Should I do an MSc to get a funded-PhD? Watch

Chrismed
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hiya!

So. I am an EU graduate (chemistry) and I am interested in starting a PhD. I have already got a postgraduate diploma (also from an EU institution).

I had applied for a couple of Phds and got accepted as the best canditate by the suoervisors as BUT did not get the funding after the final interview. They all said ''we are happy with you starting the project but the university has not got the resources so we encourage self-funding''.

I am thinking of doing an MSc so that I can introduce myself to the academia here in the UK and be relevent (!). It has put me off so much, you guys. I have publications in peer reviewed journals and still I cannot get a funding. Yes, I know I might not be good in the interview (the council interview that gives the funding) but still I got accepted by every uni I applied for.

Any advice? Is there anyone that went through that route? Will I have better chances if I do an MSc to get the funding for a PhD?
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chrismed)
Hiya!

So. I am an EU graduate (chemistry) and I am interested in starting a PhD. I have already got a postgraduate diploma (also from an EU institution).

I had applied for a couple of Phds and got accepted as the best canditate by the suoervisors as BUT did not get the funding after the final interview. They all said ''we are happy with you starting the project but the university has not got the resources so we encourage self-funding''.

I am thinking of doing an MSc so that I can introduce myself to the academia here in the UK and be relevent (!). It has put me off so much, you guys. I have publications in peer reviewed journals and still I cannot get a funding. Yes, I know I might not be good in the interview (the council interview that gives the funding) but still I got accepted by every uni I applied for.

Any advice? Is there anyone that went through that route? Will I have better chances if I do an MSc to get the funding for a PhD?
The first thing you need to do is get feedback on your funding applications/interviews. While having an MSc will help with your competitiveness for a PhD program you will still have to win funding. No uni is going to automatically give you funding because you have an MSc.
CatnipGlows
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Chrismed)
Hiya!

I'm in a similar boat! Finding funding is very hard, and can be very competitive, so don't take it personally. In order to get funding you need to do everything you can to give yourself the best application possible. If that means doing an MSc, then so be it.

I had an offer but got rejected for funding, despite having peer reviewed publications and industry experience. It's hard.
googin1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not sure which research council you applied to but if you went through ESRC, you could take the 1+3 route, which means they would fund your masters (at an ESRC-accredited institution) and PhD
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
maresa_re
Badges: 5
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by googin1)
I’m not sure which research council you applied to but if you went through ESRC, you could take the 1+3 route, which means they would fund your masters (at an ESRC-accredited institution) and PhD
The research councils only pay your fees if you're an EU student.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads