Latin OCR GCSE help Watch

Gopnik
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I’m really struggling with the language part of the course: never getting more than a 6 in any paper. So could someone share some tips on how to improve language (nouns, VOCAB, adverbs, sentence constructions etc...)?

Much appreciated
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Stratx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gopnik)
So I’m really struggling with the language part of the course: never getting more than a 6 in any paper. So could someone share some tips on how to improve language (nouns, VOCAB, adverbs, sentence constructions etc...)?

Much appreciated
Sorry I did the same course 2 years ago so may have some inaccuracies. But language is just the translation right? Reading and answering a text? Latin is made so much more simpler when you know vocab. If you learn all the vocab then you can still get a rough idea of what the sentence is attempting to mean. Practising translations rather than attempting to learn word endings is much more efficient. You'll quickly pick up on word order and understand where you went wrong by looking at examiners reports and mark schemes. Keep practicing and you'll soon see progress. Good luck!
Gopnik
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stratx)
Sorry I did the same course 2 years ago so may have some inaccuracies. But language is just the translation right? Reading and answering a text? Latin is made so much more simpler when you know vocab. If you learn all the vocab then you can still get a rough idea of what the sentence is attempting to mean. Practising translations rather than attempting to learn word endings is much more efficient. You'll quickly pick up on word order and understand where you went wrong by looking at examiners reports and mark schemes. Keep practicing and you'll soon see progress. Good luck!
Thank you, vocab is my biggest problem so I’ll really need to fortify that by May.
Stratx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gopnik)
Thank you, vocab is my biggest problem so I’ll really need to fortify that by May.
does your school have access to any vocab websites or stuff. I remember our school used vocab express and i just went through and did just 10 mins every night doing like 4 things until i was confident on everything.
All the vocab that won't be given to you in an exam
I have linked the latin word list above for OCR 9-1. Get a parent or whoever to test you on random words every other night or so, even if its just 10 mins. You'll soon quickly learn it
Gopnik
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stratx)
does your school have access to any vocab websites or stuff. I remember our school used vocab express and i just went through and did just 10 mins every night doing like 4 things until i was confident on everything.
All the vocab that won't be given to you in an exam
I have linked the latin word list above for OCR 9-1. Get a parent or whoever to test you on random words every other night or so, even if its just 10 mins. You'll soon quickly learn it
Yeah I’ve got the vocab list but it’s mainly just that nothing is going in. I’ll check out the vocab website as well. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads