Marvellous March: Lent Progress Megathread! Watch

Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
I was brought up in a v Christian way, I went to Sunday school etc. so I do have an appreciation for the Church. Wouldn't describe myself as that religious, I no longer pray anymore but have a massive respect for those that can keep up with it all .

Interesting to know of the actual Lenten fasting abstention practice! Not sure how well I could do on that for the period :zomg:

Maybe you could join TLG in making a blog for what you're studying, learning and the prayers you're doing? :dontknow:
Oh OK. I didn't know that, though I have a feeling I should because you and I used to talk quite a lot and touched on some of that.

I say "correctly observed" but that's Orthodox practise I think. I have no idea what Romans do and Anglicans don't seem to have a set thing - our priest proposed "maybe missing a meal a week" in the Ash Wednesday service yesterday morning. I couldn't alter my dietary practices at home because it'd affect everyone else here. Less said about sex the better :iiam:

I'll add that Sundays are feast-days and don't count in a fasting period. You could observe all of the things I mentioned but have a roast, then pudding and custard, then a long do with the S/O and your fast isn't violated.

TLG and I don't get on, she's a staunch Roman and I'm Anglo-Orthodox - basically I see her as a heretic and she sees me as a heretic and a schismatic. We've tried (well, I have and I think she has) to get on, but we always seem to argue.

My studies probably aren't interesting from an outsider's point of view - I'm shoehorning Koiné Greek into my head in the hope of undertaking my own translation of the Septuagint. Experimentally translated a couple of liturgical texts - very satisfying to think I know enough Greek to be able to understand the Creed and the Our Father in the original language after only a month's study, but then there's a helluva lot more to do. Translating ~50 words (Our Father) took me five minutes. The Septuagint is ~580,000 words, and I expect it'll take me about four years.
Last edited by Tootles; 2 weeks ago
Chronoscope
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Day 1 of Giving up Ice Cream for Lent -
- Yesterday decided not to have ice cream with pancakes on pancake day
Was a good decision I think :dontknow:
-So far don't really want ice cream because it is so cold.
-Going well at the moment :borat:

Over to you guys :awesome:
You must eat alot of ice cream!! Whats your favourite flavour?
Not giving anything up for lent this year however i am trying to fix some habits re. healthy eating sooo yeah.

Didn't you give TSR for lent one year? (im sure it was you it could have been someone else on tsr though)
Decahedron
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I completely forgot Lent was a thing :facepalm2:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tootles)
TLG and I don't get on, she's a staunch Roman and I'm Anglo-Orthodox - basically I see her as a heretic and she sees me as a heretic and a schismatic. We've tried (well, I have and I think she has) to get on, but we always seem to argue.
I don't recall ever thinking (let alone calling!) you a heretic :erm: And you must be the first person ever to call me a "staunch Roman"
Tootles
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I don't recall ever thinking (let alone calling!) you a heretic :erm: And you must be the first person ever to call me a "staunch Roman"
Just the impression you've given - I'll cheerfully edit it if I've given offence.

"Roman" is more specific than "Catholic", and I'm not sure people here would understand RCC, OCC/EOC, ECC, AC, and so on - and "Papist" is an historical insult I'm not prepared to use

Edit: I've had some really interesting conversations with some Orthodox, very enlightening. If only Ro... :rolleyes: ... were as good at explaining stuff. You and I are actually on the same page in more ways than I thought.
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
I completely forgot Lent was a thing :facepalm2:
did u give up Lent for Lent ? :giggle:
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just the impression you've given - I'll cheerfully edit it if I've given offence.

"Roman" is more specific than "Catholic", and I'm not sure people here would understand RCC, OCC/EOC, ECC, AC, and so on - and "Papist" is an historical insult I'm not prepared to use

Edit: I've had some really interesting conversations with some Orthodox, very enlightening. If only Ro... :rolleyes: ... were as good at explaining stuff. You and I are actually on the same page in more ways than I thought.
Well I'm honestly very sad and very sorry if that's the impression I've ever given - I would never mean to come across that way :nah: FWIW, I do not consider you a heretic at all! I find you have extremely strong views on things, which makes me uncomfortable sometimes on different levels, but I do not think you are a heretic! :nah: So I do apologise that you thought I thought you are one

I don't mind being called a Roman, I more meant that no one I know of (IRL or on here) considers me to be a staunch Roman Catholic :jebus:
Tootles
Report 2 weeks ago
Well I'm honestly very sad and very sorry if that's the impression I've ever given - I would never mean to come across that way :nah: FWIW, I do not consider you a heretic at all! I find you have extremely strong views on things, which makes me uncomfortable sometimes on different levels, but I do not think you are a heretic! :nah: So I do apologise that you thought I thought you are one

I don't mind being called a Roman, I more meant that no one I know of (IRL or on here) considers me to be a staunch Roman Catholic :jebus:
Never intended to make you uncomfortable, I'm sorry. The issues I have are with the Roman Catholic Church, not you - I suppose you could say the same about me in a lot of ways. I have actually wanted to be friends with you for a lot of time. If you want to message me about any of the things I've made you uncomfortable about, I'd like to put that right. For the record I often come across far more angry than I actually am, because of my formal writing style. IRL I'm just a northern bloke with a lisp who likes hugs and cats. Then again IRL people often think I'm angry because (a) I'm autistic and emotions don't come out very well and (b) my face wasn't made for smiling.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Never intended to make you uncomfortable, I'm sorry. The issues I have are with the Roman Catholic Church, not you - I suppose you could say the same about me in a lot of ways. I have actually wanted to be friends with you for a lot of time. If you want to message me about any of the things I've made you uncomfortable about, I'd like to put that right. For the record I often come across far more angry than I actually am, because of my formal writing style. IRL I'm just a northern bloke with a lisp who likes hugs and cats. Then again IRL people often think I'm angry because (a) I'm autistic and emotions don't come out very well and (b) my face wasn't made for smiling.
I can't seem to rep this for some reason, stupid TSR :grumble: That's reassuring to hear you come across more angry than you often are And I assumed we were TSR friends, since the time we were PMing a fair bit. So I'm sorry if you've felt we're not TSR buddies
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
I'll add that Sundays are feast-days and don't count in a fasting period. You could observe all of the things I mentioned but have a roast, then pudding and custard, then a long do with the S/O and your fast isn't violated.

My studies probably aren't interesting from an outsider's point of view - I'm shoehorning Koiné Greek into my head in the hope of undertaking my own translation of the Septuagint. Experimentally translated a couple of liturgical texts - very satisfying to think I know enough Greek to be able to understand the Creed and the Our Father in the original language after only a month's study, but then there's a helluva lot more to do. Translating ~50 words (Our Father) took me five minutes. The Septuagint is ~580,000 words, and I expect it'll take me about four years.
Shame we don't talk much anymore but life is just so hectic I have an awful group presentation mid-lab session tomorrow :hide:

oh wow. haha! Maybe one day I will get really into the whole thing because my Auntie is super into it, she's also a Chemistry teacher (one of my role models )

oh well I hope that you can both put aside your differences this Lent

but that's still super cool :teeth: You are a very intriguing individual, always up to something exciting!

(Original post by Chronoscope)
You must eat alot of ice cream!! Whats your favourite flavour?
Not giving anything up for lent this year however i am trying to fix some habits re. healthy eating sooo yeah.

Didn't you give TSR for lent one year? (im sure it was you it could have been someone else on tsr though)
omg I don't :ashamed2: oreo flavour
:O wow how is it going? I am also steadily trying to eat more healthily but it's not going too well em

I did! That was me I really didn't do very well at that but :shh:
Tootles
Report 2 weeks ago
Shame we don't talk much anymore but life is just so hectic I have an awful group presentation mid-lab session tomorrow :hide:

oh wow. haha! Maybe one day I will get really into the whole thing because my Auntie is super into it, she's also a Chemistry teacher (one of my role models )

oh well I hope that you can both put aside your differences this Lent

but that's still super cool :teeth: You are a very intriguing individual, always up to something exciting!
I'm always around on Facebook and whatever, I only don't message you now because I know you're probably busy and don't want to disturb you.

I might have overestimated how much she and I aren't getting on. I'm neurotic and have a massive victim complex and default to the assumption that everyone hates me. Working on it. Each day is an achievement.

Hmm wouldn't say I'm "super into it", just trying to take it seriously. I don't want to get preachy or anything.

Intriguing? I'm bored. I do stuff to break up the mundanity. But at least I got onto the ma... course I've been wanting to do. Woooo. That'll keep me busy for a while.

I can't seem to rep this for some reason, stupid TSR :grumble: That's reassuring to hear you come across more angry than you often are And I assumed we were TSR friends, since the time we were PMing a fair bit. So I'm sorry if you've felt we're not TSR buddies
I've been told that's because my rep is invisible. IDK some people can rep me. TSR is broken.

Must have been some while ago we were talking on here, I have a really rubbish memory. I know you but I don't remember speaking in depth other than that I got frustrated because Catholics. I'm happy to say I was wrong - see above. I'm sorry. More than happy to PM again some time if you'd like :hugs:

Edit: fixed some wording.
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
I'm always around on Facebook and whatever, I only don't message you now because I know you're probably busy and don't want to disturb you.

I might have overestimated how much she and I are getting on. I'm neurotic and have a massive victim complex and default to the assumption that everyone hates me. Working on it. Each day is an achievement.

Hmm wouldn't say I'm "super into it", just trying to take it seriously. I don't want to get preachy or anything.

Intriguing? I'm bored. I do stuff to break up the mundanity. But at least I got onto the ma... course I've been wanting to do. Woooo. That'll keep me busy for a while.

I've been told that's because my rep is invisible. IDK some people can rep me. TSR is broken.

Must have been some while ago we were talking on here, I have a really rubbish memory. I know you but I don't remember speaking in depth other than that I got frustrated because Catholics. I'm happy to say I was wrong - see above. I'm sorry. More than happy to PM again some time if you'd like :hugs:
aw :hugs: I admit I am a busy veg but if you're super bored then why not :hugs:

:console: u got this!

You do cool things :bigsmile:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Congrats on getting on the MA course you wanted btw! What's it in?

I have huge memory/cognition issues tbh, so can't pinpoint when it was but we did talk for a few weeks from what I remember. I felt the conversation had naturally petered out and so you were the last one to write and didn't reply - which is possibly why you might have thought I think you're a heretic or something The main thing I remember from it was you being cross with my reasoning for why I could never be Anglican (which was to do with you lacking specific saints that I have an affinity for). But that wasn't in the last PM you sent me - we did keep talking for a bit after that :yes:
Tootles
Report 2 weeks ago
Congrats on getting on the MA course you wanted btw! What's it in?

I have huge memory/cognition issues tbh, so can't pinpoint when it was but we did talk for a few weeks from what I remember. I felt the conversation had naturally petered out and so you were the last one to write and didn't reply - which is possibly why you might have thought I think you're a heretic or something The main thing I remember from it was you being cross with my reasoning for why I could never be Anglican (which was to do with you lacking specific saints that I have an affinity for). But that wasn't in the last PM you sent me - we did keep talking for a bit after that :yes:
Creative writing. I got on just on the strength of having written seven books, three of which were NaNoWriMo wins - they didn't mind that my BSc is crap. After that I'm going to try (again) to get on a teaching course. I'm good with kids/teens and they seem to like me (God knows why). Also considering joining the diaconate if I can get on at some point, as a permanent deacon rather than transitional - I'm fairly well versed in theology, like learning and teaching and discussing, but would make a terrible priest.

Ah OK. Yeah I also have memory issues yey badbrain.

We have saints. That's one of the things that was explained amazingly well by an Orthodox over on Reddit. I remember some saints (St Jude being the one I always seem to go back to) and I wear a St Benedict medal. I just don't pray to them or ask for their intercessions. I also have a beautiful Russian icon of St Michael that I got for a quid in a charity shop - It's ancient, hand-painted on canvas and fixed into a wooden body. Very very old, very very beautiful. I've tried to get pictures but my camera can't do it justice. I also have no issue with relics or anything (I do however have an issue with Benediction). Anyway this probably isn't the place for me to waffle on all that.

aw :hugs: I admit I am a busy veg but if you're super bored then why not :hugs:

:console: u got this!

You do cool things :bigsmile:
In all fairness I'm keeping busy too, mostly to keep the boredom away and partly because I like to try and achieve something every day. Working from 6:30 until midday then doing a few hours of Greek, maybe squeezing in some anime in the evening.

:hugs:
XOR_
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What should I give up though? :holmes:
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by ;82208664)
What should I give up though? :holmes:
pizza :mwuaha:
XOR_
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
pizza :mwuaha:
how about noooo
Last edited by XOR_; 2 weeks ago
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oooh only just noticed this thread

Lent is typically my worst period mental health-wise, so I try and find alternative things to do, rather than giving stuff up My spiritual director once told me I should give up my high expectations of myself for Lent :headfire: She's very wise like that :ninja:

This year for Lent, I am following a book called 'The Art of Lent' by the late Sister Wendy Beckett ( :rip: ). Each day of Lent (save for the non-Holy Week Sundays), there is a painting and written reflection. So yesterday, I started Lent by looking at the painting, reading the reflection, and mulling it all over for a while. The intention is, each day of the book, to draw my own personal response to the painting/reflection for that day

Will try and attach pictures of what I did yesterday to this thread I was gonna do a blog of it in the Faith and Spirituality section but I don't want people being rude in it (especially coz I'm not the best drawer in the world)

:jebus:
If people are rude :banned: if you haven't done one already would be interested in following it :yes:
Am always supportive of a passion for drawing :pierre:
StudentNurseFaye
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not particularly religious, but I have deactivated my Facebook account for lent, so interested to see how you guys get along with your challenges!

So far I haven't found it too difficult, browsing TSR certainly helps..
CheeseIsVeg
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Day 3 -
- Wanted ice cream last night for dessert and whilst I watched Mrs Maisel
However resisted
Instead had angel delight :coma:
Doing fine :borat:

(Original post by ;82211530)
how about noooo
:mmm: one year you'll try it

(Original post by CoolCavy)
If people are rude :banned: if you haven't done one already would be interested in following it :yes:
Am always supportive of a passion for drawing :pierre:
are you giving up anything for lent covsicle? :beard:

(Original post by StudentNurseFaye)
I'm not particularly religious, but I have deactivated my Facebook account for lent, so interested to see how you guys get along with your challenges!

So far I haven't found it too difficult, browsing TSR certainly helps..
wow v bold! I couldn't deactivate fb :emo: it's the only way I get my coursemates to participate in group projects :laugh:

let us know how you get on! Here for you :party:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How old were you when you first saw porn?

I've never seen it (23)
17.16%
Before I was 12 (50)
37.31%
13 (26)
19.4%
14 (16)
11.94%
15 (10)
7.46%
16 (4)
2.99%