The Student Room Group

I don't know my secret answer for Student Finance

A student finance account was automatically made when I started receiving EMA, so I went through the forgotten password route to try to log in. It keeps asking for my secret answer which they 'sent me' but I don't know what the secret answer is because I never made one. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sorchamcw1
A student finance account was automatically made when I started receiving EMA, so I went through the forgotten password route to try to log in. It keeps asking for my secret answer which they 'sent me' but I don't know what the secret answer is because I never made one. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Hi there,

You should also be able to reset your secret answer on your online account. If you continue to have issues with this then you will need to call us on 0300 100 0607 to have this reset over the phone.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 2
Hey can you help to reset my secret answer
Original post by Lagrands
Hey can you help to reset my secret answer

Hi there, please give us a call on 0300 100 0607.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac,Just seen others are experiencing this problem - wanted to give you the heads up that when I call that number, I'm asked for the secret answer before I can speak to somebody - which means I can't actually get any of your representatives on the phone.Please advise.Alice
Original post by alice.gormley
Hi Isaac,Just seen others are experiencing this problem - wanted to give you the heads up that when I call that number, I'm asked for the secret answer before I can speak to somebody - which means I can't actually get any of your representatives on the phone.Please advise.Alice

Hi Alice, that's not correct. I tried to call the number myself at 10:30am today to test the line and I pressed option 1 then option 2 and it took me 1 minutes 11 seconds for an advisor to answer, it did not ask me for any details. It will only ask for your details if you press other options.
Thanks, Isaac
How do I get my Secret answer without phoning? I am deaf and can't speak on a phone. Any help would be much appreciated
Original post by Lukey1997
How do I get my Secret answer without phoning? I am deaf and can't speak on a phone. Any help would be much appreciated

Hi, you can use RelayUK https://www.relayuk.bt.com/ previously known as Next Generation Text Service to communicate with us on the phone to reset your details.

You can also reset your secret answer online at http://logon.slc.co.uk/

Thanks, Isaac
I am having the same issue.

I had to reset my e-mail address as I left university 10 years ago.

I try to login with my customer reference number and new password but get this..

"Before you can login, we need you to enter the requested characters from your secret answer.

Use the secret answer that we sent you."

I have no text, e-mail or letter stating this secret question.

I have tried to use website and telephone but am just going in circles. I have tried every phone number but never get through to a person. I want to sort this because I know you never stop taking money from me, even when I have fully paid debt.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tpmckelvey
I am having the same issue.

I had to reset my e-mail address as I left university 10 years ago.

I try to login with my customer reference number and new password but get this..

"Before you can login, we need you to enter the requested characters from your secret answer.

Use the secret answer that we sent you."

I have no text, e-mail or letter stating this secret question.

I have tried to use website and telephone but am just going in circles. I have tried every phone number but never get through to a person. I want to sort this because I know you never stop taking money from me, even when I have fully paid debt.

Hi there, please call our repayments team on 0300 100 0611.
Thanks, Isaac
I know your answer will be just give us a ring, but i am having the same problem as everyone else and can assure you i'm not getting anywhere by phoning. it just tells me i can reset my secret answer online and then hangs up, but there seems to be no way of doing that online. can you explain how to reset my secret answer please? it feels like a really complicated system.
Original post by matt1987
I know your answer will be just give us a ring, but i am having the same problem as everyone else and can assure you i'm not getting anywhere by phoning. it just tells me i can reset my secret answer online and then hangs up, but there seems to be no way of doing that online. can you explain how to reset my secret answer please? it feels like a really complicated system.

Hi Matt, please call 0300 100 0607 and press option 1 then option 2 to get straight through to an advisor. The call will only end if the line is too busy, please try call on a weekend or evening.
Thanks, Isaac
I've tried this as well, even following your advice above. Pressing 1 then 2 takes me to yet more automated responses and no way of getting through to somebody. The setup is beyond ridiculous. Its almost as if they dont want you to a) login to your accout, or b) speak to anybody about it!
Original post by LawMaker
I've tried this as well, even following your advice above. Pressing 1 then 2 takes me to yet more automated responses and no way of getting through to somebody. The setup is beyond ridiculous. Its almost as if they dont want you to a) login to your accout, or b) speak to anybody about it!

Pressing 1 then 2 will put you straight through to an advisor.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac - I appreciate based on your standard replies that you are a Comms assistant, but if you could pass this on to your manager please, we might actually get somewhere. This feedback from all of us is valuable and will make your life easier too.

I'm having the same issue as others here and I agree it's beyond ridiculous. On the phone line when I do get through, the options menu SPECIFICALLY includes an option of "If you are having trouble accessing your online account, please press 5". As Alice mentions above, this then asks for a secret answer. Telling Alice she's incorrect is rude; she is correct. If nothing else, this is misleading. Don't include an option if it's not viable.

If you want to be specific, it should say on the HMRC/SLC login page "If you do not know your secret answer, please dial 0300 100 0607 and press option 1 then option 2 to get straight through to an advisor".

We are told we have been "sent" a secret answer - I don't know when or how this was apparently sent to me. 16yrs ago when I went to uni? By post, email or text? Is it an answer to a question about myself or something random sent to me by SLC?

I could tell you all the personal details about myself and yet you're withholding access to details of my own financial situation, at an unprecedented time when finance is more stressful than it's ever been in my life, due to an answer that is apparently so secretive that even I don't know it. Phone lines are busy (I'm not surprised given this amount of faff we are all having to go through), there's no online chat options...and I thought Virgin Media was bad.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nikki1921
Hi Isaac - I appreciate based on your standard replies that you are a Comms assistant, but if you could pass this on to your manager please, we might actually get somewhere. This feedback from all of us is valuable and will make your life easier too.

I'm having the same issue as others here and I agree it's beyond ridiculous. On the phone line when I do get through, the options menu SPECIFICALLY includes an option of "If you are having trouble accessing your online account, please press 5". As Alice mentions above, this then asks for a secret answer. Telling Alice she's incorrect is rude; she is correct. If nothing else, this is misleading. Don't include an option if it's not viable.

If you want to be specific, it should say on the HMRC/SLC login page "If you do not know your secret answer, please dial 0300 100 0607 and press option 1 then option 2 to get straight through to an advisor".

We are told we have been "sent" a secret answer - I don't know when or how this was apparently sent to me. 16yrs ago when I went to uni? By post, email or text? Is it an answer to a question about myself or something random sent to me by SLC?

I could tell you all the personal details about myself and yet you're withholding access to details of my own financial situation, at an unprecedented time when finance is more stressful than it's ever been in my life, due to an answer that is apparently so secretive that even I don't know it. Phone lines are busy (I'm not surprised given this amount of faff we are all having to go through), there's no online chat options...and I thought Virgin Media was bad.

Hi Nikki, the 0300 100 0607 number is for current students, not for graduates who are repaying.

Graduates who are repaying are advised to call 0300 100 0611, however I don't know the numbers to get through straight to the repayments team so that is why I advised the customer to call 0300 100 0607 and press option 1 and 2 as this is the fastest way to get through to someone and it will be someone at SFE not repayments. However the SFE advisor can rest the account details are transfer the call to our repayments team.

Sorry that you felt I was rude but I was trying to be helpful.
Our phones lines are even more busy due to the coronavirus pandemic.

If you do call 0300 100 0607 and press option 1 then 2 then it should work if you try on an evening or the weekend.

Also to make you aware, there is an online chat. You can speak to our repayments team via Facebook or Twitter but they will need your security details to access your account.
Thanks, Isaac
(edited 3 years ago)
I've literally just called the number you stated above as available at weekends and its not. This secret answer problem is utterly ridiculous, who remembers a secret answer when you're not allowed to know the question from over a decade ago?? I've moved to live in Canada and I'm working a lot so it's seriously difficult for me to find the time to call when you're open. Why make it so difficult?? Whats wrong with good old fashioned passwords OR just asking me some person details?? Guess I'll try calling back at 12 at night. Though last time I couldn't get through to anyone either, I'll attempt pressing 1 then 2 and if that doesn't work I guess I'll just continue to let my mother recieve your letters and just never pay it back.
Original post by jessimmo90
I've literally just called the number you stated above as available at weekends and its not. This secret answer problem is utterly ridiculous, who remembers a secret answer when you're not allowed to know the question from over a decade ago?? I've moved to live in Canada and I'm working a lot so it's seriously difficult for me to find the time to call when you're open. Why make it so difficult?? Whats wrong with good old fashioned passwords OR just asking me some person details?? Guess I'll try calling back at 12 at night. Though last time I couldn't get through to anyone either, I'll attempt pressing 1 then 2 and if that doesn't work I guess I'll just continue to let my mother recieve your letters and just never pay it back.

Apologies, I should of stated Saturday only, our call centre is currently closed on a Sunday until next year.

Did you manage to get this resolved?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 18
I'm glad I'm not the only one infuriated by this! Every option ends without being able to speak to someone, it's not possible to reset the secret answer online despite Isaac and the recorded message saying it is. I graduated 7.5 years ago and keep every single piece of correspondence from SLC and have nothing mentioning a secret answer, I don't think I even set up the online account so this is probably where the glitch lies. I managed to reset my password but I've now got the brick wall. SLC this is terrible customer service. I don't have Facebook or Twitter so my only other option is writing to you unless I can find an alternative number for Scotland where a live human is on the other end of the phone.
Original post by RY89
I'm glad I'm not the only one infuriated by this! Every option ends without being able to speak to someone, it's not possible to reset the secret answer online despite Isaac and the recorded message saying it is. I graduated 7.5 years ago and keep every single piece of correspondence from SLC and have nothing mentioning a secret answer, I don't think I even set up the online account so this is probably where the glitch lies. I managed to reset my password but I've now got the brick wall. SLC this is terrible customer service. I don't have Facebook or Twitter so my only other option is writing to you unless I can find an alternative number for Scotland where a live human is on the other end of the phone.

Hi, have you tried calling the repayments department on 0300 100 0611? It may be best to call on an evening when it's less busy. If you can't get through on that number you could call 0300 100 0607 and press option 1 then option 2 to speak to an SFE advisor who can transfer your call to the repayments team.

If you prefer to talk to the team via social media then you could create a Facebook/Twitter account to speak to them online.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest