The Student Room Group

Maths degree - career pathways after uni?

Hi, I'm currently invested in studying a mathematics degree or maths w/economics at university as I'm not too sure what I want to do in life as of yet and feel like maths gives me a broad selection of careers open for me.

I was wondering what sort of careers could I go in after this? (excluding the typical accounting jobs) like is there any applied maths jobs?

Also if I chose to do a masters, what degrees would I qualify for? For example could I do a masters in some form of engineering with a BSc in maths.
You can go into computer science or software engineering
A popular pathway these days is Data Science and Machine Learning.
Maths probably opens more options than anything else. A lot depends on the type and modules you choose. It goes from teaching through computer coding to statistics in industry to mechanics etc.
Reply 4
I'm in the same boat but I'm thinking about trying to go into research/teaching. I would like ideas too though :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Afterlife?
You can go into computer science or software engineering

Really? How would doing maths at uni get me into software engineering, I thought computer science was for that?
Reply 6
Original post by ···
A popular pathway these days is Data Science and Machine Learning.

What is data science? Like what does a job in it consist of?
Most maths degrees involve coding languages as part of the course and Maths graduates are very much in demand due to the amount of problem solving involved. Places like GCHQ also look for Mathematicians. Also companies like Rolls Royce and Aerospace use Maths grads. The list of Maths roles is endless http://www.sussex.ac.uk/maths/ugstudy/careers/careers_destinations
Original post by JamalH
Really? How would doing maths at uni get me into software engineering, I thought computer science was for that?
Reply 8
I’m now a third-year maths student. For the same reason, I chose maths to study but now I just fall in love with it. In general a maths degree allows you to apply for masters in any STEM subjects: finance, economics, computer science, business, stats, engineering, etc. But it’s better to make up your mind early, and choose the optional courses relevant to your interests in your second year and third year. Also note that maths courses are full of theories and lack in practical skills, so get ready to learn things by yourself :smile:

ps: if your final goal is to be a software engineer, a CS degree would be much much better.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by konoez.
I’m now a third-year maths student. For the same reason, I chose maths to study but now I just fall in love with it. In general a maths degree allows you to apply for masters in any STEM subjects: finance, economics, computer science, business, stats, engineering, etc. But it’s better to make up your mind early, and choose the optional courses relevant to your interests in your second year and third year. Also note that maths courses are full of theories and lack in practical skills, so get ready to learn things by yourself :smile:

ps: if your final goal is to be a software engineer, a CS degree would be much much better.

Thanks for your reply. My final goal isn't to be a software engineer, but I just want to know whether this career path is possibly open for me in the future?

If you don't mind me asking what are you hoping to do after uni? Also what is your social life like while studying mathematics?
Reply 10
Original post by JamalH
Hi, I'm currently invested in studying a mathematics degree or maths w/economics at university as I'm not too sure what I want to do in life as of yet and feel like maths gives me a broad selection of careers open for me.

I was wondering what sort of careers could I go in after this? (excluding the typical accounting jobs) like is there any applied maths jobs?

Also if I chose to do a masters, what degrees would I qualify for? For example could I do a masters in some form of engineering with a BSc in maths.

Career path in Maths is very broad, since many graduate schemes (as well as other entry level jobs) do not have requirements on what subject degree candidates should come from. You'll find many maths grads working in engineering, sales, health care, finance etc, it would be better for you to start exploring what sort of opportunities are there in each industry, and finding one which matches with your interests through research. For example, I am in my final year and have decided to pursue a career in business (have applied for many analytical roles such as business analyst), since it's something I find interesting. Some of my friends are making the switch to other fields such as physics and creative media.

For your last question, it's entirely dependant on the uni that provides it and the subject: some will allow you, some won't.
Reply 11
Being a software engineer is possible only if you put much much time into learning coding and cs knowledge. Personally, I would be more interested in statistics (or, in other words, data science). As for social life, it totally depends on different universities and programme structures. :smile:

Original post by JamalH
Thanks for your reply. My final goal isn't to be a software engineer, but I just want to know whether this career path is possibly open for me in the future?

If you don't mind me asking what are you hoping to do after uni? Also what is your social life like while studying mathematics?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
What sort of job or jobs you hoping to apply for then within statistics?
In terms of your personal university life what is your social life like? Also do you enjoy your degree?
Original post by konoez.
Being a software engineer is possible only if you put much much time into learning coding and cs knowledge. Personally, I would be more interested in statistics (or, in other words, data science). As for social life, it totally depends on different universities and programme structures. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest