A100 Medicine - University of Sheffield or University of Birmingham? Watch

ryxb98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I recently received offers from both Sheffield and Brum.

I'm an international student starting in September 2019.

I know most of what the programme is gonna be like at both schools. Personally, I prefer Sheffield's. The accommodation seems better, and I've heard about the nightlife etc as well.. but I've never visited Sheffield.

I interviewed for Brum in Brum so I've gotten to see a bit of the city. Seems like in a few years there's gonna be a lot of new infrastructure.

It's hard to decide which offer to accept since I only know so much about Sheffield. Do you have any advice?
EvanH
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm in the exact same position as you with choosing between Sheffield and Birmingham but i live close to Sheffield so know more about there than Birmingham.

The nightlife is really good in Sheffield and there's lots of different options to choose. There are many different places to eat too, both in the city and at Meadowhall, which is a tram away. You've also got Sheffield arena and the O2 which are the main music venues.

Basically Sheffield as a city has so much to offer and there's always something to do.

I do prefer the look of Birmingham as a univeristy though and would say their accommodation, at least for first year, looks better, but that is obviously just a matter of opinion
ryxb98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey!

I was looking at the new accommodation at Sheffield and Allen Court seems really nice. I've seen videos on Ranmoor/Endcliffe and it looks new too (?) but I'm not so sure. Unite Students looks good too. Birmingham's accommodation looks amazing tho. I wanna stay by the lake too So I guess either way I'll have good accommodation.

I'm from Singapore so it's going to be a big change going to Brum/Sheffield. I already felt that Brum was relatively quiet.. so I'm not sure how I'll feel about Sheffield. But I'm looking forward to not running out of things to do hahah

I guess right now I'm more concerned about the medical school facilities? I haven't got to Sheffield's and I can't find much online other than some pictures. Programme-wise, I think I'd pick Sheffield because of weekly dissections and early patient contact. Brum is only prosection and I think that there's early patient contact as well but that's based off a really old document from 2012 that I found online.

Still really confused

Which one are you leaning towards now?
(Original post by EvanH)
I'm in the exact same position as you with choosing between Sheffield and Birmingham but i live close to Sheffield so know more about there than Birmingham.

The nightlife is really good in Sheffield and there's lots of different options to choose. There are many different places to eat too, both in the city and at Meadowhall, which is a tram away. You've also got Sheffield arena and the O2 which are the main music venues.

Basically Sheffield as a city has so much to offer and there's always something to do.

I do prefer the look of Birmingham as a univeristy though and would say their accommodation, at least for first year, looks better, but that is obviously just a matter of opinion
EvanH
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think I'm probably leaning more towards Birmingham, mainly for the fact I think I want to move further than a 20 minute train away from home. But I'm also still confused because both are really good and I don't want to make the wrong decision 😂

Dissection is the main difference between the two I believe; both do have early patient contact (Birmingham do a day in a GP every 2 week).

I don't really know much of the facilities at Sheffield because like you said, there are only a few pictures online, but I have family who work in the teaching hospitals which are really good for clinical years. Hoping the offer holder day gives a better insight to the facilities
(Original post by ryxb98)
Hey!

I was looking at the new accommodation at Sheffield and Allen Court seems really nice. I've seen videos on Ranmoor/Endcliffe and it looks new too (?) but I'm not so sure. Unite Students looks good too. Birmingham's accommodation looks amazing tho. I wanna stay by the lake too So I guess either way I'll have good accommodation.

I'm from Singapore so it's going to be a big change going to Brum/Sheffield. I already felt that Brum was relatively quiet.. so I'm not sure how I'll feel about Sheffield. But I'm looking forward to not running out of things to do hahah

I guess right now I'm more concerned about the medical school facilities? I haven't got to Sheffield's and I can't find much online other than some pictures. Programme-wise, I think I'd pick Sheffield because of weekly dissections and early patient contact. Brum is only prosection and I think that there's early patient contact as well but that's based off a really old document from 2012 that I found online.

Still really confused

rawarhul
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I'm from Singapore too. Not doing medicine (applied for Journalism Studies) and am leaning towards Sheffield
(Original post by ryxb98)
Hey!

Still really confused

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads