Does A level French count as an essay based subject?

Watch
lealivvy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I study French at A level and we write two essays for the exam, but there are also other components. Does this make it an essay based subject, and therefore, would Oxford university classify it as one? Also, does EPQ count as an essay based subject?

I want to study history of art at Oxford and it requires an essay based subject, just wondering if French would count.
idk01
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What size are the essay-based questions? i.e. how many marks are available for them. Also, EPQ is very essay based but it doesn't count as a 'subject' in the sense of it being an A-level. For degrees requiring essay writing skills, it'll certainly be favourable but wont count as an essay based subject.
lealivvy
Rep:
?
In the whole writing paper there are 80 marks available in total for 2 questions. Each are 300 words. In order to apply to Oxford you also need to submit a marked 2000 word essay, I'm guessing 300 words in French isn't sufficient? (but maybe part of my EPQ is...?)

Thanks so much for your help
(Original post by Fhutton17)
What size are the essay-based questions? i.e. how many marks are available for them. Also, EPQ is very essay based but it doesn't count as a 'subject' in the sense of it being an A-level. For degrees requiring essay writing skills, it'll certainly be favourable but wont count as an essay based subject.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lealivvy)
In the whole writing paper there are 80 marks available in total for 2 questions. Each are 300 words. In order to apply to Oxford you also need to submit a marked 2000 word essay, I'm guessing 300 words in French isn't sufficient? (but maybe part of my EPQ is...?)

Thanks so much for your help
Non, it isn't. The 300 word literature essays you write, are testing different skills (50% of the marks are for correct idiomatic use of French).

Things like are English Lit, History, RS, Law, Government & Politics, Classical Civilisation and Philosophy are considered essay subjects. Your EPQ doesn't count as an essay-based subject is compulsory at A-level for Oxford Art History.
lealivvy
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help Guess I have to forget about that dream then...
(Original post by 学生の父)
Non, it isn't. The 300 word literature essays you write, are testing different skills (50% of the marks are for correct idiomatic use of French).

Things like are English Lit, History, RS, Law, Government & Politics, Classical Civilisation and Philosophy are considered essay subjects. Your EPQ doesn't count as an essay-based subject is compulsory at A-level for Oxford Art History.
lealivvy
Rep:
?
I don't think Cambridges requires an essay based subject, plan B!
(Original post by 学生の父)

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (406)
56.31%
I don't have everything I need (315)
43.69%

Watched Threads