to the examiners so one preson will mark just one question
well that is how it is for aqa science so probaly for other aqa as well
FreddoMufc
Report 11 years ago
hhaha ive written in blue ink for every single exam..does it really matter? they aren't going to mark you down just for writing in blue. Also how can they scan like geography or english papers when you writee loaads and there are not set answers? wb
n1ko0
Report 11 years ago
AQA exams say "Use black ink or ball-point pen"....a ball point pen is just a biro therefore a blue biro is fine, providing its not really pale blue i'd assume. The invigilators have started saying use black ink just to be safe but im sure blue biro is acceptable.
DaveJ
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by n1ko0)
AQA exams say "Use black ink or ball-point pen"....a ball point pen is just a biro therefore a blue biro is fine, providing its not really pale blue i'd assume. The invigilators have started saying use black ink just to be safe but im sure blue biro is acceptable.

That isn't what that instruction means. It means you can either use ballpoint pen or biro, either of which must be in black ink.

HOWEVER, they aren't gona give you 0 just cos you used blue.
Fahimus Alimus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Same, but it ran out at the beginning even tho it was full. Apparently they will still mark it.
pete_comp
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Instructions for Conducting Examinations 2016-2017 ...

Information for candidates For written examinations - effective from 1 September 2016

6 You must write clearly and in black ink. Coloured pencils or inks may only be used for diagrams, maps, charts, etc. unless the instructions printed on the front of the question paper state otherwise.

Yep it will be the same for all exams to write in black ink only, I prefer blue too !!
GCSE PRO
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Nayberay)
Yup we were told the same..I use black anyways but I'm presuming its going to be the same for the rest of their exams..
In my school of course there was the one idiot who wrote in black and he had to resist the next year
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by GCSE PRO)
In my school of course there was the one idiot who wrote in black and he had to resist the next year
Was his paper ink-resistant? Or was the temptation simply not enough for him?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads