The Student Room Group

OPITO Apprenticeship - Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Alright guys. From the information I have got this year the 4 locations are aberdeen, Falkirk, middlesbourgh and edinburgh. For the first. Year at college we will receive a monthly allowance of £400 and the payment will increase for the rest of the training aprox 9 months. After we start our placement we get £16500 for first year and around £20000 for second year. Anyone know what this rises to after placement?

Im 19 btw and have just nearly finished a HNC in mechanical engineering. I have put process as my first choice though.

Applied last year but I was unsuccessful at the interview stage. Hopefully it all goes well this year.

Am I the oldest person here at 19? Lol
Haha certainly arent the oldest, there are people of all ages on this scheme :P

There was a guy who looked at least 25 at my aptitude testing so no worries there :L
Reply 1142
I'm 28 and there are older than me going for it!
Reply 1143
Nice. Anyones second time applying ? :smile:
Reply 1144
First time. Going by the Celtic emblem are you from the Glasgow area?
Reply 1145
haha from the north of scotland
Original post by xperty
Alright guys. From the information I have got this year the 4 locations are aberdeen, Falkirk, middlesbourgh and edinburgh. For the first. Year at college we will receive a monthly allowance of £400 and the payment will increase for the rest of the training aprox 9 months. After we start our placement we get £16500 for first year and around £20000 for second year. Anyone know what this rises to after placement?

Im 19 btw and have just nearly finished a HNC in mechanical engineering. I have put process as my first choice though.

Applied last year but I was unsuccessful at the interview stage. Hopefully it all goes well this year.

Am I the oldest person here at 19? Lol

Thanks for the info buddy its appreciated..

What you said about the colleges... Yeah that seems right - but as I said, Falkirk is trying to get a few of the different options (electrical & instument) there if possible.. But yeah - its not certain my friend said

As for your 1st question about what pay rises to after placement.. it totally depends on what one you go for I think, though from looking at worldwide averages salaries for the choices, you're looking at around 30-40k and to be optimistic nearer 40k :smile:

And no, you're not the oldest ... seen much older people at the testing I was at.

Dean
Reply 1147
Original post by xperty
Nice. Anyones second time applying ? :smile:

This is my 3rd year applying and i'm 21 this year.
Original post by Dean_Reid
Thanks for the info buddy its appreciated..

What you said about the colleges... Yeah that seems right - but as I said, Falkirk is trying to get a few of the different options (electrical & instument) there if possible.. But yeah - its not certain my friend said

As for your 1st question about what pay rises to after placement.. it totally depends on what one you go for I think, though from looking at worldwide averages salaries for the choices, you're looking at around 30-40k and to be optimistic nearer 40k :smile:

And no, you're not the oldest ... seen much older people at the testing I was at.

Dean

yeah dean is about right with the salary after the apprenticeship, although it depends on the job you get afterwards - Onshore will be slightly less than Offshore for example.
Original post by JAYP91

My 2nd year also and I'm 17
What's ur first choice?

Original post by Jackerius
yeah dean is about right with the salary after the apprenticeship, although it depends on the job you get afterwards - Onshore will be slightly less than Offshore for example.

Yeah ur correct :biggrin: it seems to usually be about 2.5k less per year

Ado I forgot to mention that if you go abroad to work once fully qualified, you can see your wages easily being 5x higher in places like Saudi where they are crying out for fully qualified workers on theit oil things ...I guess its just cause its danger Money :smile:

Dean
My 2nd year also and I'm 17
What's ur first choice?

Yeah ur correct :biggrin: it seems to usually be about 2.5k less per year

Ado I forgot to mention that if you go abroad to work once fully qualified, you can see your wages easily being 5x higher in places like Saudi where they are crying out for fully qualified workers on theit oil things ...I guess its just cause its danger Money :smile:

Dean

I used to live in Saudi, my dad worked there :P It aint so bad but yeah, you are right, if you are willing to work abroad the money is more, although not quite 5x :L
Original post by Jackerius
I used to live in Saudi, my dad worked there :P It aint so bad but yeah, you are right, if you are willing to work abroad the money is more, although not quite 5x :L

i derped.

I meant 3x, hahahah!

And wow really nice! Did ur dad work in the oil industry? :wink:

Dean
Reply 1152

Original post by JAYP91

Any specific reason u failed twice? Was it at the aptitude testing?

U got a HNC or anything?

This is my second time and I'm 19
i derped.

I meant 3x, hahahah!

And wow really nice! Did ur dad work in the oil industry? :wink:

Dean

Yeah my dad is a senior instruments engineer - he works in Kazakhstan on an island, month on, month off. Its great because he gives me tips and info that i would have found hard to find on the web!
Reply 1154
when fully qualified in the north sea depending who your with is about 50k. my brother is finished his apprenticeship ands getting 54k hes procces technician and he says starting rate for the likes of BP is 59k for fully qulified . its totaly insane!
Reply 1155
Original post by matt0091
when fully qualified in the north sea depending who your with is about 50k. my brother is finished his apprenticeship ands getting 54k hes procces technician and he says starting rate for the likes of BP is 59k for fully qulified . its totaly insane!

You for real? :biggrin:
Reply 1156
My mate passed as an instrument tech and went straight onto £54k.
Reply 1157
a friend of mine became fully qualified in 2006 through opito and jumped straight onto 40k. petrofac run the douglas complex in the irish sea for BHP petroleum. it very much depends on who u work for and where. he left in 2010 on 70k though!
Reply 1158
and by becoming a C & I coach in azerbaijan he doubled his income. bp pay the highest salaries
Original post by char84
and by becoming a C & I coach in azerbaijan he doubled his income. bp pay the highest salaries

C & I?

Im guessing thats Instrument & Control..?

Really nice though, thats an amazing difference... as well as his wages rising so much in the 4 years :O

Dean

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending