The Student Room Group

CAN I GET A*AA in 9 WEEKS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dpboy00
I have 9 weeks until my A level exams start; I messed up my mocks as i didnt revise. I need to get A*AA as that is my offer for law at bristol. Realistically can i do it? keep in mind i will be revising a lot every day and on weekends. However, theres a lot i need to cover, i do Politics, History and Classics and I dont know which one i can get an A* in. Am i done for?

If you are organised, do past papers and are consistently getting (minimum B) in your practice papers, then yes it is possible. Anything less than a B and you're dreaming.
I got A*,AAC in my mocks, is it enough time for me to bring it up to A*A*AA??
just wondering, as somebody who wants to apply for law at bristol next year, what gcse grades, LSAT score and predicted grades did you apply with? i’ve gone from a D to an A this year with hard work and it’s definitely the few weeks before the exam that count the most so as long as you’re revising smart you’ve got this :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Khushi.S
I got A*,AAC in my mocks, is it enough time for me to bring it up to A*A*AA??

What’s the C in ? Sciences and Maths are really easy to improve if you have understanding but lack recall.
Original post by xAikx
I'm in the same boat but need ABC to do maths at Leeds, need to get Economics from an E grade to a C grade... I'm sure it's possible if you really want it

Lol what? ABC for maths at leeds?? They asked me for AAA for maths lol
Ummm YES. I'm not even being corny, but you can do anything you set your mind to. I barley studied for my finals (I was really depressed) and got straight As (but I'm convinced that this is because I prayed before each and every exam and God came through for me).

Anyways, yes you can.
Reply 26
Original post by Redslayed
Lol what? ABC for maths at leeds?? They asked me for AAA for maths lol

I do further maths and they put me on the access to Leeds thing
Original post by McGravy
What’s the C in ? Sciences and Maths are really easy to improve if you have understanding but lack recall.

Yeah it was in maths... although tbf it was a bit of a surprise as we hadn't actually done any new spec full papers by that point and I did last years pure papers and managed to get 82/100 (did take me a good 5 hours though) and 63/100 (hadn't covered about 15 marks work of stuff yet) so I have improved but still, I hope I have enough time
Honestly though, History Classics and Politics are not exactly the hardest A-Levels.
If it was Chemistry or Further-Maths or even Physics it would be a different story. Also English Literature, it requires a lot of work. But Politics and Classics? No worries. Work hard, avoid distractions (like this distraction I am subdued by in this present moment; being active on TSR).
Good luck.
Reply 29
Original post by Avnesheres12
Honestly though, History Classics and Politics are not exactly the hardest A-Levels.
If it was Chemistry or Further-Maths or even Physics it would be a different story. Also English Literature, it requires a lot of work. But Politics and Classics? No worries. Work hard, avoid distractions (like this distraction I am subdued by in this present moment; being active on TSR).
Good luck.

Yeah i see your point the problem is although i agree Physics and further maths is probably harder to understand but its easier to revise. Classics has too much content that needs to be recalled in depth, I have to know The Odyssey, The Aeneid inside out along with 3 tragic and comedic plays. Also, the works of Plato, Ovid, Sappho's poetry and Seneca's philosophy with all the quotes like the books above and critical quotes. On top of this we have to know Ancient Greek and Roman context and history inside out aswell. I dont think its harder than say Physics and Further maths but its just a lot to know in detail, it requires a lot of time which i fear i dont have anymore and given the combination of my subjects its not ideal because it is a lot of information for each of them. I just hope i can remember it.
Original post by dpboy00
Yeah i see your point the problem is although i agree Physics and further maths is probably harder to understand but its easier to revise. Classics has too much content that needs to be recalled in depth, I have to know The Odyssey, The Aeneid inside out along with 3 tragic and comedic plays. Also, the works of Plato, Ovid, Sappho's poetry and Seneca's philosophy with all the quotes like the books above and critical quotes. On top of this we have to know Ancient Greek and Roman context and history inside out aswell. I dont think its harder than say Physics and Further maths but its just a lot to know in detail, it requires a lot of time which i fear i dont have anymore and given the combination of my subjects its not ideal because it is a lot of information for each of them. I just hope i can remember it.

Yeah you know what, I apologise if I came across as rude. I don't undervalue humanities. I honestly don't. Physics is not harder than Classics; no. You are right. It's just a matter of what kind of person you are. But ultimately I believe everyone should have a balanced set of A Levels, not just humanities or just mathematics-based stuff.
You're doing Ovid! That's so cool! Have you come across Metamorphoses in the course before?
Reply 31
Original post by Avnesheres12
Yeah you know what, I apologise if I came across as rude. I don't undervalue humanities. I honestly don't. Physics is not harder than Classics; no. You are right. It's just a matter of what kind of person you are. But ultimately I believe everyone should have a balanced set of A Levels, not just humanities or just mathematics-based stuff.
You're doing Ovid! That's so cool! Have you come across Metamorphoses in the course before?

Yes did come across it but we arent actually studying it; we are focusing on the Ars Amatoria. And no dont worry you werent being rude; ive just always thought that more mathematical subjects are harder to grasp but easier to revise and humanities is more essentially being able to analyse and remember. Truth is over these 9 weeks i will be basically teaching myself all my A levels all over again......looking like an impossible uphill battle, its as if all the effort to get an offer has already been wasted.
Yeah you can. I know people who got A’s from 2 weeks of solid revision.
The key is: don’t waste time, go through past papers, ask your teachers for help.

Good luck! 👌
There is actually enough time; don't listen to the people saying otherwise! You just need to use it wisely and make sure you revise effectively. Also work out which subject is your strongest and then work hardest at that for your A*. Also since they are art subjects, you should probably have a good understanding of how to lay out your essays. You can't just memorise everything and expect to be ok
Nine weeks is just about enough, but you'll really have to work for it. Leaving it this late implies that you probably haven't worked too hard for a while, which will mean that the amount of effort that you have to exert may actually feel uncomfortable for it to be truly sufficient.
Original post by dpboy00
Yes did come across it but we arent actually studying it; we are focusing on the Ars Amatoria. And no dont worry you werent being rude; ive just always thought that more mathematical subjects are harder to grasp but easier to revise and humanities is more essentially being able to analyse and remember. Truth is over these 9 weeks i will be basically teaching myself all my A levels all over again......looking like an impossible uphill battle, its as if all the effort to get an offer has already been wasted.

You can do it. Work hard, avoid distractions. It’s only a temporary adversity. Good luck!
Same boat as you - Law at Bristol / King’s for A*AA
I got ABC for mocks which I revised for, but getting the grades we need is not too far. Depending on your coursework grade, A* is slightly easier for history since with my coursework, I would have an solid A* from an A and it usually make a grade difference. I take chemistry (C) and Economics (B) both which I ran out of time for, and generally could have learnt the content in more detail and done whole past papers rather than specific questions

which are relatively easy to overcome in 9 weeks.

Look at what you did bad in mocks, not just the lack of content and memory, and make sure you have technique down. GOOD LUCK!
(edited 5 years ago)
9 weeks is a long time. I'm on a similar boat actually.i started homeschooling because of my health and I wasn't doing so good the past few months. now that I've gotten back on my two feet, i realized I actually haven't finished a chunk of the syllabus. (I'm doing bio. physics and maths).But for some reason, my goal score of three A* doesn't seem like a faraway dream.anyways, i believe, actually know that 9 weeks is enough time to dig up every bit of confidence in yourself and to build a strong mind to face your exams. this whole
no
Reply 39
Thanks for the support guys. I guess im just going to have to revise tons everyday; im thinking of sticking to two subjects per day. I want to get to a point about 6 weeks from now where I am just doing practice timed essays...thats when it starts seeming tight.

Quick Reply

Latest