Training contract accepted, want to now decline? Watch

Sloan17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Okay, this is a bit of a strange one-
I got offered a TC back in the summer and accepted - signed contracts, they've registered it with the SRA. The TC isn't due to start until September - however, due to personal issues (i.e. issues that mean I am no longer moving to the place the TC is) I cannot take this TC up anymore, the firm is over an hour away driving so a little unrealistic to be able to commute and no buses/trains head that way.

I have got an interview with another Law firm that is actually based in the city i am in now, however, I am wondering what the process is:
1. Can I decline the TC now i've accepted/ signed contracts/ registered w/ SRA
2. If I were to get this TC, would it look bad that I've done so/ would I have to tell them?

I know this is bad practice, however, this really wasn't anticipated and I do really want this new TC (if I were to get it) - so I am unsure what to do now?

The contract doesn't stipulate notice nor does it say I can't terminate the TC.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sloan17)
Okay, this is a bit of a strange one-
I got offered a TC back in the summer and accepted - signed contracts, they've registered it with the SRA. The TC isn't due to start until September - however, due to personal issues (i.e. issues that mean I am no longer moving to the place the TC is) I cannot take this TC up anymore, the firm is over an hour away driving so a little unrealistic to be able to commute and no buses/trains head that way.

I have got an interview with another Law firm that is actually based in the city i am in now, however, I am wondering what the process is:
1. Can I decline the TC now i've accepted/ signed contracts/ registered w/ SRA
2. If I were to get this TC, would it look bad that I've done so/ would I have to tell them?

I know this is bad practice, however, this really wasn't anticipated and I do really want this new TC (if I were to get it) - so I am unsure what to do now?

The contract doesn't stipulate notice nor does it say I can't terminate the TC.
Have you contacted the company who gave you the training contract?
Sloan17
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am going to later today - felt like I needed some advice on what best to say i.e. going into detail about why I am withdrawing or just leaving it simple
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
Have you contacted the company who gave you the training contract?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (129)
17.94%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.15%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (124)
17.25%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (104)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (219)
30.46%

Watched Threads