The Student Room Group

Can I get into medicine with A LEVEL BIOLOGY but not A LEVEL CHEMISTRY?

Can I get into medicine with A LEVEL BIOLOGY but not A LEVEL CHEMISTRY? I want to take for my A LEVELS: Biology, PE, Business, Maths. Do you think I can still get into any medicine things with no Chemistry for A levels? For GCSE's I currently do Triple science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Maths, English, PE, Business, Arabic, French.
Yes it’s possible. Entry requirements are usually chemistry OR biology.
You should check with the university you want to apply.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes but unlikely due to competition.
Thanks yah same, as far as I know, I still need chemistry... but I was mainly thinking about Physiotherapy which I don't need chemistry for... but if I take chemistry and biology instead of bio and PE... I will have a greater options choice int he future as I could change my mind and moment.
Original post by alevelstudentz
You should check with the university you want to apply.
THANKS! I keep on checking for universities and all I checked for, they only wanted bio and 2 other A levels. But I hear everyone in my school saying we have to take chemistry for any medicine... I don't think that's the case for all universities.

Original post by sammyj97
Yes it’s possible. Entry requirements are usually chemistry OR biology.
Original post by Nourhan Wael
Can I get into medicine with A LEVEL BIOLOGY but not A LEVEL CHEMISTRY? I want to take for my A LEVELS: Biology, PE, Business, Maths. Do you think I can still get into any medicine things with no Chemistry for A levels? For GCSE's I currently do Triple science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics), Maths, English, PE, Business, Arabic, French.

To maximise your chances of getting in for Medicine, you really should do both Biology and Chemistry. After that it doesn't really matter what subjects you take.
Ok, thanks!
Original post by quick-use
to maximise your chances of getting in for medicine, you really should do both biology and chemistry. After that it doesn't really matter what subjects you take.

Yes you can, but you will be limited to about 5-6 medical schools to choose from. See

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/choosing-a-medical-school/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-be-a-doctor/

Yes it’s possible but you will be limited to a few universities that do not require chemistry and you might have to have excellent UKCAT results to compensate for not having chemistry.
Have you thought of maybe delaying your application to med school and taking A level chemistry?
What are UKCAT?
Original post by Ambitious1999
Yes it’s possible but you will be limited to a few universities that do not require chemistry and you might have to have excellent UKCAT results to compensate for not having chemistry.
Have you thought of maybe delaying your application to med school and taking A level chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest