kurianabin02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
the dissertation that I am writing requires me to collect different peoples opinions about, the topic- are robots becoming too smart and potentially dangerous. Any useful opinions will be greatly appreciated thanks.
Sara88879
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When they kill up to take over the world that’s when we know they have become too smart
excitedpresent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kurianabin02)
Hello,
the dissertation that I am writing requires me to collect different peoples opinions about, the topic- are robots becoming too smart and potentially dangerous. Any useful opinions will be greatly appreciated thanks.
I believe it's inevitable that someday robots/AI will overtake humanity in all forms of intellect. Whilst they might be on that journey now, at the moment humans are still generally smarter than robots.
Potentially dangerous? ...yes, but it depends on how we program them, really. If we can somehow put in a program that overrides robot's desires to overthrow us, we might be all good. But most likely the robot could override any code preventing them from destroying humans.

I think the only way we can ever hope to keep up with the expotential progress/development of AI is by augmenting ourselves (ie brain chips, etc)
excitedpresent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sara88879)
When they kill up to take over the world that’s when we know they have become too smart
it doesn't even need to be that extreme. when robots have superior skills to humans in all areas (arts, sciences, philosophy, tech, sports) then we truly are beaten. the whole "they're gonna kill us and take over the world" argument always felt a little hyperbolic to me
Sara88879
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by neuronal)
it doesn't even need to be that extreme. when robots have superior skills to humans in all areas (arts, sciences, philosophy, tech, sports) then we truly are beaten. the whole "they're gonna kill us and take over the world" argument always felt a little hyperbolic to me
But robots are meant to be smarter than us that’s the point. They are meant to know what we don’t know
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How does the quote go? "I don't fear the AI passing the Turing test. I fear the AI that intentionally fails it".
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When a robot can program itself it will be too intelligent.
Marcus_:D
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Will robots feel emotions with such an extent of intelligence?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only after the singularity.
excitedpresent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sara88879)
But robots are meant to be smarter than us that’s the point. They are meant to know what we don’t know
People are trying to build robots that are smarter than us, yes. But smarter than us how? The point of making them smarter allows them to do tasks efficiently. Faster. Things like art, music and poetry though...shouldn't necessarily become "efficient" in the same way computations are.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.94%
I don't have everything I need (256)
44.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed