The Student Room Group

Art history self study for 2 years , before I do an A level exam

hi guys , just wondered if you could help me , I am starting a self study course which I have created , which include watching seminars and lectures roughly about 200 of these to get through , and reading books and taking notes , also using Cambridge past syllabus for help , and past papers from edexcel .
After 2 years of study Then I will put in for an A level exam .

is there anything else you recommend me do for Art history.

Thank you all
Original post by Aradiaa
hi guys , just wondered if you could help me , I am starting a self study course which I have created , which include watching seminars and lectures roughly about 200 of these to get through , and reading books and taking notes , also using Cambridge past syllabus for help , and past papers from edexcel .
After 2 years of study Then I will put in for an A level exam .

is there anything else you recommend me do for Art history.

Thank you all

Maybe check the specification of the exam you wish to take to make sure what you study is relevant to the exam. You will also have to deal with exam technique and exam format.

Sounds a bit chaotic. If you are going to self teach then male sure its relevant and you meet the criteria.
Make sure you have identified somewhere to sit the exam.
Make sure its available to private candidates.
Reply 2
thank you , and yes I have already been told there is an A level exam I can take , I just need to make sure im studying all the right stuff, I am sorted , in every other way , just maybe , is there key points to A level Art history , as you well know , art history is a vast subject with loads of other topics in between , I just need to know most of the topics to study ,and read about and if there are seminars watch them. just need that guide towards a subject or starting point .
Again thku so much for your advice I will follow it .any thing else you recommend ?
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe check the specification of the exam you wish to take to make sure what you study is relevant to the exam. You will also have to deal with exam technique and exam format.

Sounds a bit chaotic. If you are going to self teach then male sure its relevant and you meet the criteria.
Make sure you have identified somewhere to sit the exam.
Make sure its available to private candidates.
Original post by Aradiaa
thank you , and yes I have already been told there is an A level exam I can take , I just need to make sure im studying all the right stuff, I am sorted , in every other way , just maybe , is there key points to A level Art history , as you well know , art history is a vast subject with loads of other topics in between , I just need to know most of the topics to study ,and read about and if there are seminars watch them. just need that guide towards a subject or starting point .
Again thku so much for your advice I will follow it .any thing else you recommend ?

Dont think you are getting what I am telling you.
ID the exam boards that offer A level Art History.
ID the exam boards that offer it to private candidates.
Read the specification and exam format. The specification will give you an indication of which areas need covering and possible source books.
Then you can apply accordingly.
You will also need to find an exam centre that is willing to let you sit the exam there.
You then need to sort out the payment and admin with the centre.

AQA no longer offer this subject.
Edexcel do.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/history-of-art-2017.html
Reply 4
ok ok , I understand now , I have found a place to do my exam at a exam centre for private students they sent me some past materials to look at , also I know edexcel do this exam now , but wasn't sure if it was the only place to do it that's all .. obviously its the only exam board to offer this exam , now I know thankyou. I am looking through the specification as we speak now. and writing notes on what I have to do , ,.. thank you , got a long way to go ,. thank you for your help and advice sorry I got it wrong . but am great full for all advice here.
Original post by 999tigger
Dont think you are getting what I am telling you.
ID the exam boards that offer A level Art History.
ID the exam boards that offer it to private candidates.
Read the specification and exam format. The specification will give you an indication of which areas need covering and possible source books.
Then you can apply accordingly.
You will also need to find an exam centre that is willing to let you sit the exam there.
You then need to sort out the payment and admin with the centre.

AQA no longer offer this subject.
Edexcel do.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/history-of-art-2017.html
It is actually wayyy too difficult to self teach and get above a C because there are no textbooks etc. and the amount of detail you need to know is ridiculous!!!
Reply 6
well its worth the try , and thku for being honest .

Quick Reply

Latest