Marvellous March: Lent Progress Megathread! Watch

CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey there everyone and happy Ash Wednesday! :ahee:
This thread is just one where you can post your progress in trying to give up or start whatever you wanted to during the Lent period.
Let's keep each other motivated and avoid giving up what we gave up for lent! :mmm:

:party: :rave: :grouphugs: :penguinhug: :woo: :happy2: :party2: :hoppy: :jive: :dance: :yay:
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Day 1 of Giving up Ice Cream for Lent -
- Yesterday decided not to have ice cream with pancakes on pancake day
Was a good decision I think :dontknow:
-So far don't really want ice cream because it is so cold.
-Going well at the moment :borat:

Over to you guys :awesome:
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
Day 1 of Giving up Ice Cream for Lent -
- Yesterday decided not to have ice cream with pancakes on pancake day
Was a good decision I think :dontknow:
-So far don't really want ice cream because it is so cold.
-Going well at the moment :borat:

Over to you guys :awesome:
I gave up ice cream last week but only because I think the dairy was causing me to have terrible skin :rofl: But quitting and getting more sunlight coincided so im not sure which actually helped :beard:

No more oreo ice cream :cry2:
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Update
Just had a terrible experience with the hairdresser and so alas normalement the solution = cry + ice cream
I can no longer do 50% of that
so it's gonna have to be a cry in the shower + ricecakes :sadnod:

(Original post by 8472)
I gave up ice cream last week but only because I think the dairy was causing me to have terrible skin :rofl: But quitting and getting more sunlight coincided so im not sure which actually helped :beard:

No more oreo ice cream :cry2:
o I see
a certain someone thinks I eat too much :dontknow: Personally I don't think I do but they said they'd give up crisps if I gave up ice cream so :mmm:

Ikr :emo: there's a sad packet of oreos in the cupboard now, maybe I can make it into a mug cake instead :teeth:
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
How much ice cream do you eat? :K: :rofl:

Day #1 - Giving up biscuits + Doing a Bible course
All good :thumbsup:
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by laurawatt)
How much ice cream do you eat? :rofl:

Day #1 - Giving up biscuits + Doing a Bible course
All good :thumbsup:
Not a lot I swear :ashamed2:
None at the moment

Woot go laurawatt!! :rave:

Day#2 and stuff is ok so far :yy:
StrawberryDreams
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are all superstars already - the one time I tried to give up chocolate for lent I lasted about 4 hours
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
You are all superstars already - the one time I tried to give up chocolate for lent I lasted about 4 hours
Aw :hugs: are you giving anything up this year?
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
day #2
:woo:
there were some custard creams at the christian group at school today. did not give in :nah:
StrawberryDreams
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aw :hugs: are you giving anything up this year?
I haven't this year, but you are all inspiring me to maybe do it next year!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oooh only just noticed this thread

Lent is typically my worst period mental health-wise, so I try and find alternative things to do, rather than giving stuff up My spiritual director once told me I should give up my high expectations of myself for Lent :headfire: She's very wise like that :ninja:

This year for Lent, I am following a book called 'The Art of Lent' by the late Sister Wendy Beckett ( :rip: ). Each day of Lent (save for the non-Holy Week Sundays), there is a painting and written reflection. So yesterday, I started Lent by looking at the painting, reading the reflection, and mulling it all over for a while. The intention is, each day of the book, to draw my own personal response to the painting/reflection for that day

Will try and attach pictures of what I did yesterday to this thread I was gonna do a blog of it in the Faith and Spirituality section but I don't want people being rude in it (especially coz I'm not the best drawer in the world)

:jebus:
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
day #2
:woo:
there were some custard creams at the christian group at school today. did not give in :nah:
nice job laura :borat:
Hot cross bun though? :mmm:

woot you can do it! :woohoo:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  20190305_214957-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 3
Size:  59.6 KB

The above is the book

Name:  20190306_233133-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  55.4 KB
Name:  20190306_233137-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  62.8 KB

Day 1 above :moon:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It isn't too late to start
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Oooh only just noticed this thread

Lent is typically my worst period mental health-wise, so I try and find alternative things to do, rather than giving stuff up My spiritual director once told me I should give up my high expectations of myself for Lent :headfire: She's very wise like that :ninja:

This year for Lent, I am following a book called 'The Art of Lent' by the late Sister Wendy Beckett ( :rip: ). Each day of Lent (save for the non-Holy Week Sundays), there is a painting and written reflection. So yesterday, I started Lent by looking at the painting, reading the reflection, and mulling it all over for a while. The intention is, each day of the book, to draw my own personal response to the painting/reflection for that day

Will try and attach pictures of what I did yesterday to this thread I was gonna do a blog of it in the Faith and Spirituality section but I don't want people being rude in it (especially coz I'm not the best drawer in the world)

Woot for TLG! We're all here for you :grouphugs:
No rudeness allowed :noway:
Gimme a tag, this sounds brilliant! I really hope it helps you get through this tough time :penguinhug:
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
nice job laura :borat:
Hot cross bun though? :mmm:
may have had a hot cross bun for lunch :mmm: :shh:
how did you know :ninja:

biscuit ≠ bun so I'm all good
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Woot for TLG! We're all here for you :grouphugs:
No rudeness allowed :noway:
Gimme a tag, this sounds brilliant! I really hope it helps you get through this tough time :penguinhug:
Do you think I should do a blog in there then? I haven't set it up, still thinking about it

Btw, as a sidenote: ricecakes make the Baby Jesus cry :sadnod:

laurawatt : you are amazing. No way you'd ever catch me giving up biscuits for Lent :getmecoat:
Tootles
Report 1 week ago
CheeseIsVeg have you converted? I thought you weren't religious?

I've not given anything up for Lent - and I wouldn't say if I had, because doing so is meaningless if we're going to talk about it (Mt 6:16-18).

Instead I'm taking more time to study and contemplate and pray. Lent is a period for fasting, traditionally, but more importantly for prayer. Fasting removes distractions. That's all.

NB correctly observed Lenten fasting is abstention from meat, dairy, eggs, and/or sexual activity (of any nature). You don't give something up of your choosing; you give up any combination (or all) of those things, as you are able.
laurawatt
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
laurawatt : you are amazing. No way you'd ever catch me giving up biscuits for Lent :getmecoat:
:hugs: as are you! supporting you all the way :heart: :gah:
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
may have had a hot cross bun for lunch :mmm: :shh:
how did you know :ninja:

biscuit ≠ bun so I'm all good
:mmm: cheeky laura!
Well when one is so brave as to give up the biscuits, what's the next best Easter thing that isn't chocolate or ice cream :mmm:

Do you think I should do a blog in there then? I haven't set it up, still thinking about it

Btw, as a sidenote: ricecakes make the Baby Jesus cry :sadnod:

You certainly could! You'd have my full support, not sure about others. Tootles may be interested :ottid:
:jumphug: hey you got this :dumbells:

Oh so sorry about that Baby Jesus :ashamed2: I like my rice cakes :flybye:

(Original post by Tootles)
CheeseIsVeg have you converted? I thought you weren't religious?

I've not given anything up for Lent - and I wouldn't say if I had, because doing so is meaningless if we're going to talk about it (Mt 6:16-18).

Instead I'm taking more time to study and contemplate and pray. Lent is a period for fasting, traditionally, but more importantly for prayer. Fasting removes distractions. That's all.

NB correctly observed Lenten fasting is abstention from meat, dairy, eggs, and/or sexual activity (of any nature). You don't give something up of your choosing; you give up any combination (or all) of those things, as you are able.
I was brought up in a v Christian way, I went to Sunday school etc. so I do have an appreciation for the Church. Wouldn't describe myself as that religious, I no longer pray anymore but have a massive respect for those that can keep up with it all .

Interesting to know of the actual Lenten fasting abstention practice! Not sure how well I could do on that for the period :zomg:

Maybe you could join TLG in making a blog for what you're studying, learning and the prayers you're doing? :dontknow:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads