The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham vs Glasgow?

Hi all, I'm an international student applying for the 2020 entry. I've now received a few offers, but I'm quite torn between them so I'll like some advice on here.

I've applied to Glasgow and Durham, and I've been offered a place in UofG's microbiology. The issue is my ideal course (economics) rejected me and Durham has offered me the course.

For me, the pros and cons of each place is:

Glasgow

Pros:
- studied here before as an exchange student
- much cheaper living than Durham
- very good friends in UofG, feels like I can fit into the uni and city very well, used to the uni environment
- been studying biology since secondary school, has a diploma in veterinary science

Cons:
- Biology has decent job prospects, especially given that Scotland seems to want talents in biology, but I have little interest and I need to study very hard for okay results
- 4-year course, so I presume tuition fees will be higher (seems like people might view this differently though, I'll like your opinion on this)

Durham - I've only applied because I thought my grades weren't good enough!

Pros:
- Economics is very interesting for me, lots of job opportunities
- Lovely environment, and I guess the prestige? I'm worried employers see Durham as Oxbridge rejects though
- 3-year course, I can do a sandwich year too

Cons:
- The collegiate system seems a little too posh for me
- Expensive to live in - I'm seriously considering living in Newcastle instead and commute to Durham
- Dunno about reputation - some say it's closer to being a business degree than an economics one? And it being a BA might adversely affect job opportunities?
- My maths isn't great

I'll appreciate any replies and advices!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Thistley
Hi all, I'm an international student applying for the 2020 entry. I've now received a few offers, but I'm quite torn between them so I'll like some advice on here.

I've applied to Glasgow and Durham, and I've been offered a place in UofG's microbiology. The issue is my ideal course (economics) rejected me and Durham has offered me the course.

For me, the pros and cons of each place is:

Glasgow

Pros:
- studied here before as an exchange student
- much cheaper living than Durham
- very good friends in UofG, feels like I can fit into the uni and city very well, used to the uni environment
- been studying biology since secondary school, has a diploma in veterinary science

Cons:
- Biology has decent job prospects, especially given that Scotland seems to want talents in biology, but I have little interest and I need to study very hard for okay results
- 4-year course, so I presume tuition fees will be higher (seems like people might view this differently though, I'll like your opinion on this)

Durham - I've only applied because I thought my grades weren't good enough!

Pros:
- Economics is very interesting for me, lots of job opportunities
- Lovely environment, and I guess the prestige? I'm worried employers see Durham as Oxbridge rejects though
- 3-year course, I can do a sandwich year too

Cons:
- The collegiate system seems a little too posh for me
- Expensive to live in - I'm seriously considering living in Newcastle instead and commute to Durham
- Dunno about reputation - some say it's closer to being a business degree than an economics one? And it being a BA might adversely affect job opportunities?
- My maths isn't great

I'll appreciate any replies and advices!

I'd say Glasgow, it seems like you'd enjoy it more. Durham has a good reputation but it's not amazing.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending