Bf didn't say I love you at the right time Watch

camembertqueen
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
My bf finally told me he loves me after 4 months. But I felt like I had to really nudge him to say it as he's the type that's really respectful and does think things through very carefully. I dropped hints on valentines day and recently told him I want him to express his emotions more and he said the three words literally after this discussion.

My birthday happened to drop on our 3 month anniversary, and he took me to a really swanky restaurant. I did think we'd tell each other then, and I had planned to but nerves got the better of me. Whilst we were in the restaurant I was telling him how much I like him, to which he replied 'I love my (my name)'. I didn't say it back but smiled and said 'aww', I was really happy to hear this. He didn't outright tell me he loves me though - if he did, I would've said it back.

It makes me a bit sad because right after my birthday came valentines day and we didn't get to enjoy it as much - it was a bit awkward at times since we hadn't expressed our emotions fully to one another yet. But I was certain he loved me at this point and certain that I did too. I also wish it was said on my birthday as it would've been a really special day to remember as everything else was perfect.

Am I being ridiculous for being slightly annoyed at this?
ArizonaMaster999
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I mean in my honest opinion I don't think you need to be slightly annoyed, it's just one of those things, it'll happen eventually.
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes you are being ridiculous. Seriously wtf is this what people bloody stress over. Get a grip ffs.
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by camembertqueen)
he replied 'I love my (my name)'. I didn't say it back but smiled and said 'aww'
And you're wondering why he didn't tell you he loved you again for a while.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You're being ridiculous.
camembertqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
And you're wondering why he didn't tell you he loved you again for a while.
he didn't say 'I love you', and it was kind of a a passing comment in conversation
Tootles
Report 5 months ago
My bf finally told me he loves me after 4 months. But I felt like I had to really nudge him to say it as he's the type that's really respectful and does think things through very carefully. I dropped hints on valentines day and recently told him I want him to express his emotions more and he said the three words literally after this discussion.

My birthday happened to drop on our 3 month anniversary, and he took me to a really swanky restaurant. I did think we'd tell each other then, and I had planned to but nerves got the better of me. Whilst we were in the restaurant I was telling him how much I like him, to which he replied 'I love my (my name)'. I didn't say it back but smiled and said 'aww', I was really happy to hear this. He didn't outright tell me he loves me though - if he did, I would've said it back.

It makes me a bit sad because right after my birthday came valentines day and we didn't get to enjoy it as much - it was a bit awkward at times since we hadn't expressed our emotions fully to one another yet. But I was certain he loved me at this point and certain that I did too. I also wish it was said on my birthday as it would've been a really special day to remember as everything else was perfect.

Am I being ridiculous for being slightly annoyed at this?
  1. You shouldn't push people to say or do anything before they are ready. How would you feel if it was the other way round? Or in more familiar terms for now - how would you feel if you'd been together a few months and not had sex, and then he's saying "y'know it's really about time we did the do, we've been together ages and I feel like you don't want me"?
  2. Anniversaries are celebrated once a year, by definition. You don't have a "three month anniversary". If you must have anything, you have a "third mensiversary". If you think that sounds silly, that's because it is. Staying together for three months is not an achievement or a triumph of True Love. It's the first quarter of a formative period, and that is all.
camembertqueen
Rep:
?
bump
camembertqueen
Rep:
?
??
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
You shouldn’t have to make him say it... believe me I’ve made that mistake before aswell... I know it feels nice to hear it but he could just not be ready yet

You’ve got nothing to worry about at you’d rather have him say it when he means it than just say it whenever
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Lilli22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You've posted this thread before.

Like everyone else is saying, calm down. You seem to be pressuring him a bit much and seem hard to please. He will tell you he loves you when he's ready. Stop trying to push things over.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Get a grip.
bones-mccoy
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It sounds like you have idealistic view of relationships. In reality no grown adults celebrate being together for 3 months - by definition an anniversary is celebrated once a year. Surely you'd rather him say "I love you" when he's ready and actually means it rather than him saying it because he feels that's what you want to hear?
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
bump
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
he didn't say 'I love you', and it was kind of a a passing comment in conversation
SO, you're saying you expect a bunch of flowers and a limo when saying "I LOVE YOU"???? Naa girl, u over-reacting... You're the one who didn't even reply backk. tbh he should've made a thread titled "I said 'I love you' but she decided to make a thread saying I said it at the wrong time"...
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Tbh, if the both of you follow what you're doing, neither of you will tell the other if there is love there, simply because the other didn't go first. He took a baby step, you should at least reciprocate that if not respond fully.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 days ago
Over the past few weeks this person has posted about four threads on this same thing as anon.
Rawr789
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Dude, if your pressuring him to say It how do you know he means it, and he didn't just say it so you'd stop pressuring him. But at the end of the day he said it, what more do you want?

Edit: So you've made about 4 threads about this and you also have a thread pretending to be your bf after he said "I love my Emily". And this thread was made 5 months ago, so why are you bumping it?
Last edited by Rawr789; 4 days ago
camembertqueen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Zain_Ahmed)
SO, you're saying you expect a bunch of flowers and a limo when saying "I LOVE YOU"???? Naa girl, u over-reacting... You're the one who didn't even reply backk. tbh he should've made a thread titled "I said 'I love you' but she decided to make a thread saying I said it at the wrong time"...
Just a nice declaration that’s all. It was kind of random
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
camembertqueen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (69)
17.56%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (247)
62.85%
Not yet but I am planning to (20)
5.09%
Not yet but I might (57)
14.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise