Can I get into medicine with these grades? Watch

sbtn79
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I am really interested in studying medicine at either Imperial College, UCL, King’s or Sussex but I am not sure if I have any chance of getting in.

I’m currently in year 12 of college studying chemistry, biology and psychology and I am on track/predicted A* in chemistry, A* in biology and an A in psychology. I will also be starting the EPQ in a few months and I hope to get an A* in it.

However for GCSE’s I did not do too great and only got 1 A* (art), 5 B/6’s (English lit, geography, business, science, additional science), and 3 C/5’s (Maths, English Lang and PE).

I have taken part in lots of extra curriculars etc and I hope these will hopefully make up for my bad GCSE grades.

Stuff I have done:

- Part time job.
- Work experience (5 days) in California shadowing a doctor.
- Volunteered for 5/6 weeks in the summer at a clinic/hospital in California during the summer holiday.
- Charity work (raised over £500 for the Christie Charity).
- Volunteered at college open evenings.
- Regularly attend Medicine society at college.
- Attended several medicine/chemistry/biology related conferences.
- Attended chemistry after school training to prepare for the Chemistry Analytical Challenge which I will be competing in sometime in the summer against other students across the U.K.
- Work experience at a local hospital shadowing a doctor for 5 days (digestive diseases department).
- Silver in the Cambridge Chemsitry Challenge.
- Work experience at a special needs school for 5 days.
- Regularly read medicine-related books.
- Will be doing the Chemistry Olympiad in year 2 of college.
- Will be starting volunteering in the Summer at a hospital for duration of 6 months.

I hope someone is able to help me with this as I am really not sure if I even have a chance. Many thanks.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would suggest you resit maths and English language.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sbtn79)
I am really interested in studying medicine at either Imperial College, UCL, King’s or Sussex but I am not sure if I have any chance of getting in.

I’m currently in year 12 of college studying chemistry, biology and psychology and I am on track/predicted A* in chemistry, A* in biology and an A in psychology. I will also be starting the EPQ in a few months and I hope to get an A* in it.

However for GCSE’s I did not do too great and only got 1 A* (art), 5 B/6’s (English lit, geography, business, science, additional science), and 3 C/5’s (Maths, English Lang and PE).

I have taken part in lots of extra curriculars etc and I hope these will hopefully make up for my bad GCSE grades.

Stuff I have done:

- Part time job.
- Volunteered for 5/6 weeks in the summer at a clinic/hospital in California during the summer holiday.
- Attended chemistry after school training to prepare for the Chemistry Analytical Challenge which I will be competing in sometime in the summer against other students across the U.K.
- Work experience at a local hospital shadowing a doctor for 5 days (digestive diseases department).
- Will be starting volunteering in the Summer at a hospital for duration of 6 months.

I hope someone is able to help me with this as I am really not sure if I even have a chance. Many thanks.
Have a look at

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
hello256
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A lot of the London unis look at GCSEs in some way (specifically English and Maths). I think UCL requires you to have a level 6 in English and Maths so I think your best bet would be to retake these exams. I applied to Brighton and Sussex and they tend to look at GCSEs a lot in the interview selection process because they don't look at your personal statement. I'm not a huge expert but you can find it all here: https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/
Good luck

Stuff I have done:

- Part time job.

5thchild
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What does your school careers advisor have to say about it? My daughter has 1 A* (8), 2 A’s and 7 B’s, has work experience at a city hospital, has got 2 weeks shadowing booked in 7 different hospitals and has worked as a waitress at weekends since 14 yrs old. Lots of extra curriculars and the careers advisor is trying to steer her away from applying for medicine
ughhelpme
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, sorry - how did your daughter get 2 weeks of shadowing in hospitals? It's so difficult from where I'm from, I've contacted nearly close to 14 hospitals, and the responses I get are they only take undergraduates for medicine! Would really appreciate the help x Thank you
(Original post by 5thchild)
What does your school careers advisor have to say about it? My daughter has 1 A* (8), 2 A’s and 7 B’s, has work experience at a city hospital, has got 2 weeks shadowing booked in 7 different hospitals and has worked as a waitress at weekends since 14 yrs old. Lots of extra curriculars and the careers advisor is trying to steer her away from applying for medicine
ughhelpme
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am pretty sure your daughter can apply to a less GCSE Heavy uni such as - UCL who only require MATHS & English GCSE, fight back. She can do it. I know many people that have!
(Original post by ughhelpme)
Hey, sorry - how did your daughter get 2 weeks of shadowing in hospitals? It's so difficult from where I'm from, I've contacted nearly close to 14 hospitals, and the responses I get are they only take undergraduates for medicine! Would really appreciate the help x Thank you
ughhelpme
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey! Maybe you can do Medicine with Foundation/Gateway?? x

Stuff I have done:

- Part time job.

TheProphetsPath
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Message me

Stuff I have done:

- Part time job.

Your extra curricular are very good, but your personal statement is only a page remember. I'd recommend you to focus more on your GCSE resits and your Alevels - getting great predicted grades. For your GCSEs it's pretty mandatory that you retake them and get your math and lang up to a B minimum. Aside from that, don't focus too much on your uni options now just get everything up to the highest quality as possible. Then look at the universities you can apply to, afterwards focus on your ukcat and bmat.
5thchild
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We booked 2 weeks for our daughter in thailand in July to shadow doctors in 7 different hospitals because we weren’t sure she could get any work experience here. But now she is volunteering in the city hospital on the cardiac ward, is signed for a 2 day ‘future medics’ event at another hospital, and just waiting confirmation of 5 days shadowing at another county hospital
TheProphetsPath
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We booked 2 weeks for our daughter in thailand in July to shadow doctors in 7 different hospitals because we weren’t sure she could get any work experience here. But now she is volunteering in the city hospital on the cardiac ward, is signed for a 2 day ‘future medics’ event at another hospital, and just waiting confirmation of 5 days shadowing at another county hospital
You didn't explain how
5thchild
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TheProphetsPath)
You didn't explain how
Oh sorry, we booked through pre-med projects which was recommended by her school
TheProphetsPath
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh sorry, we booked through pre-med projects which was recommended by her school
unbelievably expensive
5thchild
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
unbelievably expensive
Is that a problem??
5thchild
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
U
unbelievably expensive
Is that a problem?
Sinnoh
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If she can absolutely smash the UKCAT and BMAT (if applicable) then surely she's got a shout at getting in. The medical school doesn't really matter too much in the long run, anyway - even if some are more competitive than others.

Same goes for the OP, but I reckon you should retake English and maths also. They may want a 6 or more.
TheProphetsPath
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
don't listen to the advisor. Apply for medicine. She's got all she needs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (152)
18.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (80)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (138)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (115)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.46%

Watched Threads