Diss on Digitisation of The Self - advice needed

Watch
procrastinator00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing my dissertation surrounding the topic of digitisation of the self... I want to delve into social media and ethics of data collection but I'm missing something. I just need some advice on what else to cover/ what questions I can raise
Revolver72
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by procrastinator00)
I'm doing my dissertation surrounding the topic of digitisation of the self... I want to delve into social media and ethics of data collection but I'm missing something. I just need some advice on what else to cover/ what questions I can raise
You're asking for us to tell you 'what else to cover' without taking us through the topics which you have covered.

Digitisation of the Self seems quite broad for a dissertation subject, so it'd be useful to know exactly what you're looking to get out of the dissertation.
  1. What's the motivation?
  2. What do you plan to discover from your research?
  3. Are you taking a stance on the subject matter, or do you wish to conclude impartially?

I reckon some things to look at, if you haven't already:

• Social Media
  • GDPR
  • DeSeat.Me
  • The Societal shift to smartphones/connected devices
  • The Influence on Society of Personal Data availability
  • What risks personal data poses.

It goes way beyond the above, and what I have l listed is still very vague, but I'd need a little more info on what you plan to achieve with the diss, and I'm sure others will be happy to help out :-)
procrastinator00
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for your reply.

I guess my motivation is I'm interested in how Social Media specifically has encouraged the digitisation of our identities - the use of Instagram, facebook, twitter, snapchat to keep us connected to a virtual space - but I'm not sure what my motivation is at this point. I've done a lot of research into Presentation of the Self, Data collection (ad targeting etc), and control of data, and Posthumanism. I just feel like what I've written so far isn't really dissertation worthy, and I guess that's because I don't have a focus/ I'm not sure what I'm trying to discover.
(Original post by Revolver72)
You're asking for us to tell you 'what else to cover' without taking us through the topics which you have covered.

Digitisation of the Self seems quite broad for a dissertation subject, so it'd be useful to know exactly what you're looking to get out of the dissertation.
  1. What's the motivation?
  2. What do you plan to discover from your research?
  3. Are you taking a stance on the subject matter, or do you wish to conclude impartially?

I reckon some things to look at, if you haven't already:

• Social Media
  • GDPR
  • DeSeat.Me
  • The Societal shift to smartphones/connected devices
  • The Influence on Society of Personal Data availability
  • What risks personal data poses.

It goes way beyond the above, and what I have l listed is still very vague, but I'd need a little more info on what you plan to achieve with the diss, and I'm sure others will be happy to help out :-)
Last edited by procrastinator00; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.77%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
13.21%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
15.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
11.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (21)
39.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
16.98%

Watched Threads