Fimum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is it fair to be excluded from "Cambridge Adjustments 2019" simply because you're from a good school and postcode, these motives don't take into account of the years of hard graft some students make to achieve good grades. Surely it should be on ability, final results and the capability to succeed?
Last edited by Fimum; 1 year ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fimum)
Is it fair to be excluded from "Cambridge Adjustments 2019" simply because you're from a good school and postcode, these continual politically correct motives don't take into account of the years of hard graft some students make to achieve good grades. Surely it should be on ability, results and the capability to succeed?
Life isn't fair.

Is it fair that some people are fortunate enough to go to good schools in nice catchment areas and other people are not so lucky?
politicsandtea
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
to an extent, i kinda agree. I would have been elgible for the scheme a year ago, when I lived in my old house. I have recently moved, however, and despite not having a better financial situation are now not eligible. Then again no system will be perfect and many kids who didn't go to the good schools that you talk about simply didn't get the same level of prep for interview, personal statement etc and thus the system is unfair either way. It's just trying to address an imbalance and I get the feeling it's still going to be VERY competitve with only the kids who marginally missed out on a place last time getting in (e.g they were pooled and rejected)
D7E
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Shut up. Get off your high horse. ItS NoT FaIr ThEy OnLy WaNt DePrIvEd KiDs To HaVe a ChAnCe At GeTtInG In.
Like they say on their site, it's for improving diversity. I'm sorry if you're one of those people NOT DEPRIVED, that makes you the norm there. Besides if your not deprived you should have been able to get your offer if you met the standard, first time around :thonk:

You still think it's unfair? Go to Cambridge and walk around for a while, you'll see exactly why they need more diversity.
politicsandtea
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by D7E)
Shut up. Get off your high horse. ItS NoT FaIr ThEy OnLy WaNt DePrIvEd KiDs To HaVe a ChAnCe At GeTtInG In.
Like they say on their site, it's for improving diversity. I'm sorry if you're one of those people NOT DEPRIVED, that makes you the norm there. Besides if your not deprived you should have been able to get your offer if you met the standard, first time around :thonk:

You still think it's unfair? Go to Cambridge and walk around for a while, you'll see exactly why they need more diversity.
^^^^^ totally agree, it's about leveling the playing field. Even if you don't see the privelage you have, you'd understand pretty quick if you went to a worse school
Fimum
Rep:
?
No life isn't fair...but it should be. The individual I'm referring to went to 4 state schools and achieved spectacular gcse grades to win a scholarship to a private school to be rejected because they now don't fit "a tick box criteria" Good job Stephen Hawkins didn't suffer this kind of discrimination back in the day!
(Original post by harrysbar)
Life isn't fair.

Is it fair that some people are fortunate enough to go to good schools in nice catchment areas and other people are not so lucky?
ewarner2000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it's definitely fair to do as schools in less privileged areas (like mine!) try to help as much as possible but really it's nothing in comparison to a lot of other more affluent schools. however, to me what's quite comical are the articles I've read on it this morning viewing that those that didn't get in after interviews (again, like me!) are taking a gap year to reapply?! I mean sure that's what some people will do guaranteed but a majority will likely move on with their lives and go to other good unis? it was just comical they made it out to be all or nothing😂😂
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fimum)
No life isn't fair...but it should be. The individual I'm referring to went to 4 state schools and achieved spectacular gcse grades to win a scholarship to a private school to be rejected because they now don't fit "a tick box criteria" Good job Stephen Hawkins didn't suffer this kind of discrimination back in the day!
No system can ever be 100% fair to every single person but your friend has beneffited from going to a private school for sixth form. They obviously deserved their scholarship but it did give them access to a better school and Cambridge is trying to help applicants who achieved amazing A levels against the odds. I'm not saying the criteria they used is necessarily fair, but I'm not sure any system would be perfect
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fimum)
He was originally rejected because Cambridge thought he wasn't good enough.
Reape
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
He was originally rejected because Cambridge thought he wasn't good enough.
Source? Doesn't sound true.

(Original post by Fimum)
Is it fair to be excluded from "Cambridge Adjustments 2019" simply because you're from a good school and postcode, these continual politically correct motives don't take into account of the years of hard graft some students make to achieve good grades. Surely it should be on ability, results and the capability to succeed?
The university is trying to adjust for unfair advantage. It doesn't speak to motivation and ability to judge two people that had different opportunities. You can't really be sure what one person with less opportunities would be able to do given the opportunities available at Cambridge, for example.
weliveinasociety
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No it isn't fair that some go to better schools than others but that is irrelevant. It is still unfair to make an application easier to some people than others.You cannot make things fairer or create equality of opportunity by creating more inequality.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fimum)
Your brother was assessed on his ability, results and capability to succeed alongside everyone else in December and didn't quite make the cut.

Having very good grades and predictions isn't sufficient. They need to do well holistically including, in your brother's case, the Law Test and interviews, etc.

(Original post by Fimum)
If your brother was rejected then they weren't quite good enough. Or they were unlucky. These courses are heavily oversubscribed and not all good candidates will get an offer. Going to a state school doesn't guarantee an offer or place either, and neither does meeting the (much tougher) widening participation criteria being used in this new Adjustment trial.

What does Hawking have to do with it? By the way he did his undergrad at Oxford, not Cambridge...

Also, does your brother know you are posting about him? What's his view?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Last edited by Doones; 1 year ago
Fimum
Rep:
?
weliveinasociety, Well said!
(Original post by weliveinasociety)
No it isn't fair that some go to better schools than others but that is irrelevant. It is still unfair to make an application easier to some people than others.You cannot make things fairer or create equality of opportunity by creating more inequality.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by weliveinasociety)
Name:  1*ky_MH29gEoIUuYncPslTXQ.png
Views: 202
Size:  76.7 KB
:beard:
blackugo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fimum)
No life isn't fair...but it should be. The individual I'm referring to went to 4 state schools and achieved spectacular gcse grades to win a scholarship to a private school to be rejected because they now don't fit "a tick box criteria" Good job Stephen Hawkins didn't suffer this kind of discrimination back in the day
This sounds like serious salt
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (54)
25.59%
Less motivated (157)
74.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed