Watch
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Today's Telegraph

The numbers are in

"Arts graduates each cost the taxpayer £35,000 an analysis by The Institute for Fiscal Studies have found.
Degrees in creative arts subjects including music drama fine art and design studies are the most costly to the taxpayer because so few earn enough money to pay back their student loans in full

Least likely to pay back a loan-
Creative arts
Agriculture and veterinary sciences
Comes and media
All the Arts and humanities
Education
English

Most likely to pay back loans-
Medicine
Economics
Engineering
Mathematics and computer science
Law
Physics.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People who earn less money pay less tax? Shocker!
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:yawn:
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Although, that's one less reason to give higher tuition fees to the science courses.
Daigan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Whether people pay back the loan or not, art degrees should still be available for funding as those that pursue these types of courses aren't usually capable of studying for proper, relevant STEM degrees.
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
People who earn less money pay less tax? Shocker!
It's not a tax. It's a loan, and it ought to be given on terms that it is required to be paid back.

I'm a graduate and I'll pay back my loan. I really don't see why I should also pay back other people's loans through taxation.
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Daigan)
Whether people pay back the loan or not, art degrees should still be available for funding as those that pursue these types of courses aren't usually capable of studying for proper, relevant STEM degrees.
So those that study a law or geography degree at somewhere like LSE aren't capable?...
KiwiBanana22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for sharing that information with us. As I understand it though, it is highly important to study something you are passionate about, regardless of the consequences/finances.
Mactotaur
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Creative industries’ record contribution to UK economy
£92bn sector growing at twice the rate of the economy
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
It's not a tax. It's a loan, and it ought to be given on terms that it is required to be paid back.

I'm a graduate and I'll pay back my loan. I really don't see why I should also pay back other people's loans through taxation.
For all intents and purposes, it is a tax. It's only branded as a loan so that expats are still liable to pay it.
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
how payable are language degrees? (modern)
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
For all intents and purposes, it is a tax. It's only branded as a loan so that expats are still liable to pay it.
It's obviously not entirely a tax, since it is possible to clear your liability entirely. I don't know of any other 'tax' whereby you can stop paying it after you've made a certain level of contribution.

It is possible to say it's an arrangement that presently functions in some ways like a tax. My position is that it ought to be treated more strictly like a loan. I'm not sure what label you choose to apply to it really makes much difference. Certainly 'it's just a tax!' isn't an answer to the complaint in OP, or to my complaint above.
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
At the moment the student loan bill is £100bn and increases by £12bn each year.
80% aren't anticipated to pay the loan in full and 50% aren't likely to pay at all.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Daigan)
Who says they have to study anything?
username3900288
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Why is design considered a creative art by these people, when it is an aspect of engineering and/or development?
kakdhro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qup)
Why is design considered a creative art by these people, when it is an aspect of engineering and/or development?
Because it isnt actually useful in any way without the maths and engineering
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Today's Telegraph

The numbers are in

"Arts graduates each cost the taxpayer £35,000 an analysis by The Institute for Fiscal Studies have found.
Degrees in creative arts subjects including music drama fine art and design studies are the most costly to the taxpayer because so few earn enough money to pay back their student loans in full

Least likely to pay back a loan-
Creative arts
Agriculture and veterinary sciences
Comes and media
All the Arts and humanities
Education
English

Most likely to pay back loans-
Medicine
Economics
Engineering
Mathematics and computer science
Law
Physics.
Art is important, get over it.
username3900288
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kakdhro)
Because it isnt actually useful in any way without the maths and engineering
Even Product, Industrial, UX and UI design? Which are high in job availability and salary? That are highly competitive? Exactly what "form of design" are you considering to not be useful (I guess without the maths and engineering, since you mentioned that)? Motion and graphic design? Visual and sound design?
kakdhro
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Qup)
Even Product, Industrial, UX and UI design? Which are high in job availability and salary? That are highly competitive? Exactly what "form of design" are you considering to not be useful (I guess without the maths and engineering, since you mentioned that)? Motion and graphic design? Visual and sound design?
I guess 'design' is quite broad but my point is, the more maths involved in it, the more useful it tends to be.
username4421160
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The only reason why people with STEM degrees or law degrees are likely to pay back their loan is because the pay in those industries is significantly higher than in the creative industry.

Art based jobs pay less but people go into it because they love the job. A lot of English grads go into publishing. Publishing doesn’t pay well but they love the job because it’s what they are passionate about.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (321)
34.22%
No (617)
65.78%

Watched Threads