candokoala
  • TSR Group Staff
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
blacksheep8 asked this question in the Papyrus AMA thread last week:

What positive and negative changes do you think we'll see as a result of so many young people today talking on social media about things people are too scared to talk about in real life?
shadowdweller
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think positive changes - over time - is that we'll start to see society eventually be more open to the conversations, and perhaps even reduce the need for discussion on social media because there is less stigma against it. Unfortunately I think one of the negatives shorter term is that as well as finding it easier to talk online than in real life, people also find it easier to troll, and that's something that really needs to be dealt with to keep the conversation open and positive.
NotNotBatman
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The positive is that many different issues can and will be discussed, which didn't have as much open discussion before.

The negative is that some of the discussions will be detrimental. An example is pseudoscientific claims and trolling as shadow mentioned.

Along with that, the more social media is used, the more you will come across things that may trigger mental health issues. Instagram is an example; someone may see posts which encourage body positivity for example, but they will still come across photo shopped pictures that worsen body dysmorphia.

A person with anxiety and depression can find a medium a good outlet, but then might get trapped in an echo chamber and it may be difficult for those with those issues to see how to differentiate between whats beneficial and whats not.
PAPYRUS-UK
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by candokoala)
blacksheep8 asked this question in the Papyrus AMA thread last week:

What positive and negative changes do you think we'll see as a result of so many young people today talking on social media about things people are too scared to talk about in real life?
Hey there,

That’s a brilliant question and something very relevant to right now.

Negative changes can occur on social media when a subject relating to mental health- such as suicide- is not discussed in a safe or sensitive way. In response to a campaign for change, Instagram and Facebook have recently reviewed their policies and procedures with our assistance, to ensure that their platforms are safer. For example, by preventing users from sharing graphic images of self-harm and suicide.

We expect some really positive changes as a result of today. Social media provides a unique opportunity for people to share their struggles around mental health- without having to do so in person- something that many people find difficult. Social media can also connect people that would otherwise be isolated to new sources of support. We need to challenge the stigma around talking about suicide and mental health by doing just that. Talking can save a life and today gives everyone at The Student Room an opportunity to be a part of something that really could save a life.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (111)
17.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.84%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (194)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed