Cheetah.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, well I need help deciding between the University of Huddersfield & the University of Salford.

I have applied for Accounting & Finance and live in Manchester. Looking at both universities overall, what would you choose?

Ranking, accreditation, university life, travel time, etc.
Cheetah.
Rep:
?
University of Salford & University of Huddersfield could you list a few pros and cons. Thanks!
University of Huddersfield
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Cheetah.)
Hi, well I need help deciding between the University of Huddersfield & the University of Salford.

I have applied for Accounting & Finance and live in Manchester. Looking at both universities overall, what would you choose?

University of Salford & University of Huddersfield could you list a few pros and cons. Thanks!
Hello Cheetah

Congratulations on getting in to both universities!

Are you planning to live in Manchester and commuting every day or would you like to move out to Huddersfield or Salford?
Huddersfield is very easy to get to by train, with the station just a short walk away from the university. It’s also very accessible by car too, so traveling from Manchester is very achievable.

You mentioned you wanted to know about accreditation: the University of Huddersfield is a gold-rated university in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). The University is number one in England for the proportion of staff with teaching qualifications (HESA 2018).
We also give 100% of our students the opportunity to undertake professional work experience during their degree.

We have some blogs written by our students on our website, about their courses, Huddersfield in general and about university life. So if you’re interested in more information about us from a student’s perspective, I’ll link those here: http://hud.ac/e72

But honestly, the best thing I ever did when considering universities was to actually go and visit them. It’s the best way to get a feel for the university, explore the campus and surrounding areas, and also meet current students and ask lots of questions. I would definitely recommend seeing both universities to help you make your decision.

I can help you arrange a campus tour, or get booked in for an Open Day, or if you generally just have any more questions, please feel free to reach out to me on here or email us at [email protected]

Speak soon,
Harriette
Cheetah.
Rep:
?
Thank you for getting back to me.

I visited both universities already and am having a tough time choosing. I am planning to live and commute between Manchester and Huddersfield everyday, the only thing is that the door to door journey will be around 2 hours.

During my open day at UoH there was one thing that was not very clear. I wanted to know if most of the Accounting & Finance lectures will be in a lecture hall or in a class room environment, I would appreciate if you are able to find that out for me.

Thanks!

(Original post by University of Huddersfield)
Hello Cheetah

Congratulations on getting in to both universities!

Are you planning to live in Manchester and commuting every day or would you like to move out to Huddersfield or Salford?
Huddersfield is very easy to get to by train, with the station just a short walk away from the university. It’s also very accessible by car too, so traveling from Manchester is very achievable.

You mentioned you wanted to know about accreditation: the University of Huddersfield is a gold-rated university in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). The University is number one in England for the proportion of staff with teaching qualifications (HESA 2018).
We also give 100% of our students the opportunity to undertake professional work experience during their degree.

We have some blogs written by our students on our website, about their courses, Huddersfield in general and about university life. So if you’re interested in more information about us from a student’s perspective, I’ll link those here: http://hud.ac/e72

But honestly, the best thing I ever did when considering universities was to actually go and visit them. It’s the best way to get a feel for the university, explore the campus and surrounding areas, and also meet current students and ask lots of questions. I would definitely recommend seeing both universities to help you make your decision.

I can help you arrange a campus tour, or get booked in for an Open Day, or if you generally just have any more questions, please feel free to reach out to me on here or email us at [email protected]

Speak soon,
Harriette
University of Salford
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Cheetah. Firstly congratulations on your offers and thank you for your interest in the University of Salford.

I thought I would be best to answer this question for you as I am currently a second year student myself! Studying at Salford has been so much fun for me so far. I find that the tutors are great and so helpful, they really make you feel like no question is a silly one. They are ready to support you if you are feeling confused or stressed with assignments.

We have an active blog called ‘Made in Salford’ which is written by numerous students across the university I believe it’s a great help you when it comes to deciding on which university you’d like to attend. I actually wrote a blog post on there about why I chose Salford so if you are interested in reading that I shall leave the link just here: https://goo.gl/Eqi3Gw. There are also interviews with students studying your course, as well as an "Out and About" section with info on the social aspects of life in Salford and Manchester.

You also might find it useful to know that our Peel Park Quarter accommodation has been ranked in the top 3 accommodation in the UK, I stayed there in my first year and I loved it. It’s modern, homely and most of all COSY!

I hope this helps and if you need any more information then please do not hesitate to get in touch. Thanks - Oliver.

Last edited by University of Salford; 1 year ago
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for getting back to me.

I visited both universities already and am having a tough time choosing. I am planning to live and commute between Manchester and Huddersfield everyday, the only thing is that the door to door journey will be around 2 hours.

During my open day at UoH there was one thing that was not very clear. I wanted to know if most of the Accounting & Finance lectures will be in a lecture hall or in a class room environment, I would appreciate if you are able to find that out for me.

Thanks!
Hi Cheetah

No worries, feel free to ask anything!

I've spoken to the Admissions Department in the Business School, and they've informed me that in your first year around 75% of your classes will be in a lecture hall, with the other 25% being held in a seminar-style room. In your second and final years the classes become smaller and so more and more will be held in a seminar-style room. The reason for this is that in your first year there are more core modules, and less module options, whereas as you progress with your degree you can pick more options, making your degree more personal for you.
I hope this helps!

Anything else I can help with?

Thanks,
Harriette
Cheetah.
Rep:
?
University of Huddersfield University of Huddersfield Student Rep

I was looking at yearly and monthly train tickets between Manchester & Huddersfield and they are really expensive. A yearly train ticket between Manchester & Huddersfield is costing around £2,300 and this excludes buses in Manchester.

Do you know any students that travel between Manchester & Huddersfield for their lectures daily, and if so could you ask them to advice me on their transport method and the costs involved. If there are any cheaper yearly bus (in Manchester) and train tickets for students.

Thank you.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Huddersfield University of Huddersfield Student Rep

I was looking at yearly and monthly train tickets between Manchester & Huddersfield and they are really expensive. A yearly train ticket between Manchester & Huddersfield is costing around £2,300 and this excludes buses in Manchester.

Do you know any students that travel between Manchester & Huddersfield for their lectures daily, and if so could you ask them to advice me on their transport method and the costs involved. If there are any cheaper yearly bus (in Manchester) and train tickets for students.

Thank you.
Hi Cheetah.

I'll ask around to see if there are any students I can speak to and see what their situations are.

Have you looked into getting a 16-25 railcard at all? This should reduce the costs of getting from Manchester to Huddersfield.
Their website is: https://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/ if you'd like to have a look.

Speak soon,
Harriette
University of Salford
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Cheetah.,

One more thing that you might find helpful - we are hosting a chat for applicants to our Accounting and Finance course in our 2019 applicant Facebook group at 5pm tonight. Our Senior Lecturer in Accounting, Kathy Maguire, will be on hand to answer any questions you have about your course so if you'd like to take part then you can request to join our Facebook group here: www.facebook.com/groups/salfordstudents2019.

Thanks - Catherine

Cheetah.
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Salford)
Hi Cheetah.,

One more thing that you might find helpful - we are hostHing a chat for applicants to our Accounting and Finance course in our 2019 applicant Facebook group at 5pm tonight. Our Senior Lecturer in Accounting, Kathy Maguire, will be on hand to answer any questions you have about your course so if you'd like to take part then you can request to join our Facebook group here: www.facebook.com/groups/salfordstudents2019.

Thanks - Catherine
Hi, I spoke to Kathy during the open day and she was very helpful in helping me decide. I ended up picking UoS as my firm choice. Looking forward to join in September!
University of Salford
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's great to hear Cheetah.! We look forward to you joining us. Just let us know if we can help with anything else - we're salforduni on Twitter, Facebook and Insta.
Hi, I spoke to Kathy during the open day and she was very helpful in helping me decide. I ended up picking UoS as my firm choice. Looking forward to join in September!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.19%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.33%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.55%
Loneliness (82)
10.62%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.48%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed