The Student Room Group

Am I being stupid by turning down Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123543
If workload is a concern - can any current/former Cambridge law students give any suggestions about workload in comparison to other Russel Group Universities, like Nottingham?

That would be much appreciated thank you!

The campus and feel is just as (if not more important) than the workload fears though.
Cambridge and other unis are in another league for employment for Law. More so than other subjects.
Original post by RogerOxon
How ambitious are you?

Go to Nottingham if you want to free-wheel. Go to Cambridge if you want to be pushed.

The third option is to take a gap year and apply to Oxford :smile:

I am very ambitious and do have big aspirations, hence why Cambridge was always a dream.

I’ve just altered my feelings dramatically and Nottingham just feels better - it’s not really free wheeling though is it? I mean it’s still a law degree at a very good university!?
Original post by garchas
Give Cambridge a go, so you never look back and say if only I had tried it out at the very least. You can always transfer to another uni if you didn't like it at Cambridge.

Take the challenge and then decide if its right for you. Nottingham would probably still take you on if you had to transfer.

I agree but then if I hate it, I’d rather have started afresh and gone to Nottingham, where I could have enjoyed freshers and a variety of people.
Original post by jade_louise2000
I agree but then if I hate it, I’d rather have started afresh and gone to Nottingham, where I could have enjoyed freshers and a variety of people.

not when you can get big dicks in cambrige man
Original post by Leviathan1611
it's up to you. I think it'd be a bad idea to reject it since it's a very good university and will create many opportunities for you.

this is just my opinion but, you're throwing away a place when there's someone else who desperately wanted it and didn't get it. it's unfair in a way to apply to Oxbridge and then not go when you get the offer because someone who really wanted it could've had that place instead and now it may have been wasted. again, that is just my opinion.

if you really feel like Cambridge is not for you, then don't go. you don't want to spend 3/4 years of your life miserable.

I know and I’m aware of just how privileged I am as I worked so hard throughout the whole process and Cambridge has been my dream since around 15 years old.

Because of this, I didn’t really consider other universities but I looked around Nottingham and loved it and the campus and felt much more at home than I did at Cambridge.
Original post by Human_bean
If I were in your position, I’d go to Cambridge, and if you really dislike it that much, you should be able to transfer into the 2nd year of Law at Nottingham after your first year.

That’s true but it’ll be more difficult to settle, find accommodation etc as people will have already made friends.
I’ve just altered my feelings dramatically and Nottingham just feels better - it’s not really free wheeling though is it? I mean it’s still a law degree at a very good university!?

Lawyers aren't meant to have feelings .. :smile:

Law isn't my area, but they're in different leagues.

Many good candidates don't apply, some reject Oxbridge offers. Just make sure that you have a reasoned explanation that your future self can't fault. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Original post by mr_carrot
Another possibility is enquiring whether Cambridge will allow you to be released to your insurance on results day. Perhaps you could contact central admissions / your college for written confirmation? It is up to the university whether they would allow this.

That way, you can have Nottingham as your insurance - if you miss the A*AA grades for Law at Cambridge, then you can still go to Nottingham (AAA). It would give you more time to decide, as if you meet the grades but decide Nottingham would suit you better, then you can again still go to Nottingham.

I think it is a gamble to base such a huge decision on presumptions. You won’t know if a university truly suits you until you go there - for most unis, provided you do well in your A levels and in your first year transferring isn’t difficult. Manchester gave me an offer within days! This isn’t true for Oxford or Cambridge.

:h:

Thank you, that’s helpful :smile:

If I’m being completely honest, Nottingham is where I want to go and feel I’ll be happiest. It’s more just a fear of disappointing people and that I’ll be closing too many doors.

I mean, students who graduate from Nottingham with a law degree can still go into the top firms I presume?
That’s true but it’ll be more difficult to settle, find accommodation etc as people will have already made friends.

What do you think to my suggestion? If Cambridge would allow you to be released to your insurance (Nottingham) on results day, then you have more time to decide 😊 That way, you can focus on smashing your A-levels and thinking it through carefully over the summer when you have the time and space to do so.

Uni isn’t really about friends as much as you think it might be.
After the first year, everyone is too busy working hard. The only friends you really keep are the ones you make on your course, or the ones that live in your halls. So don’t worry about the making friends aspect too much.
Of course you're not! I looked around Oxford uni and was going to apply for a choral scholarship there but I just knew it wasn't for me and I chose a conservatoire instead. The most important thing about choosing your uni is choosing the right place for you and a place and course you know you'll love and can see yourself at for 3 or so years! I know this because I've known so many people just leave uni or switch unis because they knew it wasn't right for them, hated the course or just hated the place!
Just because Cambridge has that 'prestigious label' doesn't mean it's the best place ever and that it will give a graduate an easier ride because of its name...you obviously are extremely capable it's just about working hard when you graduate which is the same for all graduates.

By the way, I looked around Nottingham when I was choosing unis and it was amazing! It was my second choice, such a lovely uni :smile:

@jade_louise2000
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 72
visit Cambridge again speak to people from your department and then decide, take your parents with you. Its a tough decision and there is really no right or wrong answer.
Original post by RogerOxon
Lawyers aren't meant to have feelings .. :smile:

Law isn't my area, but they're in different leagues.

Many good candidates don't apply, some reject Oxbridge offers. Just make sure that you have a reasoned explanation that your future self can't fault. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thank you, that’s really kind :smile: I am fully aware that Oxbridge is far superior to any other.

I think it’ll just be more weighing up pros and cons and then settling with what my heart wants. Which right now is Nottingham.
Original post by mr_carrot
What do you think to my suggestion? If Cambridge would allow you to be released to your insurance (Nottingham) on results day, then you have more time to decide 😊 That way, you can focus on smashing your A-levels and thinking it through carefully over the summer when you have the time and space to do so.

That’s a really good idea actually thank you :smile: My only worry would be accommodation though - it’s not guaranteed if it’s your insurance is it and I’d hate private accommodation.
Thank you, that’s helpful :smile:

If I’m being completely honest, Nottingham is where I want to go and feel I’ll be happiest. It’s more just a fear of disappointing people and that I’ll be closing too many doors.

I mean, students who graduate from Nottingham with a law degree can still go into the top firms I presume?

Looks like we both replied at the same time!

It does sound like Nottingham would be the best option - you wouldn’t be a disappointment by any means!

I don’t see why not - if you get a First from Nottingham (which is what I’d try and aim for as you clearly have exceptional potential) then why wouldn’t they want you? The Cambridge brand is useful on a CV (which is why some on this thread are skeptical) but it is the whole package of you as a person that will matter.
Original post by Human_bean
Uni isn’t really about friends as much as you think it might be.
After the first year, everyone is too busy working hard. The only friends you really keep are the ones you make on your course, or the ones that live in your halls. So don’t worry about the making friends aspect too much.

I’d still like to have a semblance of a social life though and this seemed much more possible at Nottingham; the overall social scene fitted me more!
Hi all,

I've just made this account as I'm really conflicted over what to do right now.

I was amazed that back in January I got an offer to study law at Cambridge - I worked really hard for it and my family was so proud that I received an offer.

However, having thought about it more, I just don't know if Cambridge is right for me anymore. The workload looks overbearing, I'm not entirely convinced by the idea of constant formals and I'd rather enjoy my uni experience rather than being overwhelmed by pressure and expectation.

Despite this, I still thought I'd go to Cambridge because of it's prestige, how many doors it would open and just how hard I've worked.

Yet, when I looked around Nottingham (who have also given me an offer), I absolutely loved it - the campus, its overall feel, the excitement and nightlife of the city and I feel I could see myself fitting in there and enjoying myself much more than Cambridge and it's where I'd prefer to go.

When I mentioned this to my parents, they went mental and thought I was being incredibly stupid as having the opportunity to go to Cambridge is something many would dream of and Nottingham is quite a few notches below. I know this is very true and it's a part of my thinking but Nottingham is just where I want to go.

So, being as honest as you wish, if I turn down Cambridge to firm Nottingham instead, am I being shortsighted and wasting a great opportunity? I know Notts is still a fantastic uni but Cambridge is in that upper echelon that will open so many doors.

Thanks so much for the help as I've really been worrying.

Jade xxx

To be honest I'm not too sure why you're studying law if what you're after is a light workload and no/low pressure or expectation. It's an odd choice, especially if you want to follow through with going into the profession.

As stated by another poster, obviously you don't have to go to formals -- which are actually quite fun anyway. Try being more open to things. Yes, there are other traditional/ unusual elements of the student experience, and the same applies. You have no reason to think you won't fit in, because it attracts all types.

Obviously you don't have to if you don't want to. You can still get top legal jobs from Nottingham, albeit that the applications culture (which is helpful) probably won't be as strong, and firms won't try quite so hard to woo you, advertise to you, inform you of their processes etc. Neither will you likely have the same culture of alumni from various fields returning to their colleges to tell you all about what they do/ willing to make contact with you, etc. Frankly, you won't leave with as rigorous an education in the law. But you're not going to be left with any insurmountable barriers to a good legal career if you leave with a good degree.
Hi all,

I've just made this account as I'm really conflicted over what to do right now.

I was amazed that back in January I got an offer to study law at Cambridge - I worked really hard for it and my family was so proud that I received an offer.

However, having thought about it more, I just don't know if Cambridge is right for me anymore. The workload looks overbearing, I'm not entirely convinced by the idea of constant formals and I'd rather enjoy my uni experience rather than being overwhelmed by pressure and expectation.

Despite this, I still thought I'd go to Cambridge because of it's prestige, how many doors it would open and just how hard I've worked.

Yet, when I looked around Nottingham (who have also given me an offer), I absolutely loved it - the campus, its overall feel, the excitement and nightlife of the city and I feel I could see myself fitting in there and enjoying myself much more than Cambridge and it's where I'd prefer to go.

When I mentioned this to my parents, they went mental and thought I was being incredibly stupid as having the opportunity to go to Cambridge is something many would dream of and Nottingham is quite a few notches below. I know this is very true and it's a part of my thinking but Nottingham is just where I want to go.

So, being as honest as you wish, if I turn down Cambridge to firm Nottingham instead, am I being shortsighted and wasting a great opportunity? I know Notts is still a fantastic uni but Cambridge is in that upper echelon that will open so many doors.

Thanks so much for the help as I've really been worrying.

Jade xxx

Go to Nottingham if that's where you think you will be happier :smile: Oxbridge is NOT the be all and end all and I know a number of students who have rejected places. Your parents might be a bit disappointed but will want you to be happy. Get a top degree at Nottingham and you will be fine.
Original post by super_hannah
Of course you're not! I looked around Oxford uni and was going to apply for a choral scholarship there but I just knew it wasn't for me and I chose a conservatoire instead. The most important thing about choosing your uni is choosing the right place for you and a place and course you know you'll love and can see yourself at for 3 or so years! I know this because I've known so many people just leave uni or switch unis because they knew it wasn't right for them, hated the course or just hated the place!
Just because Cambridge has that 'prestigious label' doesn't mean it's the best place ever and that it will give a graduate an easier ride because of its name...you obviously are extremely capable it's just about working hard when you graduate which is the same for all graduates.

By the way, I looked around Nottingham when I was choosing unis and it was amazing! It was my second choice, such a lovely uni :smile:

@jade_louise2000

Thank you, that’s really kind :smile:

I was set on it since I was 15 but Nottingham just made me realise how much I preferred it and how more “me” it was.

It does feel like I’ve wasted a lot of hard work and effort but I suppose it isn’t for everyone and at least I can always tell myself I was good enough and can be happy at Notts, should I go :smile:

Thanks again xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending