How Painful Are Surgeries

Watch
esrever
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How painful are surgeries like appendix removal etc. Is the anesthesia really effective? Also does it pain a lot after the surgery?
arigziegler
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Appendix doesn't hurt at all, it's all done laparoscopically now so the recovery time is short and not painful (or at least it wasn't for me).
I got surgery on my skull though, the recovery was more painful but the surgery itself didn't hurt because I was under general anaesthesia.
Last edited by arigziegler; 1 year ago
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on the surgery. I had some minor surgery on my toe. They only did a local anaesthetic. The anaesthetic injection was painful but not unbearable. After that there wasn't any pain but still some very uncomfortable sensations.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esrever)
How painful are surgeries like appendix removal etc. Is the anesthesia really effective? Also does it pain a lot after the surgery?
The surgery part is painless. The recovery is often quite uncomfortable and sometimes a bit of pain from where they entered through. But it can vary a lot depending on what procedure was done and how well.. You should be given plenty of pain relief throughout the process should you need it
esrever
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
The surgery part is painless. The recovery is often quite uncomfortable and sometimes a bit of pain from where they entered through. But it can vary a lot depending on what procedure was done and how well.. You should be given plenty of pain relief throughout the process should you need it
That's comforting to hear
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's comforting to hear
It's natural to be unsure and worry but remind yourself about how many operations happen everyday and how routine they are these days :yep: You'll be fine :hugs:
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Obviously it depends on the surgery, but especially with more minor/ routine ones (tonsilectomy, apendix etc) it isn't as scary or dramatic as you might think.
I've had two surgeries now and both were fine. Even with the second where I had some complications after (I had a hemmorage after a tonsilectomy so was bleeding a lot and had to have an emergency hospital admittion) it was handled well and all sorted out. Online you will often hear bad experiences cos those are the people who have something to talk about and want to vent. People who do totally fine don't really need to talk about it so you won't often see that and it can give a kinda scary impression.
You will be totally out for the surgery, no pain, no smell, no noise, nothing (some surgeries and procedures are done with you just sedated and still awake, but not apendix stuff and with those you shouldn't feel any pain either). Once they've knocked you out they keep on making sure you don't wake up until they are done. Once you wake up you might have pain or nausea and other things, but they will give you painkillers (and you can tell them if you are still in pain) and can give you stuff to help with nausea so it should be managable. It does suck, but it usually isn't anything too bad and can be gotten through with some sulking in bed and binge watching tv.

If you have any questions or would like a bit of a run through of what happens I'd be happy to give my experiences. I've had a tonsilectomy and a laparoscopy (which I believe is how apendix removal is done).
esrever
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kindred)
Obviously it depends on the surgery, but especially with more minor/ routine ones (tonsilectomy, apendix etc) it isn't as scary or dramatic as you might think.
I've had two surgeries now and both were fine. Even with the second where I had some complications after (I had a hemmorage after a tonsilectomy so was bleeding a lot and had to have an emergency hospital admittion) it was handled well and all sorted out. Online you will often hear bad experiences cos those are the people who have something to talk about and want to vent. People who do totally fine don't really need to talk about it so you won't often see that and it can give a kinda scary impression.
You will be totally out for the surgery, no pain, no smell, no noise, nothing (some surgeries and procedures are done with you just sedated and still awake, but not apendix stuff and with those you shouldn't feel any pain either). Once they've knocked you out they keep on making sure you don't wake up until they are done. Once you wake up you might have pain or nausea and other things, but they will give you painkillers (and you can tell them if you are still in pain) and can give you stuff to help with nausea so it should be managable. It does suck, but it usually isn't anything too bad and can be gotten through with some sulking in bed and binge watching tv.

If you have any questions or would like a bit of a run through of what happens I'd be happy to give my experiences. I've had a tonsilectomy and a laparoscopy (which I believe is how apendix removal is done).
I've read some experiences online of people waking up in the middle of a surgery :eek:. Thank you so much for clarifying.

Haemorrhage sounds really scary . I hope you are doing well now .
Kindred
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've read some experiences online of people waking up in the middle of a surgery :eek:. Thank you so much for clarifying.

Haemorrhage sounds really scary . I hope you are doing well now .
That's super duper rare. If it did happen they would put you back under right away, but again it's crazy unlikely.
I was pretty scary, but I was and am fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.13%
I don't have everything I need (254)
43.87%

Watched Threads