The Student Room Group

Should older pupils be allowed to leave the class if the teacher is absent?

When a teacher is absent, we tend to get a cover teacher. However, I'm in my final year and TBH, see no point in having to sit in a class with a cover teacher if we have study facilities available.

So, if a teacher is absent, should the older pupils be allowed to leave and go to a library/study room rather than sit in a room with a cover teacher and not learn much?
If students stay in class they're at least being supervised and should actually study.

Most if left to their own devices would just consider it a free period and goof off.
In my 6th form if the teacher wasn’t in, the lesson was cancelled.
Original post by Joe2001
When a teacher is absent, we tend to get a cover teacher. However, I'm in my final year and TBH, see no point in having to sit in a class with a cover teacher if we have study facilities available.

So, if a teacher is absent, should the older pupils be allowed to leave and go to a library/study room rather than sit in a room with a cover teacher and not learn much?

Our one is quite organised. If the teacher is absent we won’t get a cover teacher. We’re expected to carry on with the work set. Even if we do mess around, it’s our loss.

It portrays the importance of time. In one of my classes currently there’s only one student in a particular year. Even if the teachers not in she will carry on doing her work until the next lesson. I call that dedication.

As for your case, it doesn’t matter it there’s a cover teacher or not. Do your work supervised. It shouldn’t matter to you if there’s a cover teacher or not. Unless you have something to hide.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending